Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everybody,

I recently bought myself a fancy-schmancy pedometer. I'm having trouble finding the motivation to exercise. The more steps the better, I figure, and this might push me to park further from the store, take the long way, or just plain move.

What is a good goal for steps? I'm trying to increase my number daily but sadly I only see about 4k for the day. (what a slug!) I'll worry about distance at a later date.

thanks for your input,

the Laughing Cat

Well, if your baseline is 4000 now, I would shoot for another 500 or 1000 steps to start and increase daily/weekly at a pace that's comftorable to you and is not one that will injure you. Recommended steps per day is 10000.

P.S. Did you buy a Fitbit? I love the heck out of mine!

It's a 3D USB pedometer, brand name "Data Tracker", purchased on Ebay. So far, it works great.

Does the FitBit have a pedometer? I was thinking of getting one. I have heard so many positive things about it.

weight.png

I LOVE my FitBit. It is this super fancy pedometer that uses the same 3D motion detection that the Nintendo Wii does. You can wear it on your hip or on your bra. It tracks steps taken, the time, how many miles you've walked, how many calories your body has burned, and how many flights of stairs you've climbed. Plus, it comes with a wristband and if you wear it at night, then the next morning plug in what time you went to bed, it will tell you what time you actually fell asleep, how many times you woke up, and the quality of your sleep.

The preset goals are 10,000 steps a day (which equals about 5 miles) and 10 flights of stairs. It has TOTALLY helped me increase my activity. I want to hit my goals every day, so I find myself running up and down my staircase at home and running in place instead of sitting.

Does the FitBit have a pedometer? I was thinking of getting one. I have heard so many positive things about it.

weight.png

The fitbit has a step counter, mileage tracker, stair tracker (per flight, not per stair), activity level indicator, and the ability to start/stop to track sleep or a specific activity. I love my fitbit and use it in combination with Lose it to keep track of calories/exercise. I use Lose it for the mobile app because it can sync with Fitbit and has a bar code scanner, which is awfully handy.

I also bought the new Wifi Aria scale from Fitbit, which was $130 and auto uploads weight, body fat, lean vs. fat mass to the fitbit website. It really makes for one location where I can go to look at all of my stats.

Sound awesome. Now I want one. Lol

I love my fitbit, though I didnt wear it last week. I find if I wear it, I obsess over it a bit. I've found that after a week wearing it that I still do what I need to do, but I really don't obsess with it, just pay a little too much attention to every detail of my journey (does that make sense)?

i dont have alot of money,what wud b a good pedometer 4me?

i dont have alot of money' date='what wud b a good pedometer 4me?[/quote']

If you can't afford something like a fitbit, I recommend buying a basic pedometer that tracks steps. I would wear it for a few days to see your normal average and then try to increase by a few thousand. Dr's seem to recommend 10k steps per day.

i dont have alot of money' date='what wud b a good pedometer 4me?[/quote']

If you have a smart phone there are several pedometer apps....love mine!