Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does This Happen To Anyone Else?

Hey everyone. I'm a longtime lurker and finally posting for the first time.

I was banded 6/15 of last year. I usedto be able to literally only eat 4 or 5 bites of anything. In the last month or so, however, I've noticed that at the start of any meal I take a bite and immediately feel "stuck." If I wait till it passes (or if it is severe enough and it "comes back out") I find that I can then comfortably eat (almost) whatever I want in wht seems any portion I want, especially if I eat slowly enough. [Example: I used to only be able to each 1/4 to 1/2 of a homemade grilled chicken sandwich, but now, assuming the above happens, I do not feel full and can end up eating a whole sandwich if I don't watch it.]

Does this happen to anyone else? What's going on with me? Unfortunately, I am self-pay and my yearof "support" from the doctor/staff has expired. I only hve crappy student insurance and I won't pay for a visit to the doctor for these questions or for a fill.

Any thoughts would be really welcomed. Thanks so much.

i am self pay as well..i just had to pay $250 for my fill after my year of free fills...it sounds like you might need an adjustment..trust me i didnt want to pay it but i refuse to let my success if goin from a 20 to a 12 go down the drain for $250..best wishes

I think most of us can eat as much as we want. But, the trick is to listen to your stomach/body for those signals of satiety. Are you continuing to eat because you love the taste of the food or do you want to have that feeling of being full. Sounds like how I was before surgery.

I can do the same as you but so far I've learned that I'm no longer hungry after sitting there for 30 minutes slowly chewing my food. So I stop. But I also get stuck with some foods and after 10-15 minutes the episode passes and I can continue to eat. And I can eat and eat if I pushed myself, but I don't now.

You may need a fill but you should try to listen to those satiety signals? They've got to be there?

tmf

I agree with 2muchfun. You really need to listen to your body and stop eating when you get the signs you are full. As soon as you get the stuck feeling stop eating and think about what you are eating, why you are eating and if you are really hungry.

just because you can eat whatever you want in any amount doesnt mean you should.

the band is just a tool. its up to use to use our mental fortitude and not over eat

(merely because you can).

as my friends tmf/mis say, try not to eat over a cup of food and Protein is first.

I am almost the same as you, yes. I gained almost all my weight back, because I could eat.

Tmf is right, eat slow, chew allot, enjoy!! But stop at the cup, or when you feel it.

I totally enjoy eating, even if I am not hungry, so this is a challenge every meal. The end results are worth it!!!!

Stay strong. If you measure your serving, and only have that in front of you. Small bites and chew allot; really think about each bite, and taste what you are eating. This helps!! Then decide if you are still having issues. I has to go back to liquids for a couple of days, then mushy to get back to eating correctly.

Be extra careful on your first bite. Make it super small and chew it to death. Or take a sip of something warm before hand to prime your band. I sometimes suffer first bite syndrome... and have to be super mindful of my first bites!

I've found that I need to limit portion size and the length of a meal...a total of only 5 oz per meal, small bites, much chewing, and only have 20 minutes per meal. I do get the sense, a subtle sign of fullness that I have had enough to eat, and stop at that point. I also sometimes will get hiccups, another soft sign to me that I have reached my limits.

I do sometimes feel too tight, especially in the morning. Drinking hot tea or coffee does seem to help. Other times I have noticed restriction to the point of not feeling comfortable to drink Water is while I am driving. I attribute that to stress generated by being behind the wheel, and sharing the road.

This happens to me too! It's very odd when it happens. I'm struggling myself with the days when I feel I'm eating to much. I think your best bet is to make sure what your putting in on these days is good stuff like fruits and veg. On these days in particular avoid ice cream, and sweets because for some awful reason they always go down easy