Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Trace Curry Patients, Diet Instructions After Surgery

I'm confused about the pureed diet for 2 weeks after lap band surgery, am I really supposed to continue the 1 oz pureed food or 2 oz liquids every 20 minutes for 2 weeks after the surgery? I don't see how it's feasible to get 6 mini meals and 48-64 oz of Water doing it this way and to be eating or drinking something every 20 minutes.

I'll look in my manual, we got so much info I have went back over the manual so many times! When did you have your nutrition class? I had mine on the 9th with Erin!

Thanks, I have read the manual a million times :) and I don't know if I'm reading it wrong or not because after you see what to do for 2 weeks and then see you have to eat 1/2 cup meals, 6 of them, Water, etc. it just seems a bit too much in a day. Not enough time in a day to get it all down at 1 or 2 oz portions at a time. I had my nutrition class about 3 weeks ago and my surgery was this past Monday (9th). I've been off work, so eating like this was no biggie, but I'm worried when I go back to work.

Does the Protein Shake count for a meal? It is a little overwhelming that it seems like they want you to continuously be drinking or eating!

I think it is meant as additional since they want you to get 60-80 grams of Protein a day because the table says to use Protein Drinks "as needed", the manual is a bit contradictory here and there. You probably have not seen this manual yet and only the little one they give you on the consult day, but make sure you request a copy of the 68 page Surgical Weight Loss Manual after you schedule for your surgery, which I think you have already done if you had your nutrition class. Erin is great! Rebecca is too, but I have always liked any suggestions Erin makes that I would never think of. Ricotta and spaghetti sauce is really good and the refried Beans and chicken broth is really good too, I was surprised, these were mentioned at my nutrition class to use a pureed items.

Ok....I'm confused too.....does mushy count as a meal? Was banded on 6/27 and I go back to the doctor on Monday. For the last two weeks I have been doing Protein Shakes and liquids. My doctor said 2 weeks of 3 shakes a day and 48oz - 64oz of liquids a day. I'm not taking in the liquids I should....seems like too much. I'm supposed to start mushy on Monday. I will admit I have had a little bit of chicken salad with the chicken ground up so fine its like powder with some light mayo and I seemed to do ok with it. My thing is after eating something mushy...ie: yogurt, or the chicken salad or scrambled eggs....are we supposed to still drink the Protein shakes?? And when you are on mushy are we still not drinking anything with that? ARUGH!!!!!!! :blink:

I'm not sure what instructions your doctor gave you, but specific to Curry they breakdown pureed foods as being a separate phase from mushy foods. That is a lot of liquids, have fun with that. I don't believe you should be doing the ckn salad yet, but per my instructions, I should be, but the instructions are confusing to me. I checked out the lap band allergan web site (which is the one "installed" for lack of a better word :) and they even say 2 weeks liquids, so I'm really worried about why my doc is saying to do pureed already. Hopefully both of us can shed some light on this tomorrow, I decided to do all liquids today until I talk to the dietitian tomorrow. Good luck! :) But like you, I'm having a heck of a time drinking all this liquid, I'm not hungry and feel full easily right now, my stomach must still be swollen.

I have the big manual that is 69 pages, let me know what you find out!