Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

COngrats Hazelbunny!! I was out shopping with my (skinny) mom the other day and I was admiring a size 16 sweater... I'm still in 28s right now. I can't wait to start dropping sizes!!

Awesome Katey! I once starved myself to a size 18 and I was so happy to put those pants on. I kept them for years hoping I'd fit into them again. It's a significant NSV for you.

Suzzzie - I'm probably a size 28 too. The problem is, in Australia, they don't even sell size 28 in clothing stores. Not anywhere- they only go as high as 26 (and even 26 has only been around for 10 years).

If you want larger, you'd have to go mail-order and order some tent-like floral dresses or go online and order from US sites. I don't know what really big people do here. Get their clothes made I guess. I've always been able to fit 26 on the bottom but have had to go to 'Big Men's' stores to find tops. Luckily, the men tend to leave all the girlie colours/styles for me. Even in the big men's store, I was in the maximum size (7XL) Hence the lapband. It was kind of embarrassing shopping in men's clothes at first. I'm happy I don't have to go back in there again. I'll fit size 26 on top within 6 weeks for sure.

VeraThomas 50 pounds since April is nothing to be disappointed about. Not many bandsters lose that much in such a short time. I'd be over the moon with that loss. I certainly hope I reach it. I've lost 34 pounds in my first two and a half months. That's including pre-op. I'm really happy with that.

Darragha - you're doing great. You must have been retaining a lot of Fluid to notice it in your face already.

CrazyAce - the first few days a killer but you got through them. I was on liquids for a months. I still have flashbacks. It's only temporary and you'll get through it.

Suzzzie - I'm probably a size 28 too. The problem is, in Australia, they don't even sell size 28 in clothing stores. Not anywhere- they only go as high as 26 (and even 26 has only been around for 10 years).

If you want larger, you'd have to go mail-order and order some tent-like floral dresses or go online and order from US sites. I don't know what really big people do here. Get their clothes made I guess. I've always been able to fit 26 on the bottom but have had to go to 'Big Men's' stores to find tops. Luckily, the men tend to leave all the girlie colours/styles for me. Even in the big men's store, I was in the maximum size (7XL) Hence the lapband. It was kind of embarrassing shopping in men's clothes at first. I'm happy I don't have to go back in there again. I'll fit size 26 on top within 6 weeks for sure.

Ya know - I find it very sexist and double stadard-ish that stores sell mens clothes up to size 7x and yet they only go to 24-26 for women (which is what, 3x-4x?) Its insane. AND the large womens clothes, as you mentioned, are gawdy floral prints, or horazontal lines, or just not at all in fashion. Whereas in mens clothing you can find the exact same shirt in a size small as you find in size 7x. All the styles and prints are the same. They even have the whole 'Big Daddy' clothing line that caters to large men. I saw one the other day that said "Once you go BIG you never go back"... would they EVER put anything like that on a womans shirt? Would they ever Celebrate a womans curves like that? Nope. It's very irritating and I can't stand it.

OK, I"m done ranting now.

I live in NYC---it is really hard to find any thing nice in a 26 or 28 I normally wait until I visit my mom in NC---for some reason there is just more plus size stuff in the south.

HazelBunny - BIG congrats!

I am a little frustrated because even after 45lbs I haven't changed clothes sizes - but things I have fit better. I put my favorite pants on today. The were snug around my legs even when I was standing up, but I noticed today that they have movement - YEAH! I recently tried some clothes on at Fashion Bug and was disappointed that I am not a 24 yet - but I have pretty much been in denial that I was anything over a 24 anyway, so I have to accept that and keep going.

I also noticed today that my seat belt fits better and the steering wheel doesn't rub my belly when I drive! It is happening, but not fast enough for me!

HazelBunny - BIG congrats!

I am a little frustrated because even after 45lbs I haven't changed clothes sizes - but things I have fit better. I put my favorite pants on today. The were snug around my legs even when I was standing up, but I noticed today that they have movement - YEAH! I recently tried some clothes on at Fashion Bug and was disappointed that I am not a 24 yet - but I have pretty much been in denial that I was anything over a 24 anyway, so I have to accept that and keep going.

I also noticed today that my seat belt fits better and the steering wheel doesn't rub my belly when I drive! It is happening, but not fast enough for me!

These are the NSV's that are worth it. They make you feel great when you don't have a SV that week. You will start noticing the smallest things. It is great. When other people notice and start pointing it out, it is so worth it. It isn't in the pounds, it is in everything else in your life. I promise, you will learn to take the NSV's over the SV's any day.

I have learned from experience.....even though the scale isn't moving, your body is changing. I was looking back at pictures yesterday from June 29th and there was such a big difference in the way I look. It is amazing. You don't realize how much 5 or 10 pounds does for you.

Congrats on all of it!!!

Erin

I posted my schedule on my publisher's forum (in the authors only section) so that folks would know what was going on with me. Generally speaking, the support I'm receiving from my family, friends and comrades is very encouraging. I did receive one reply from another author who expressed reasonable concerns because of her sister's problems with a gastric bypass.

Yanno what: In replying to her, I figured out why I am so excited about having the lap band surgery, and I had to run over here and share with you.

I'm ready to move on from my love affair with food. It's been a long, sordid romance. A little nosh here and there instead of a full plate at the buffet will work for me as I mosey into my second half century. I think back on my love affair and feel so happy I am walking away from it.

I am leaving an unhealthy relationship behind and am on the brink of having a wild, passionate affair with someone/thing I've been neglecting: my own body.

This is one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Thank you for allowing me to wax poetic.

Darr

h everyone,

i am not new here, but i have not visited for quite some time, thought i would pop in again! I live in South Australia, i have been banded for a few yrs now but failed to lsoe weight for about 5 yrs and had lots of problems with swallowing. they took all the Fluid out of the band adn almost took the band out. eventually i was diagnosed as having MS and that was causing the swallowing problems. once i new what the issue was i worked with a dietcian to modify the rules- back in november last year i was 386 pounds with a bmi of 60.9, now i have lost 125 pounds, i weigh 261 and have a bmi of 40.9.

AS well as having ms i am also an amputee, i lost my leg at theknee 12 yrs ago and my remaining leg is ms affected. I have not had a prosthesis for about 5 yrs- until last month that is! it is very hard to fit a MO person with a prosthesis, especially when a an above knee prosthess is needed, it takes approx 80 % extra energy expenditure to walk with an AK prosthesis even if you are normal weight. early this year i bought a knee scooter and started trying to get a little bit mobile and that was enough to persuade the rehab Drs to try making a prosthess. they agreed but said that i would only walk a few steps at a time- in fact i can walk about 50 meters ( i have also had a knee replacement in the other leg some yrs ago!). Needless to say i am very proud of that achievement!

mjsafari- you said that you were frustrated that you could not see that you had lost 45 pounds, i could have written the same post! in fact i think i did post on another board when i got to about 60 that it was embaressing that i was so big that i could not see the effects of dropping 50 to 60. truth is you are probably being tough on yourself! when i eventually usued a photo editing program to overlay a new photo over the original one, it became obvious that i had actually gotten significantly smaller- i tink its just tough for us to see because we see our reflections daily- now i do these update phots monthly as well as body measurements so that i have objective proff as to wether i am bigger smaller or the same- its worth doing! just use phot shop or gimp ( someting similar, make the newer photo a secondlayer over the frst photo and then make the second layer transparent- as long as thephots are taken in the same spot and posture, you can see some interesting changes.

I have another 95 to 100 to get to goal but for the frst time in my life, losign ogreater than 50 % of my original body weight seems possible. I have proven to myself that even if you are completely immobile ( electric wheelchair), and have not only faled to lose weght but gained weight with the band for 5 yrs, you can turn that around and lose weight! i am over half way there now and it may take a whle but i know i will get there. As for lose skin that someone expressed concern about, i will deal with that at goal, in the meantime, i where the apron as proof of my success, as another poster said, i would rather it droop infront than been there and full of fat sticking out infront- at least good underwear can manage the loose skin!

Wow, Karenb

Against all odds, huh? Congrats and all my best wishes for good health and a remarkable outcome.

Darr

I had a BMI of 61.8 (360 pounds) before surgery in 2004. I now weigh 220 and have a BMI of 37.8. I didn't realize it had come down quite so much!! It sure does get harder the lower you get but it's worth every second. My goal is to be 160 - for a total loss of 200 pounds. I know I can do it :confused:

KarenB - thanks for info on the photos. I am been thinking about taking some. I have one of my husband and I pre-band that I need to scan in and have new photos next to. I think that will help. Congrats on your success! You are an inspiration!

RubyJane - GREAT JOB! Keep it up! Stories like yours help those behind you to keep going.

Erin - thanks for the encouragement. I have been looking for NSVs, because the scale can be very frustrating!

Hello all I am new to this site. I haven't been banded yet but am only a month or two away..I hope! I haeve another 29lbs to lose before my doctor will band me. I am looking for some suggestions on how to lose this pre-op weight. I have been doing partial liquid diet for the last 1 week and 1 day where i drink liquids all day but have a normal dinner...mostly meat and veggies and very little carbs. I have lost about 5 lbs but thats all. Don't know what else I can do...any help is appreciated..thanks!!!

Great posts Karen and Ruby. You have filled me with hope.

April, I have no suggestions other than 3 replacement meals. No one wants to do that but it's the only thing that will get a lot of weight off quickly. It's tough but it can be achieved. Perhaps you are insulin resistant or have PCOS or thyroid difficulties. Have you had a full bloodcount done? I hope others have better suggestions and I hope you can jump this last hurdle (no need to add that it's a really ridiculous requirement). Talk to your doctor, if it's not an insurance issue, he might be willing to be flexible.

In any case, don't give up. It looks as though you have lost a lot already. Keep up with the liquids and healthy meal for a while and see if you lose more.

April - What are you liquids? If they aren't low cal, low carb, you may want to consider a change. My husband and I used SlimFast low carb Protein Drinks with success pre-op. For Snacks between Protein, we had egg drop Soup or just chicken broth, and SF/FF Popsicles. We also did not have any carbonated soda - even sugar/calorie free. We drank mostly Water, but had iced tea with Splenda or Stevia sometimes.

Hope this helps! Good Luck