Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol Two And A Half Weeks After Surgery?

I have broken all the rules... I've eaten before i should have, and i've drank pop and beer and wine.... I've lost 57 pounds in a year ( banded 6/29/11 ) and i'm also 8 months pregnant.... And i also just ate a pudding.....

I'm still living, some people are just more up tight about the rules than others LOL

I just watch my calories, drink my Water and try to keep busy.

Personally, I don't believe all the bs they tell us. Every Dr. has different standards so that tells me there are none. I don't drink much or often but I drink. I also eat junk once in a while. I've lost a lot of weight. That being said... had I not drank those beers or ate that icecream I might be 20 pounds lighter... who's to say.

I think some of us get seriouly schooled before surgery and others... not much. That's why we are here... to help each other and share our experiences.

My weight loss surgery book that my doctor gave me says that they recommend waiting 3 months after surgery! WHAT! lol Besides the fact that that seems like a crazy amount of time, recommending and telling us not to are two different things. Why are all these doctors so vague lol. I'm almost 5 weeks post op and had a glass of wine, i was fine but it definately hit me harder.

Before I had surgery this is one of the questions I ask. I love margaritas and wine too. My doc said no problem at all. He said if it was the gAstro surgery then the answer would be no. But with lap band not to worry

I'm going to a celebration and would like to have a few sips. I know I will need to be careful as there will only be mushies in my system' date=' but is this allowed?[/quote']

Hi there, my surgeon said its fine to drink alcohol, of course in moderation. He also said that with studies they have conducted its actually beneficial to have a glass if red wine a day. Personally I don't like red wine i I prefer white wine! I've only been banded two weeks and haven't had the desire to have a drink yet but eventually I will. To say that Bariatric patients are not allowed alcohol is wrong, I also am sure we have all read the rules and know what our instructions are .

So if you feel like a few sips and feel fine go for it and enjoy your celebration.

We are all here on this forum to help each other out . We are also following the rules of our individual surgeons and as most of you have realised are different. What is right for one person is not necessarily right for another. So let's be kind to each other and help guide each other as we are all on the same journey.

Cheers!

It must be making you crazy to see all the different surgeons' instructions on this as well as a million other issues. I've read all the responses so far (I think) and don't recall seeing this tidbit which came to me from my original and current surgeons and was confirmed by the surgeon who vetted my book (Bandwagon):

Alcohol is a gastric irritant, and it can cause inflammation and (eventually) ulcers. Just something to keep in mind.

My personal comments on this heated issue are:

1. Alcohol is liquid calories with no nutritional benefit. Yes, some people believe that there are health benefits in drinking moderate amounts of red wine, but if you have to use the health excuse to justify something you're going to do anyway, well....OK, go ahead!

2. Alcohol loosens your inhibitions and makes eating something stupid (or drinking a second or third glass of wine) seem like a really good idea.

Finally, thanks for starting such an entertaining thread. I haven't seen so many irritable, rude, defensive, ornery, inflammatory posts on a single thread here in quite some time. I know what my excuse is: it's 99 degrees outside at almost 7 pm. That's enough to make a saint cranky.

It must be making you crazy to see all the different surgeons' instructions on this as well as a million other issues. I've read all the responses so far (I think) and don't recall seeing this tidbit which came to me from my original and current surgeons and was confirmed by the surgeon who vetted my book (Bandwagon):

Alcohol is a gastric irritant' date=' and it can cause inflammation and (eventually) ulcers. Just something to keep in mind.

My personal comments on this heated issue are:

1. Alcohol is liquid calories with no nutritional benefit. Yes, some people believe that there are health benefits in drinking moderate amounts of red wine, but if you have to use the health excuse to justify something you're going to do anyway, well....OK, go ahead!

2. Alcohol loosens your inhibitions and makes eating something stupid (or drinking a second or third glass of wine) seem like a really good idea.

Finally, thanks for starting such an entertaining thread. I haven't seen so many irritable, rude, defensive, ornery, inflammatory posts on a single thread here in quite some time. I know what my excuse is: it's 99 degrees outside at almost 7 pm. That's enough to make a saint cranky.[/quote']

Yes jean you are right alcohol is a gastric irritant and that is one of the reasons I don't personally drink. I do however enjoy a glass of wine when I'm out for dinner, which isn't that often maybe two times in a six month period. If you drink to extremes again you are right it will cause the complications you have mentioned. And again you are right alcohol is empty calories but a drink every now and again isn't going to hurt. My surgeon here in Australia is a leading pioneer in lapbanding and he also has his own book with a lot of valuable detailed information for lapband people which I have read twice and refer to often when I need to.

Again as stated my many in these forums each surgeon has his own set of rules and we all follow them (well hopefully all) but there are times we may slip up and that's fine also as we are only human.

As far as grumpiness goes on forums, Internet etc in my opinion people need to remember their manners as we don't know each other personally and some blunt or mean comments can really hurt some people. Put your info, opinions out there, there is nothing wrong with that but be polite about it. Manners on the Internet and in every day life gets you further than nastiness.

My two cents worth.

Okay I don't drink. Really, ever. Never been a drinker. I come from a family of alcohoics so that is probably a good thing.

The way I look at it if someone told you they had a candy bar a day or 1 hot fudge sunday a week and in the next breath said I had weight loss sugery and I'm really working on my weight; would you take them seriously? Not much different than having 1 + drinks a night or 3-4 on the Weekend.

To be fair I also thought my boss who bragged about her super healthy vegan Soup with 35 calories but who secretly ate Cookies at the company store was wrong too.

Gotta have my weekly (or bi-weekly) Margarita!

There will always be two answers to this question : 1. Don't drink, it's empty calories and can upset your gastro system; 2. Drinking is fine in moderation, just like everything else.

Personally I drink a maybe 1 or 2 times a week. I have lost nearly 100 lbs and am close to goal weight, so you can drink and be successful. I didn't get the lapband so I could live, what I consider, to be a restrictive lifestyle for the rest of my life. I got it so I could live a healthy and fun lifestyle. I was upfront with my Dr that yes I plan on drinking in the future. You know what he said? He said in a month you can drink anything you want. You don't have to be perfect all the time. But do it safely by listening to your Dr.

Also to address the whole "studies" issue. Yes there seem to be new studies coming out all the time about the benefits of alcohol. For example a new one came out finding a link between increase bone density and having 2 drinks daily.

For those of you that preach no carbonated drinks remember, each Doc is different.

My doctor says that carbonated drinks are fine, stating that a lot has changed in bariatrics since the beginning. I am not a soda drinker, so that was not an issue for me, but I do love an occasional local beer or two. Perfectly OK.

I wouldn't push the rules that you doc gave you on anyone (he may be old school and hesitant on change).

Just do as your own doc says and you'll be fine.

I'm going to a celebration and would like to have a few sips. I know I will need to be careful as there will only be mushies in my system' date=' but is this allowed?[/quote']

Soooo did you have a few sips? My brothers birthday is 2 and a half weeks after my op and I was thinking of having a few sips and no doubt people will either pressure me to drink or assume I'm pregnant, but i do enjoy a glass of wine now and then! So how did it go? :)

I drank after about 2 weeks. Careful, it creeps up on you. All is well.

I waited about 4 weeks and I'm still here, Lapband is great and I'm down 51 lbs. Surgery was 10/27. I also love my beer and my surgeon fave me the empty calories speech but also said I should enjoy these vices, in moderation. He said some people can handle carbonation, other can't. I CAN! ! ! SO YAY. :) I think to have a drink, as long add you feel good would be fine. Just listen to your body.

I just want to point out, if you ask a question, your gonna get answers. Some you may like, some you won't. But you asked.

That being said...I don't think NC was honestly being rude or nasty. Just giving her opinion, and looking out for the rest of us in the online community. What ever you decided to do about the Alcohol I wish you luck. We're all different and unique individual's. What works for one, may not work for another. I love beer, used to be a big beer drinker. But my surgeon is big on the carbonated beverages not fitting into the Lapband lifestyle, so I've crossed it off my list 5 months ago. I do love me some wine though and I look forward to drinking responsibly in the future, but not a concern anytime soon. Surgery is Aug 15th...happy Bandday to me:)

Good luck to you!!!! And have fun regardless!