Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Anyone Else Scared....

...of failure?

I'm sure this is somewhat normal but I just want to hit the ground running and find success. I am mostly nervous about the time between having the surgery and the first fill. My doctor schedules the first fill after 4-6 weeks of the surgery. Do people still lose during that time?

My surgery is August 1st. I'm excited for the journey.

Yes, people do lose at the time between surgery and first fill.

I was banded 5 1/2 weeks ago and am scheduled for first fill next week. With the help of the post-surgery diet, I have lost 22 pounds. If you follow your doctor's instructions, you will lose weight, even during this early period. At times it's tough but the end justifies the means.

Go for it! You can do it!

After failing so many times in the past I think it would be impossiable for my mind not to go there. I have always had success losing but my appetite would get the better of me seemed like it was always all or nothing, I pray this will help me find the middle ground... That being said I am 3 days post op and hopeful I probably for the 1st time in my life losing and not hungry. Good luck to you!!

I was terrified of failure. I honestly couldn't picture myself losing weight successfully. Heck, even the day after surgery, I remember laying in bed in tears thinking "what have I done to myself?"

However...I couldn't picture how awesome I'd feel 6 1/2 months later, either.

I honestly love my band, it's the best decision I've ever made for myself. If you are committed to changing your eating habits to healthy ones for a lifetime, you will be successful.

As for fills, it's common to wait 4-6 weeks for the first fill. However, that is also the time period for healing, not losing. My best advice is to put the scale away until after your first fill and then start focusing on losing.

In the meantime, making the best decisions you can while on the post op diet will help tremendously.

Best wishes to you!

I'm scared, but because of my history with surgeries and the pure liquid diet after.

Terrified. Irrationally, ridiculously, mortified. Not of the procedure itself, that should be a breeze. Petrified of going through all of this with the best intentions and motivation, then not having the willpower to keep it up. Went to a seminar given by my surgeon last night, and the one thing he said that really helped me was that the banding helps maintain an "indifference" to food. That may be enough to get me through to surgery!

My biggest problem with food is taste. If something is tasty, I will eat it all. I am hoping that will be overcome by having to work so hard to make things small enough to process.

I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow. I am going to ask for an anti-anxietal Rx to get me to surgery.

I am scheduled for the 17th and am very scared. First never had any type of surgery, the liquid deit scares me and mostly the fear of failure. But I have to do something I can't continue o live like this.

Thank you all. It is comforting to not feel alone with my thoughts.

tiggergramma, thank you!

I am scheduled for the 17th and am very scared. First never had any type of surgery, the liquid deit scares me and mostly the fear of failure. But I have to do something I can't continue o live like this.

dont be scared. you are stronger than you think. the liquid diet helps shrink your liver for surgery. dont fear it.

it must be done. if one day you dont do good, do better the next.

I am nervous but not scared of the surgery. Only scared of failing at yet another diet. Going for my pre-op appointment in 2 hours. Surgery on August 13th.

I am nervous but not scared of the surgery. Only scared of failing at yet another diet. Going for my pre-op appointment in 2 hours. Surgery on August 13th.

dont be scared. you are stronger than you think----you are about to make yourself well and healthy. you are right on the crusp of a new you. why be scared??? dont be.

Dr. Office called today they have an opening on the 10th so I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. It is really going to happen

YES. I still can't believe that I've lost as much weight as I have. I still have that voice of doubt in my head sometimes that tells me I can't succeed at this. But what I've learned from successful Bandsters here is to Celebrate the little things. Success isn't just reaching your ultimate goal weight. It's getting to the gym on a day you don't want to, tracking your food, fitting a little better into your clothes, 1 lb, and 1 day at a time. Try to set realistic, small goals and you can't fail.

Sorry if that was a bit of a tangent, ha.

Dr. Office called today they have an opening on the 10th so I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. It is really going to happen

how exciting. it will be here before you know it

its more of a (mental thing). remember you are shrinking

your liver in prep for surgery. take it one meal/one hour/one day at a time. no worries, you will do great.

I've worked so hard in losing weight prior to Aug 6 Band date. I'm fearless and want it done! I am so prepared for this surgery and new journey. I will defeat being overweight and get to a normal weight for me. Nothing is going to stop me. I've done much research through Allergan lab findings from my sister.

Bring it on, I'm ready!

Best wishes fellow Banders.