Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need A Lapband Buddy In Florida

Poking to talk to people who have the lap band in FL I live in North Port near Sarasota FL. Looking for motivation sharing stories someone to talk to about the band I was banded 6/3/2010

Looking** not poking lol I am using the app on my phone and damn auto correct.

Poking to talk to people who have the lap band in FL I live in North Port near Sarasota FL. Looking for motivation sharing stories someone to talk to about the band I was banded 6/3/2010

Count me in on the motivation and sharing stories! I live in Panama City, FL and received my band April 26th of this year. I am presently down 72 lbs and feeling almost 100% better! I am finally getting some of my energy back and able to get out on the boat, go fishing, and the beach as well! I am definitely not a pretty thing in a bathing suit, but that doesn't slow me down one bit.

Although I was banded in April, my doctor has opted not to give me a fill until my weight loss slows and I actually need a fill. I think that is the best bet for me and I like the common sense approach he is taking too! Enough about me! Tell us a little about yourself and your goals! You now have at least one Florida bander on your friend list!

Dennis

I'm Ashley I'm 28 about to be 29 next month I was banded June 3, 2010 I weighed 345 lbs I'm currently at 216 I lost most of my weight my first year banded and maintained 230lbs for quite sometime. I found out I have graves disease in april of this year which is a hyper active thyroid. now that I'm on meds it's so much harder to lose weight. But honestly I need to get back on the wagon I haven't been exercising like I used to. I need motivation. And support.

I ws banded 2/2/10. I lost 90 lbs. i ws 256 and I am almost at my goal what ever that is. I am almost 2x your age plus 10 years..64. My friend also has graves dsease. she started at 223 and lost 135. she is about 52 years old and about 200lbs. she is tall like me 5 ft 6 in. She has given up on the lapband. (I am quite upset about this) She quit the La fitness and I know she does not eat right. I AM VERY STRICT WITH MY EATING HABITS. AND HAVE BEEN HELPING SEVERAL GALS SUCESSFULLY LOSE THEIR WEIGHT...WATCH CRBS AND Protein INTAKE. DO YOU WATCH THOSE THINGS? HUGS.

To be honest no I normally eat what I want to but in tiny amount about a cup of food 3 times a day with 1 snack a day. That's why I need help. I got 3 kids 9, 7, and 2 plus I'm a student so I'm normally always so busy I just eat whatever. But I'm filled in my band to almost max it's very tight but not to tight. I'm not getting stuck on a daily basis I throw up rarely.

Graves disease is a serious struggle it has made me a completely different person mentally some days I'm just in the worst mood ever and I don't know why. I feel depressed and have no energy to workout let alone get off my butt to clean my meds made things worse I'm so sensitive to medicine it gives me side effects like moody and can't remember things it sucks, but nothing I can do other than keep pushing forward. I don't want to give up I want to be healthy and thin. My current goal is to be less than 200 lbs by September 30th so 17 lbs I want to try and lose by then

I'm Ashley I'm 28 about to be 29 next month I was banded June 3, 2010 I weighed 345 lbs I'm currently at 216 I lost most of my weight my first year banded and maintained 230lbs for quite sometime. I found out I have graves disease in april of this year which is a hyper active thyroid. now that I'm on meds it's so much harder to lose weight. But honestly I need to get back on the wagon I haven't been exercising like I used to. I need motivation. And support.

Hi Ashley! Wow, you have done so well with your band. I can only hope I have the same kind of success with mine. I spend way too much time behind a computer screen with my job and the two college classes I take every semester. I need to get out, walk, exercise, and simply burn some calories! I just finished my last exam for the semester, so I plan to get out and walk like a crazy man for the next three week! Hopefully I can lose more than few pounds during that time! That is tough news about developing graves disease. Is there anything the doctors can do to adjust your meds where it would make losing weight easier, opposed to harder? Losing weight is tough, but you are so dedicated and committed, I think you will do just fine! I am so motivated after reading your story and excited about my future! Don't let anything stand in the way of you meeting and exceeding your goals Ashley! You are awesome and an inspiration to us all!

Dennis

I ws banded 2/2/10. I lost 90 lbs. i ws 256 and I am almost at my goal what ever that is. I am almost 2x your age plus 10 years..64. My friend also has graves dsease. she started at 223 and lost 135. she is about 52 years old and about 200lbs. she is tall like me 5 ft 6 in. She has given up on the lapband. (I am quite upset about this) She quit the La fitness and I know she does not eat right. I AM VERY STRICT WITH MY EATING HABITS. AND HAVE BEEN HELPING SEVERAL GALS SUCESSFULLY LOSE THEIR WEIGHT...WATCH CRBS AND Protein INTAKE. DO YOU WATCH THOSE THINGS? HUGS.

That is sad about your friend becoming depressed and losing motivation. I feel like she will eventually return to her goals and get through this tough time, but she has to want it for herself. I was on the LA plan for over two years and loved it! It really upset me and my life when they had to close the center here about four years ago! The people were great and they successfully helped me to lose 135 lbs at that time. Once they shut the doors, my weight returned over these past four years. We have a really strong support group on this forum and I am really excited about getting that weight back off! I 100% agree with you about watching carbs and Protein intake! What number do you try to stay below on your carbs? I shoot for 100, but don't always make it! Protein, I usually shoot for 80, which is quite easy for me, because I love fish and seafood! I better run and get some work done around this place, but it has been really nice meeting you ladies!

Dennis

Graves disease is a serious struggle it has made me a completely different person mentally some days I'm just in the worst mood ever and I don't know why. I feel depressed and have no energy to workout let alone get off my butt to clean my meds made things worse I'm so sensitive to medicine it gives me side effects like moody and can't remember things it sucks, but nothing I can do other than keep pushing forward. I don't want to give up I want to be healthy and thin. My current goal is to be less than 200 lbs by September 30th so 17 lbs I want to try and lose by then

Ashley,

I know it will be tough to shake these feelings, especially since you are taking meds, but you need to focus on your goals. You've set goals for your health, education, family, and life, keep those in the forefront and don't let any obstacle steer you away from those important things in your life! You've come a very long way and I know your family is proud of you too! You can do it and I don't have the slightest doubt in my mind!

I am a student as well, SO I am very curious, what are you taking or majoring in? I completed a computer engineering degree in 2010 and presently working towards my BS in technology management. I am extremely tired and would love a break! I counted my classes yesterday and have only 5 more to go, to complete this program! Yea!!!!!

OK, I better really get back to work this time, before the boss figures me out! LOL Big hugs Ashley!

Dennis

Thanks for all your inspiring words Dennis and ilean it helps me a lot. I am currently going for my AS in Nursing (RN) and in October I will be adding a phlebotomy degree to my list. I have a long way to go to become a nurse since I have no medical background. The phlebotomy is a way to get my foot in the door at a hospital and it's a hands on 8 week course so short and sweet. I really don't know how to count cards and Protein in all that can you to explain how to know what's in the food I'm eating and what are some things to defiantly steer clear of.

Every time I ask my doctor what I can do to lose weight with graves his reply is that it's almost impossible because most of the weight is from Water weight from the medication ugh nothing can be impossible I just got to show them it's not impossible. So far today I went for a walk and did some squats and I'll work out again tonight some Zumba or a bike ride not sure yet but I really wanna see the scale say 1 something not 200's anymore.

Please explain How to count carbs and Protein. Thanks

Please explain How to count carbs and Protein. Thanks

Ashley, there are several ways to determine what you are eating, but I absolutely love an application I got for my Iphone that does it for me. There are several out there, and I've heard they are all equally nice. Mine is called MyNetDiary and it is amazing! It takes all the work out of trying to figure out the foods and MOST items are already in their database. The program will track your intake, Water consumption, exercise, and just about everything else! Now, having said that, IF you don't have a smart phone, I have used an online site called Calorie King that is pretty easy to pull information from as well. I would look into some of the online diaries that fully automate the process, because I know you will love it!