Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

If alcoholics or drug addicts walked around with their addictions showing - would anyone dare to make fun of them? Does anyone make fun of an obvious anorexic they pass on the street? NOPE - then why is it acceptable to make comments about overweight people?

My husband won't tell me if someone gives me a look or a whispered comment, because he knows I will be right there in their face. I really don't care what people think about me, but I do care if they think it is okay to say something - especially if there are children around. Are they teaching their kids to hate everyone different from them or just fat people? Okay now I am on a tangent - I will step off!

I had my last fill July 5th – and my next (if needed) is supposed to be on the 16th of August. But I’m going in on Thursday (Aug 2nd) for a fluro look-see because something just isn’t right...

:help: Have any of you gotten tighter as time went on…without a fill? :) I’m now not able to eat even 1.5 oz of straight-up soft tuna salad without getting that “oops, shouldn’t have had that last bite” feeling in the center of my chest. Two weeks ago (July 15th, in fact) I was able to eat a full 3oz of tuna salad served on soy-puff chip thingies. It’s not just tuna salad (a mushy for Pete’s sake) that’s filling me much faster in the last week-to-week-&-a-half, either. Nothing comes back up at all, but the pressure is just at that border of discomfort... Not that I MIND having restriction, but why is my band getting tighter without the aid of a fill?

I’m sitting here, having just tried a spoonful of smooth Peanut Butter for dinner (has never caused me a problem before) and I have that pressure in the center of my chest – it’s peanut butter!!!!! I had a Wendy’s Jr. Frosty (treat, not normally part of my diet) last night & it, too, gave me this same chest pressure feeling. Are we or are we not supposed to be able to actually cheat the band with junk like milkshakes?!? Not that I want to cheat it, but what the frig is up if I can’t even have a milkshake without pressure!?!?

I have never PBed (yet – knock on wood), and have only slimed 3 or 4 times since my banding 5-1/2 months ago. So I keep trying to rationalize the chest pressure away...can’t be a slip because I haven’t had actual issues with food!! I’m not even having PROBLEMS now – no slime, no PB, & I can drink Water just fine... And I’ve got great restriction even! But things are tighter now than they were just after the last fill………and so I’m starting to fret a bit.

:) Opinions? :help: (Pardon the cross-post, BTW!)

I agree with you Missy. Obesity is the last ACCEPTABLE prejudice. Look no further than Hollywood for evidence of that.

Thanks for your posts. They were very interesting to read actually. Hugs to Phyl and everyone else too. It is nice to talk about this stuff because I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing this kind of thing with most people. Not even my friends. They are all thin and pretty (but lovely people too). We just skirt around the fact that I am big. It's the elephant in the room LOL!

Suzanne - others on here have mentioned tightening up, even 2 weeks after their fill. I think it is smart for you to have the doc check it out. I am extremely tight after my fill on Monday, but have decided to wait and see if it loosens up. I have another appt. in 2 weeks, so I will see how it goes. I got about 1/2 a package of oatmeal down this morning. Definitely have the tightness in my chest from the first bite, but if I wait between bites, like I am supposed to, then I can get some more in. No sliming or PB's for me either - Knock on wood. I don't want to do that, I have watched my husband do it!

Insub - I think we can talk about anything here and someone else will have experienced the same thing - especially on this thread!

I like best the notion that this is not actually a problem but rather some delayed feeling of restriction. :biggrin1: The “why” theory behind it still escapes me, but I’ll take that one! :thumb: I've never had a fill (this one was my 4th) with delayed effects, but maybe that's what's going on. :noidea:

I'm going to try sticking to just Liquid Protein today to see if that helps thing relax a bit -- especially since stress has suddenly become a huge issue in the last 2 days. And then tomorrow will be the fluro to make sure everything still looks as it should inside... I like the restriction, but I'm perplexed by the delayed reaction!! :)

BTW, Missy…you wouldn’t happen to know any great 20-something lady Chief fans :cheer2:who’d be interested in relocating to Virginia, would you? ;) I’ve got this wonderful brother (29) with a penchant for all things KC & season tickets back at Arrowhead… (We lived in Omaha as kids, thanks to the Air Force, and KCs as close to an NFL home team as you get in NE!)

Suzanne

OMGoodness...

I am hungry. I have a headache. I want to curl up like my kitty does and take a nap. The pre-op diet is a bit of an adjustment, huh?

I'm assuming the hunger and fatigue pass after a few days. Right?

I am starting the pre-op diet sooner than directed. I GAINED weight during June and July--14lbs. If I get a jump start on the necessary pre-surgery weight loss now, I'll be ahead of the game.

I'm feeling my liver shrinking as I type.

Thanks,

Darr

Suzzane - Sorry - the only single chief's fan I know is my niece - she is a hotty, but she is in California! I can't wait for the season to start!

Darr - I am not going to promise the feeling will pass - I felt crappy most of the 2 weeks I was on the pre-op, so much so I cheated. I don't recommend that though, I almost didn't get my band, because my liver was still large even after losing 11lbs. My surgeon is great though and got me done. I kept reminding myself that this was not my permenent diet, I had 38 years to eat anything that I wanted, and my kids need me! My body fights hard when I don't feed it carbs, so looking back I probably should have thrown a regular Protein Shake in sometimes, instead of the low carb ones to help will some of the headaches and hunger.

Looking at what I've eaten so far today:

A Slimfast Optima shake. This has 25 carbs.

coffee w/ half&half (but way less than I usually drink)

1 cup of veggies w/ chicken

1 Activa yogurt

1 Protein Water (oooo...I like these!)

1 cup of egg drop Soup w/ 1 tbsp of mixed veggies in it

1 Atkins shake (low carb)

This has been my Breakfast, snack and lunch. For dinner I'm having a home-cooked organic beef patty on 1 slice of high Fiber bread and a wedge of ice-berg lettuce with 2 tbsp of blue cheese dressing. I have lots of onions from my garden, too-- so I might cook my patty in home-grown little purple onion bits.

I have two water bottles to finish this afternoon and will drink at least one more tonight. I've done nothing but piddle all day long. :)

I'm trying to follow a low-cal, low-carb diet to get that liver shrinkage in. My daughter took a photo of me standing on a postal scale on 7/31, then took a photo of the weight read out. I'm going to start posting these photos and blog about my journey in the near future. I'm going to take the photos to my consult, too. "Hi, I weighed 348lbs on 7/31. I've worked my rear-end off and have lost XXlbs by today. Let's schedule my surgery! I'm working the program!"

Darr ;)

wow you get to have food--all i can have is 5 slim fast shakes and 2 cups of veggies with chicken broth---i am sooooooooooooooooo hungry and dizzy----and this is just day 3----

I like best the notion that this is not actually a problem but rather some delayed feeling of restriction. :biggrin1: The “why” theory behind it still escapes me, but I’ll take that one! :thumb: I've never had a fill (this one was my 4th) with delayed effects, but maybe that's what's going on. :noidea:

I'm going to try sticking to just liquid Protein today to see if that helps thing relax a bit -- especially since stress has suddenly become a huge issue in the last 2 days. And then tomorrow will be the fluro to make sure everything still looks as it should inside... I like the restriction, but I'm perplexed by the delayed reaction!! :)

BTW, Missy…you wouldn’t happen to know any great 20-something lady Chief fans :cheer2:who’d be interested in relocating to Virginia, would you? :lol: I’ve got this wonderful brother (29) with a penchant for all things KC & season tickets back at Arrowhead… (We lived in Omaha as kids, thanks to the Air Force, and KCs as close to an NFL home team as you get in NE!)

Suzanne

Hey!! I live in KC and am a Chiefs fan!! :) But I don't want to move. Maybe it would just be easier, and closer to the CHIEFS if he moved here? haha!

congrats on ur weight loss. i have only lost 50 lbs post op since april 07. am really disappointed though. quicck question do you know anyone who had a successful pregnancy and child birth on lapband?

I've only been on a self-imposed pre-op diet for two days. Extremely low carb. Lots of Water, Protein and two "shakes" a day. Grilled chicken and salad or a ground lamb patty and about a cup of chopped up fruit have been my "main meals" so far. I've had way, way, way less bread than I normally eat. And it's high fiber, high protein, "straw-like" bread that needs to be toasted. Three slices in three days. Man--I was a 4 slice a day girl forever. No wonder I'm overweight!

I have been peeing my life away! I might as well sling a toilet on my back and tote it around with me, 'cause all I do is make water! I smell funny, too. I know that that is: it's ketosis--the "magic" phase of low carb dieting.

But here's the proof that what I'm doing is making me "shrink" at least around my face: I looked at myself in the mirror this morning and damn...I wasn't as puffy. My complexion is clear and I had a healthy glow that I have not seen in months. Oh, dear...maybe it's because I haven't been eating milkshakes from Cruisin coffee every day!

I am determined to be at least 10lbs lighter at my consult on 8/9. I think I'm going to make it!

Happy me!

Darr

I had to come and brag to people who would understand my excitement. I am sitting her in a size 18 from Avenue!! WOOHOO!

I can buy the size 22 from Walmart and they are comfortable but I bought the 18 jeans from Avenue just because they were 18's. It has been 12 years since I have worn any piece of clothing that started with a 1