Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1St Fill Not So Good Plus A Question

So I went in for my first fill on Wednesday. I was so excited to be getting a fill finally. My surgery was on June 4th and I have lost 10 pounds since then. I am really ready for a little help, which is why I go the band in the first place. My doctor although very nice has not done as many lapbands as he has GB surgerys so this has worried me from the begining. So he begins to do my fill, without any numbing stuff. I was a little concerned because almost everyone I follow says they numb.....he does not.

Long story short he ended up sticking me 5 times before he found my port. I was painful. I wondered in the end if he just said he found it and gave up or if he really put something in.

So here is my question. After he was done I asked him how much he put in and he said " you had 2 cc of air and I added 2 additional cc so you are now at 4." I have never heard of anyone saying there was air in their band. Is that true? I also thought that at 4cc I would fill some restriction at least for the first few day. Nothing. I fell like I could eat a cow....which I woud not do but I left the dr's office hunger.

Would really like to some feed back.

He said there was air in it from surgery. He did put saline in during the fill.

I didn't have a good first fill either but they did use a numbing agent so for your next fill be sure to ask for some or refuse to have it done because it is uncomfortable. I really came close to never getting fills again but that's not going to help me to lose weight with the band so I've come around.

They mistoke my scar tissue for the port and jabbed me well over 15 times until another nurse came in and found it. She also let me know where the port was for future reference and I'm hoping that will help with the second fill that I'm having later this month. Please don't be discouraged and with the band in place you could also see another bariatric surgeon if the one you have doesn't make your comfortable.

I dislike my doctor but his nursing staff is awesome so I only deal with him when necessary.

Ohhhh ok, geez you scared me. I thought he was pumping air into your band! LOL

As far as the fill, next time don't be shy about asking for numbing before the fill. Definitely speak up and tell him you want it numbed first- that's your right as a patient.

As far as hunger, unfortunately there's no magic number where people suddenly have perfect restriction. This is because everyone's anatomy is different so everyone needs different amounts. It's not at all uncommon for people to need 4-6 fills before they have adequate restriction, so hang in there and know it'll come.

My doc gave me a prescription of lidocaine to rub on wy port area thirty minutes before procedure, cover with plastic wrap and medical tape to hold it down. It should be "blanched" on the skin which appears lighter and numb. He also offers a lidocaine shot if I want it and usually I don't.

weight.png

I've never had any numbing cream, but also they've never had an issue finding my port and I don't have any issues with needles personally. As for the air thing...that sounds strange. I don't think the air in there would count as any cc's. I would consider you to have 2 ccs. But many of us didn't feel anything after the first fill so unfortunately you may have to have another one; many people get a second fill after about 4 weeks.

I had my first fill two weeks ago and it was great for a day and I am hungry and have had no feeling of restriction. How soon can I fill again? My clinic is very busy and their customer support is pretty poor.

Just want to add my .01 cents to this discussion. Unless there is a financial or otherwise compelling reason to stick with your original doctor, SWITCH. You may have to travel a bit to find someone you like, but this is too important to be with anything other than a great doc.

Everyone is different....for instance, I don't use the numbing stuff...I don't like it....where as some people need it! Same with fills.... I am at 3.9 ccs and it's pretty much perfect for me, where my friend who has the same band has gone up to 6.5ccs and barely felt any restriction. Continue to communicate with your physician about your concerns. It may take quite a few visits before you find your perfect fill.

Air? Should be only saline. I didn't get numbing medicine either. When I got my fill she found my port and put the needle in. I then sat up with the needle still in and took sips of Water. When I took a sip I had a funny feeling in my throat and she timed from when i started to feel it to when it ended. I ended up with 5.2 cc fill. Question your doctor about the air. This is your body and just because he has MD behind his name doesn't mean he knows everything. Be your own advocate.

My first fill was a week ago. No numbing. The nurse couldn't find my port, so we went to xray and the xray tech walked her through finding the right spot. She did have to stick me twice. Inside didn't hurt, just the tightness of the skin where she put the needle in as she moved it around to find the exact location of the port.