Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery...will You Have To Get Fills And Unfills The Rest Of Your Life?

I"m curious about this as I"m hoping that us bandsters (or soon to be bansters) don't have to get fills/unfills for the rest of our lives. I mean....heck...what if the economy gets really bad (and you have to travel 1-2 hours to get a fill or emergency unfill)? Although us Americans take it for granted that we can easily get around....and money is easier to get (compared to many countries around the world) ....but what if a major economic collapse happens (in the next 5-10 years) and now your stuck relying on these fills and unfills...(fill cost rises due to a dollar devaluation) and you have to travel a decent way to just to get a fill. If the dollar devalues (like many high level econimists predict)...gas prices could be $10/gallon.

I know this is a rare occurance and a hypothetical scenario...(and many here will try to critisize this thinking......not to mention the majority have incapability to think long-term and potential realities down he road) but when considering getting the lapband....one does have to think about potential scenarios like this down the road.

P.S. Many here are not trained in world economics and the major media NEVER gives people the reality of where world economics is currently at....but TRUST ME...this could be a real scenario for us bandsters (or soon to be bandsters) down the road.....and must be factored in when making a life altering and life long decision like this.

Any thoughts or opinions?

There have always been doomsayers. Back in 1999 (july to be more specific) my grandmother asked me to go to her non-denominational church. This guy was preaching about how the y2k bug was going to bring the end of the world and how all the computers would go offline and that planes have computers on them and they would have problems. This guy went on for 90 minutes. At the end of the service. My grandmother introduced me to the man and she mentioned how I was just finishing up college with a communications degree and that led him to tell me his daughter was in school and when I asked what for, he said computers (IT). I said "oh well thats nice" but I wanted to say ... why? wouldnt that be a waste if the world was coming to the end and the y2k bug was going to destroy our computer infrastructure.

My point is that the same can be say for anyone depending on insulin, or other kinds of medicene's because of a major surgery, etc. The world will continue to turn, we are a strong people, we will continue. If all else fails the Fluid in your band will disappear overtime and you'll have strong willpower because no one will have money and you won't be able to go to mcdonalds to get a $100.00 cheeseburger.

I understand what you are saying (trust me...I get you)....However, I'm not going to go into a major economic lesson with you....I will share briefly that the world is in a much different place financially then in the year 2000.

Moving forward, do you have any thoughts as to people having to have fills/unfills the rest of your life? No one really talks much about this side of having the band in them. My brother has these fills/unfills as a convenience to his lifestyle.

He is definately more liberal with the band....eating and drinking more than he should and not eating right (stretching pouch). But I"m wondering.....do most people (who have the band or soon to have the band) will they have to have these fills/unfills for the rest of their lives?

EVENTUALLY....I'm hoping you don't have to have them anymore....or on a very limited basis. Maybe seeing my brother making frequent trips to the doctors (for fills/unfills -- 6 years post surgery) has skewed my thinking that the majority of bansters will be making frequent visits for these fills/unfills for the rest of their lives.

Thoughts/Opinions?

I see it no different than any other medical device people have implanted. Pace makers, insulin pumps, artificial joints, etc. All these things require lifelong care by a doctor and all these things are unlikely to last 20-30 years without needing to be replaced. It's just a fact of life. The band is no different.

I see it no different than any other medical device people have implanted. Pace makers, insulin pumps, artificial joints, etc. All these things require lifelong care by a doctor and all these things are unlikely to last 20-30 years without needing to be replaced. It's just a fact of life. The band is no different.

So are you saying that you will have to have fills/unfills for the rest of your life?

So are you saying that you will have to have fills/unfills for the rest of your life?

Yup it's likely I will. Once I'm done losing and have my band where I want it as far as fills, it'll be fine to stay that way for possibly years. But the Fluid can evaporate and slowly lessen with time, requiring a fill. If I have any other surgery, I will likely have to be unfilled for it then slowly refilled all over again.

Regardless, I'll still need to check in with my surgeon yearly just to make sure it's all in working order, too.

It's not a big a deal, and far less hassle and serious than the other implanted medical devices.

Yup it's likely I will. Once I'm done losing and have my band where I want it as far as fills, it'll be fine to stay that way for possibly years. But the Fluid can evaporate and slowly lessen with time, requiring a fill. If I have any other surgery, I will likely have to be unfilled for it then slowly refilled all over again.

Regardless, I'll still need to check in with my surgeon yearly just to make sure it's all in working order, too.

It's not a big a deal, and far less hassle and serious than the other implanted medical devices.

Interesting...many thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions Mis73...and CONGRATS on your amazing weight loss.

Blessings,

MD

I picture hitting my goal weight and never having to have fills or unfills... unrealistic? Probably.

There are people on here that are in maintenance and don't get fills anymore.

Personally, I think by that point I will have a strong hold on eating habits and my lifestyle will be so radically different from how it was before, that I won't need lifetime fills.

I don't have "restriction" and I've lost half of my weight already. It's simply because I made a choice to pay out of pocket for this surgery, and that was my reality check. I make better food choices and am more active than I ever was.

However, for many, that is not the case. It's different with everyone.