Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LBT For 4/27/06 Help!! I'm Nevous!!!!

Hello,

I'ma 37 yr old female from Delaware and I am scheduled for my Lap Band surgery..... April 27th!!!!! I am veryu nervous but excited. I have been doing alot of research and my concerns are regarding after the surgery. The gas, the pain, my mental state, etc... Is there anyone out there sho can provide some encouragement or comfort... I am sure about my decision to do this, but my nerves ae starting to get the best of me....

Nicole:omg:

hi nicole, i was banded 3/3/2006 so i am a little over 1 week post-op and i really don't think it was that bad. i only had real pain for a few hours following the surgery and the next morning i had some moderate pain but the pain meds(i was given darvocet)took care of it really well. the real problem was the gas immediatley following surgery....but again....meds really helped(i took chewable gas-x)me alot. my final word on lap band sx...not bad at all. good luck to you and hang in there. you should really visit this sight post-operatively, it is really encouraging.

you will be fine I had my surgery last thursday and it wasn't so bad. I am having a bit of gas in my shoulder but nothing that moving around and a heating pad hasn't helped good luck I am sure that you will be fine

:) hi nicole, i was banded 3/3/2006 so i am a little over 1 week post-op and i really don't think it was that bad. i only had real pain for a few hours following the surgery and the next morning i had some moderate pain but the pain meds(i was given darvocet)took care of it really well. the real problem was the gas immediatley following surgery....but again....meds really helped(i took chewable gas-x)me alot. my final word on lap band sx...not bad at all. good luck to you and hang in there. you should really visit this sight post-operatively, it is really encouraging.

I'm looking at the end of April or the beginning of May myself to get banded...I hope anyway!! I have been jumping through hoops for a year...correct that I've been stepping gingerly through hoops for close to a year. I'm too old for the jumping game anymore. I'm a little nervous too, but after all the tests I've had to go through I'm not about to back out now. I think it is natural to get nervous as it gets closer, but this forum is full of people that have been through it and they will give you a lot of encouragement. As for the gas...I know nothing yet about it. I had gallbladder surgery and didn't have a bit of gas, so maybe I'm just not the norm. The dr. had told me I would have lots of gas from that surgery and I didn't, but then she also told me I would be pretty much down and out for 2 weeks and I was out in the car that very night searching for my cat who took advantage of my being asleep to wander off. I took a pain pill when I got home (same day surgery), slept 8 hours, and then just drove around the neighborhood looking for my cat. Would have broke my heart to lose him. I'm out in the country and at that time my house was the first one built in the subdivision so I wasn't going to run into any traffic anywhere......just construction sites.

I bet you will do just fine and soon it will be behind you. Great support on here if you do have questions afterwards. I've been hanging out here for mo. and I'm getting smarter every day :)

Nicole,

I was just banded monday, march 13. i was not too terribly nervous until a day or two before surgery. at the surgery center and at home the first day, i caught myself wondering what in the world had i done to myself. but the nightpassed with the help of some darvocet, and tuesday morning my pain was not half as bad as monday, and today i feel more like someone made me do a million sits ups and less like i just had surgery.

You are going to do great!! do not let the scary stories scare you, just let it broaden your knowledge about this experience. the more you know ahead of time, the less things may surprise you later!!

Good luck to you and know that you are at the right place for support. i found this board at the end of january. these folks are the best support system i could ask for!!

I am so thankful that I found this site... Everyone seems to be very supportive here. I feel a little better... I have been reading the different posts today and have seen alot of encouraging thoughts. I will try not to let the scary stories get to me... I know everyone is not the same as far as recovery is concerned, but I will definitely keep a positive outlook on this. I still have the nervous part to deal with, but its nice to talk to people who are or have gone through what I am experiencing before my surgery. Thank you all sooooo much :clap2: ......

I was banded on the 1st. I was nervous that Saturday night, and nervous when I actually had to crawl into the bed at the hospital, but otherwise just fine. I slept like baby the night before. Haven't yet, and don't expect that I will, questioned my decision or had the "What the hell did I just do?" reaction that lots of people have... heck, my psychologist during my pre-op quals even told me that's the most common reaction.

I had no gas at all - pain, anyway. I did burp quite a bit in the recovery room though. I was sore after surgery, but never what I would call in pain. In temrs of the surgery itself, and general recovery, the most painful part was the kidocaine shot to numb me for my IV, and that certainly wasn't what I would call painful.

If you haven't started your pre-opwork, you'll have plenty of time and assistance to help you prepare mentally. :hat:

I had my done 3-10-06 18 pounds, my wife has had hers since summer of 2001 loss of 85 pounds. We are doing great! As for the pain we both have had very little to none.

hi nicole, good luck on your upcoming surgery. i was banded 2/7/06. the surgery is not that painful but the gas is a different story. my best advice to you is to walk, walk, walk. i was given liquid loritab/vicodin for pain control when i was discharged home. your surgeon my also suggest liquid tylenol as well. keep us posted. take care, p.j.

Please just chill, you won't even know that you had anything done. It's been good for my wife and I both. She had it done in 01 and I did it in 2/10/06 we are happy about the whole thing. food no longer is everything. We still eat out alot and share one dinner, we don't leave hungry,and yes we share a desert. She has loss all she needed, just doing a even pound or two up & down. I'm lossing 39 so far my thing is walking. K & J

I was banded Monday 3/20. I must say the pain wasn't bad at all. Had a little gas but I've been walking like crazy and feeling great.

You will be fine...

Just take it easy and remember you are doing this to be healthy and for YOU.

See ya on the losing side!