Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Have Questions And I Havent Had The Surgery Yet! Can U Help?

Today I was given the news that I would be getting the lap band surgery. The dr will call me next week to schedule. I am so anxious to get this ball rolling because I am over being fat! I weigh 244lbs and I am 5'7. I guess my questions are has anyone experienced complications?? Also what does the lap band help you out with the most? Does it help u not over eat like it says it does? My problem is now I eat past being full. I am afraid I will over eat still!! or will the bad really prevent that? This one of my many questions.

I just got banded June 20! I was afraid of the over eating part too but I take my time eating and I eat slow! Always measure your food that way you don't ove eat! We suppose to have 3 oz of Protein and 1 oz of whatever else! The hardest part for me was the 2 weeks liquid diet not a fan of Protein shakes! This week I'm on mushy food tomorrow I start solids! Just go thru the forums in here and read you will find a lot of helpful info, they help merlot and answered a lot of my questions!! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

The complication forums are under forums someplace? Yes, many have had complications. More have not. Just be aware that most bandsters never come here to post on this forum. Some bandsters have legitimate reasons to complain about their band but mostly I've seen that the majority of complaints come from people who could not follow the guidelines. And the guidelines are fairly easy. But remember, we're all fat or X-fat for a reason. We like to eat don't we?

"Does it help u not over eat like it says it does"

I believe you're asking if the band will stop you from eating toomuch? Actually no. That will still be up to you. If you follow the rules, the band helps you to feel satiated(full, satisfied) much sooner. There are some who eat around the band. That means that there are some foods that pass through the band just as they did in your stomach prior to banding. Ice cream, Soups, chips, quacamole, shakes, hamburger helper type meals, many italian dishes and anything loaded with sauce.

You can ramp up the band so that very little food can pass through the band. This is toomuch restriction for most and is not advised. Don't expect instant results. It may take several months to get to the point where you are losing weight. And with the band it's slower. Maybe 3-6 lbs a month avg.

My BMI was around 37 and I too was an overeater. I always wanted to feel like I've eaten a Thanksgiving dinner. I ate the wrong foods but I never really binged. I wasn't hung up on cola's, candy, cake. I just always ate toomuch. I love my band. But I went into this with rose colored glasses and I see so many others do the same. They post here every day. Keep reading and asking questions.

tmf

As is often written on this forum...the band is only a tool. And it will help you with Portion Control, but only if you learn how to use it properly.

You have to change your relationship with food; emotional eating, eating from boredom, all of that has to change. To be successful, you have to eat to live, not live to eat. And yes, you can eat around the band...you could eat small bites and maybe have it take an hour or longer to feel full, but bandster meals are not supposed to last longer than 20 minutes.

The band is very self empowering...because you determine the degree of how successful you will be on your weight loss journey. And that's determined by how compliant you are with following your diet. It will take a good amount of will power and behavior modification to get you through the first few months. It can be done, but you have to want the results strongly enough to stay with the diet.

I have had complications, but not from the band, only weight loss related complications. Still, I have been hospitalized 2 times since my band was placed.

It sounded to me that you need to do additional research into the band, how it works, what it's limitations are, and understand how strongly you are motivated to implement the life changing rules and diet for the rest of your life.

Best wishes...this is a great place to ask questions and learn!

For me it does stop me from overeating. If I were to eat to much I would be so miserable. As I got closer to my green zone u became less interested in food and just see it as fuel now. I don't enjoy eating like I used to because I can't gorge myself and I choose things to eat things that give me most nutritional value in a lot smaller quantities.

I eat now because I have to! Great placf to be at finally.

Thanks everyone. It helps to know how others are dealing with it. I know everyone will have different results but I'm hoping I can really follow the guidelines and have quick weight loss and be healthy.

And thats what I'm trying to do now is additional research. What's better then to ask people that have gone through it?

You are right, it is always better to ask and sometimes people who have lost a ton of weight forget that they had the same questions you do. I would say the band helps me realize when I am full and I am able to push the plate away. The band unlike other procedures like the sleeve, bypass and DS is a much slower process but it helps and has better long term results overall thats why I choose it. I am still very early in the process 3 1/2 months post op and have lost 10lbs with 3 fills. My doctors and others say the real weightloss comes when you have good restriction which can be 1-6 months for some after surgery. You will also need to commit to exersizing at some point like walking 30 min a day and think about what your eating and choosing foods that have a higher nutritional value like salad with griled fish or chicken vs. a hamburger. At the end of the day the band doesnt make it easy to loose weight but the choices you make and and the abality to feel full and push the plate away do be come eaiser. Good luck to you and keep posting the questions you are asking could be the ones others are thinking and to afraid to ask.

Today I was given the news that I would be getting the lap band surgery. The dr will call me next week to schedule. I am so anxious to get this ball rolling because I am over being fat! I weigh 244lbs and I am 5'7. I guess my questions are has anyone experienced complications?? Also what does the lap band help you out with the most? Does it help u not over eat like it says it does? My problem is now I eat past being full. I am afraid I will over eat still!! or will the bad really prevent that? This one of my many questions.

If you try to over eat you will throw-up. No matter where you are. You will need to get use to your new eating habits. I am a slow learner but I made it and you will too. Just remember NO, NO, NO carbonated beverages EVER!!!

I was an over eater. I ate because I was bored or just because I seen someone else eating. Sitting at a desk all day didn't help either. Just remember the band is a tool to help you lose weight. It's not a solution in itself.

I was banded February 1, 2012 and have lost 80 lbs without a fill. I had to change my mind set. I made myself aware of what I was eating by using the myfitnesspal app. This app is awesome!!! I also exercise on a regular basis. It's important to know the difference from "head hunger" and thirst. Now when I'm bored at my desk and I want to snack I usually take a couple sips of Water and I'm fine. The days when water doesn't help I usually have a few peanuts or a small serving of fruit.

Best of luck to you. This forum has helped me a lot.