Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Derbygirl thanks for reply! I noticed that I failed to mention that I have stopped when I feel full and have only felt the "OMG I'm so full I can't breathe" feeling ONCE and that was with a Protein Shake with part of a banana and some Bryers carb smart ice cream! If I would have stopped with ONE shake I would have been OK but I fixed the 2nd and didn't even drink 1/2 of it!! I was miserable for about 2 hrs afterwards!! UGH Won't do that again!!

<p>

P.S. Why the heck can't we EDIT on this board anymore????

We can edit. You just have to click on 'go advanced' and edit away. However, the tags are there (such as the tags to indicate paragraphs) and you have to delete them or it looks strange. I'm sure this problem could be easily fixed.

My band seems to be working as it should (I've had one fill) but it is easy to succumb to 'soft' temptation. I have had chocolate a few times and I can see how something like that could get out of hand. I'm going to lay off it for a while or just have a tiny piece of the really strong stuff. I have also noticed that it's really hard to eat in the morning but easier at night. I'm a bit paranoid at the thought of PBing and sliming and am nervous when eating solid vegetables but some broccoli and carrot went down OK yesterday. I chewed them into oblivion.

A couple of funny things I am noticing are:

I just ate a meal. Now normally pre-banding, I would be ready for a second helping not long afterwards. Especially on the weekends when I would just eat all day. Now I realise 'Oh, I'm full. I physically can't have another meal.' Odd!

Another thing is, I am buy far too many groceries. I live alone so my family can't eat them. I have a month's worth of food around the place. I'd prepare meals and put them in the freezer but I did that last week and my freezer is full.

I don't know whether it's taking me time to adapt to the much smaller shopping or it's my food obsession taking another form. I can't eat it but by God I'm going to buy it.

I lost track of this thread for awhile, but now I'm caught up again.

It's so nice to read the posts here and be able to relate!!!

taramisu.

i was doing "okay". i get on kicks and cant get off them. i eat food in phases, like "the birthday cake phase" and "the kfc phase" ..see where im going?

Friday my husband brings home an entire taramisu. its one of my most favorite Desserts. Its Sunday, and ive eaten the entire thing, sometimes three slices at a time.

I tried not looking at it, i tried going hiking. I even ate a bowl of Cereal INSTEAD and later went back in and got the remaining pieces.

i go in for my first fill after being rebanded in five days. i cant wait, and im looking forward to getting the fill...but you know what? tarimisu can get through regardless. i have to be more careful. i feel like i failed. it will take a while to shake this.

lizrbit,

i can relate ... i am going through a "eat anything that is not good for me" phase.

we went to Ikea yesterday. 4 chocolate bars .. and they are BIG bars. i ate 1 last night.

went to Target Friday - carrot cake ... i LOVE carrot cake. so i bought it. i am scared to death to step on the scale. i know i've gained at least 5 pounds.

so today i worked out for 90+ minutes cardio and did 3x15 crunches and 2x15 side crunches (one set each side)...

but for lunch? happy meal from McD.... what is wrong with me???? i know it is TOM (soon) but still ...

i saw a shirt at the gym today the back said "Whatever it takes" .. i need to figure that out and just do it. the pitiful thing is - i KNOW what it takes. why can i not do it? :)

Boy I can relate! I am eating Ice cream and Cookies. I have stayed the same but need to get past this. I am not sure how to get back on track. I am very frustrated with myself! I've been banded a year and can't get back on track for the past month! Any suggestions?

Has anyone else gained weight 2 wks post op? I gained 2 lbs last wk and I am TICKED OFF about it!! GRRRRRRRR I am ready for restriction baby!

Hello all,

One week prior to being banded I weighed 511 lbs. On the day of my procedure (5/18/07) after 1 week on nothing but liquids, I weighed 494 lbs.

I was banded by Dr. Felix Spiegel (10cc VG Band) in the University General Hospital in Houston, Texas. My stay in that hospital was by far the finest experience in my life (as far as hospitals go). The facility itself and the people, were unbelievable and catered to my and my family's every need. I just can't say enough about it.

When I went for my 1 week post-op Dr's appointment, I weighed 483 lbs (a total loss of 28 lbs) and was doing fine.

One month later I went for my first fill from Dr. Spiegel. I had gained back 3 lbs (486), so he gave me a 4cc fill (wow!). It took me 30 minutes to drink a 17oz bottle of Water afterwords.

It's been two weeks since that fill and as of day before yesterday, I had lost another 13 lbs (38 total).

So far I am very pleased with my banding experience although I've had a few PB episodes and am learning by doing which foods I can and can't eat. I know I haven't been banded near as long as most of you folks, and I'm just a rookie with miles and miles to go, but like I said, I'm happy with my decision to be banded and with the results so far.

Glad you folks are here to talk to from time to time.

Have a good one.

Hammer

dots are another thing.

everytime i go to the movies, i gotta have something to eat. we used to sneak low carb snack bars and low carb treats like beef Jerky in, worked okay, but i have a big weakness for dots. they are like Gummy jelly Beans without the hard candy surface. :) and they fit right through the hole.

i eat one at a time, and chew it all over my teeth.

i am honestly hoping this first fill will give me some real strength to fight this stuff off. My honeymoon feeling lasted until my rebanding, and now i find its wayning. I still get out there and walk every day, as well as ride my bike outside each morning. im still trying.

now theres no tiramisu or dots in the house i stand a chance.

we leave tomorrow to go to houston. My appointment is the thirteenth.

Im going to ask him to just fill the damn thing up.

fill it all the way up.

Hi everyone. I hope you don't mind if I jump in here. I went to a surgical seminar last night and I just left a message with the dietician that my the surgeon I'm using recommended to set up and appointment for my six month supervised diet. Once I complete the diet and get my psych evaluation, then the insurance company will approve me. So, I'm looking at early 2008 for my banding. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do the six month diet so that I could get banded sooner, but c'est la vie. I'll do what I need to do. I have a long way to go and I hope to "meet" you guys soon. :P

Hi I'm Danie I started at 284 pounds I'm 5'2 with a small frame and my BMI was over 50. I had the band done April 10th and as of june 4th ( my second fill) i had lost 40 pounds (244) and went from a size 28 to a size 22 with room. I have to admit I have started exercising because I want this weight off more than anything...I was never over weight I was a cheerleader and I was in pagents all my life ..I had 5 kids and BAMMMMMMMMM ...I turned into the side of a barn and the funny thing is I didnt really realize it ..How the heck does that happen??? lol NEway what i do to exercise since i have all these kids is I go to the middle school track about 6 30 pm and let the kids play on the play ground or race me around the track and i just slowly walk I figure slow is better than not at all. Plus doing it this way helps keep my children from getting in the same situation as we all benifit from it. ;)

Hi everyone. I hope you don't mind if I jump in here. I went to a surgical seminar last night and I just left a message with the dietician that my the surgeon I'm using recommended to set up and appointment for my six month supervised diet. Once I complete the diet and get my psych evaluation, then the insurance company will approve me. So, I'm looking at early 2008 for my banding. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do the six month diet so that I could get banded sooner, but c'est la vie. I'll do what I need to do. I have a long way to go and I hope to "meet" you guys soon. :)

Since you can't do anything about it, (I had to do the same thing) take the time to work on your mental aspects of being overweight...It's a tough nut to crack, it's proactive for your long term success and you've got nothing to lose...well just a bunch a weight once you get banded!

Welcome.