Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi

I am currently day 2 of my pre op liquid diet. My surgery is scheduled for July 23 rd. I am now having second thoughts about which surgery I want! I am thinking of changing over to VSG but am not thrilled about having half my stomach cut out. Did any of you have these struggles and how did you decide lap band over VSG?

Well first let me say, regardless of anyone else's opinions, in the end you must do what is best for you.

I was actually originally scheduled for Gastric Bypass. Obviously it's different than VSG, but like VSG is involves permanently changing your internal organs and is completely irreversible. At the last minute I canceled my surgery because I simply couldn't rationalize forever changing my internal organs without at least trying something far less drastic (and reversible) first.

I then looked into Lap-Band and attended a seminar in the beginning of December 2011. I immediately knew this was the right choice and sped through the process to get approved for surgery. On January 6, 2012 I had the Lap-Band surgery.

Honestly, for me, it was by far the best decision I have ever made for myself. While I still have a lot of weight to lose, I have already lost 117 pounds in 6 months and feel better than I have in many years. I absolutely love my band.

Best wishes on whatever path you choose!

Hi, I did struggle and even had the financial person at the office suggest that I do VSG because everyone keeps revising the surgery from lap band to VSG. Ultimately I went with lapband because it's removable. Both parents had stomach issues where surgery was needed and if you have VSG, there is so much scar tissue it's about impossible to get in there and fix what is wrong. I just did not feel comfortable with having my stomach cut out and it's a greater risk.

Thank you,

Beginning this journey I was dead set on lap band but after having my pre op appointment I was kinda getting the vibe that my surgin was trying to change my mind! I left feeling uncomfortable and that's when I started doubting my decision. And also everything I read is negative negative about the band. Another question...can you feel your band in your everyday activities ? I have a very active Job so that concerns me as well, will I feel my band when I'm moving around ?

Awesome that's great to hear!

I have never felt my band. The only way I know for sure I have a band is when I eat. My port I can feel it with my hands or if I lean against something, but as far as walking about feeling it, nope.

If you're torn between band or sleeve, see if you can find a doctor that performs lapband with plication. It sounds like the best of both worlds!

Ditto from the above...I never felt the band and it is almost 2.5 years for me.

Question..... What is this plication that keep reading about?

It's kinda the same as the sleeve except they don't cut the stomach they just fold the stomach over and staple it.

The only time I even know my band is there is when I eat' date=' otherwise, I have never felt it or my port. Not once.[/quote']

I havent had the band but does it hurt to get the fills

I'm a total wuss and I don't think fills hurt at all- and I'm one that passes out with needles!

I've been banded 6 years... had 4 fills in total...didn't hurt at all when I got my fills.

I have not regrets at all getting the lapband... it's changed my life.

I can eat ANYTHING in moderation except rice or apple skins... I still eat carbs and go out for dinner.

I started with a 54" waist and am now a 32" waist.

If you would like to ask any question feel free to e-mail me. I also have free long distance and would be happy to answer any questions you have on the phone.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

tomander@bell.net

I cannot feel my band and it does not hurt me to get. I can feel my port and it sometimes causes a twinge. The doc said it is the location. He likes to place the port here, but it is in muscle near your rib.

If you are active, just let your doctor know.

Good luck. I love my band.