Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Read - Help

Hi all

Help I am so confused - I had my ban 15may12

I was told at consultation about a pouch being made with band - and therefore restricting the amount I can eat - and also the food taking te to pass through

Now I have been told - that this is not the case and that my band has been placed higher and that it is due to the hunger receptors being tickled at the top of the stomach sendin messages that I am full - that will reduce my appetite - and it's now nothing to do with a pouch

The whole reason I had the band is that I wouldn't physically be able to eat more than

My pouch allows - but now it seems I have to rely on hunger receptors - but I can eat when I am not hungry - which has always been my problem

Have others been told of the band being placed higher - and that it is due to research by

Dr Paul Burton - that it is nothing to do with a pouch?

Help!

Sam

The pouch is created by the placement of the band to limit the size of the portions which will contribute to a feeling of getting full with much less food. A typical bandster meal is comprised of measured portions, requires timed through chewing of food, and compliance to make healthy choices for lean Proteins and limited Fiber carbs. With increased restriction, it will take longer for you to feel any hunger between meals. For some, who are in their green zone, don't experience much hunger.

The band does nothing to manage "head hunger"; you have to learn the appropriate life skills to work through this. There are many ways to "eat around the band", and none of them are conducive for a successful journey with weight loss. Realistically, until you have some level of restriction after several months post op, you will need to rely on your will power and determination to be successful to remain diet compliant and loose weight.

Your relationship with food needs to change; so that you accept that you eat to live, not live to eat. Food is not your friend. It would be very helpful for you to seek some counseling to better understand the psychology behind why you are eating between meals and when you are not authentically hungry, which are likely at the core of why you are obese. People typically seek solace with food, eat out of boredom or anger at themselves or others. No matter how you look at it, this is an unhealthy belief system and does need to change.

I hope some of this information is helpful...

There is a pouch made but what you have to understand is that you will have restriction but the head hunger will still be there and you will have to deal with that. The band also won't stop you from eating. It is you that has to listen to your body and realize when you are full. You can still over eat but you will feel bad for a while after. It all comes down to you listening to your body, and figuring out Portion Control and working with your band. This is not going to be a quick fix like so many believe. You still need will power and control

The two posts before were perfect. It's definetly not a fix all/ cure all. I chose the lap band bc it was the healthier option. But it is a huge lifestyle change. I know people who've had the bypass done and lost a great deal of weight but have since gained it back bc they didnt keep to the commitment of this is a change forever. there is no quick fix or a fix to our problems of overeating/stress eating whatever. only you can control what you put into your mouth. I know after my 3rd fill was the first time I really felt restriction. I did get full quicker before this last fill but I still could eat. now Im just plain ole not hungry after a small meal. Hang in there.

THe above posts are the explanation. I too did not feel the slightest restriction until my thord fill. Prior to that I was actively limiting my intake. The brain is a funny thing. So is a lifetime of eating for all sorts of reasons unrelated to hunger.

Good luck on your journey. THere are many many people on this site who will be there to encourage you!

Thank you all. - I get the head hunger bit - it really is a battle for which I will never EVER give up

My problem is a procedure has been done on me that was different to what was explained to me

I was told about a pouch being made etc etc

But now have been told I don't have a pouch and the band has only been placed 1cm down from top of stomach - and that the band I have is all about tickling receptors to send satiety messages and nothing to do with filling a pouch and that food progressing slowly thru

The trouble is both procedures carry different eating restrictions - so I am off to the hospital today to find out exactly what has been done as my dietician tells me to ignore my surgeon an that the pouch procedure has not been done for a Long time -

One procedure - the pouch says u can't drink until an hour after eating - so not to wash food through - the other procedure says sure u can drink at the same time as no food is held in a pouch

I am interested to find out what procedure others have had done

1) pouch

2) non pouch - band placed 1 cm down ensuring that the oesophogul muscles have to work harder to push through food at 1 min intervals ?

I had researched the pouch method and felt comfortable with that -

If you research lap bands you will find that when they place the band around the upper most part of the stomach it creates a small upper pouch and a lower stomach. No part of the digestive system is stapled, cut or removed, which allows for nutrients to be fully absorbed into the body. This is by far a healthier weight loss procedure.

I think your surgeon used poor word choices and there is a miscommunication somewhere. Because that is what the band does. It causes a restriction around the upper most part of the stomach which in turn make you feel fuller quicker. I was instructed no liquids 30 min before or after meals, but I have a very hard time not following this. I just take a few sips of Water. In all my research that I did on the lap band and after speaking with other coworkers who have had this done the not drinking with meals is standard.

As you get fills the band restricts what goes thru making you feel fuller even quicker thus it does create a small pouch.

Look at the Realize website it's informative and goes thru the anatomy of how it's place. I know there are different brands of lapbands out there. I choose the one w/ the portacath access that was easier to feel. But my doc fills under fleuro which I like. peace of mind being able to see it and make sure things are going thru the way they should.

The whole tickling receptors is just a medical explanation for the band creating a pouch thus sending signals to ur noggin making you think you are full on a much less amount of food. It's also in my opinion a bunch of crap and poor explanation from medical to lay person.

What is the name of the lap band you had placed? That may help in explaning what exactly it is too.

Hang in there.

Hi Mini,

Sorry to hear you didn't get exactly what you paid for ... or maybe you did and your doc isn't explaining it right.

Are you in the U.S.? Do you have an article by Dr. Paul Burton. I ask because what you say he is suggesting doesn't sound like it's good for your esophagus.

I have the Lapband, which creates a pouch but also puts pressure on my vagus nerve which inhibits the hormone grehlin (sp?), this tamps down the hunger.

As everyone has said, there is nothing to stop head hunger but you, you learning the reasons for eating when not hungry and getting the tools to help you stop.

All the best to you on your journey. You will find plenty of support on this site.

~Fran