Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Abdominoplasty, Back Lift And Brachioplasty

Hey all. I'm about 4 weeks post of from getting my skin removed from my tummy, back and arms. I had about 3 good weeks with only a few bad days, but this fourth week has been miserable. More pain and more fatigue. I just want to feel normal again. I want to get back out there and start exercising again. Sadness has begun to set in. Any advise or encouragement would be helpful. I thought that things would start to improve by the 4th week, but they seem to be going worse. Is this roller coaster normal?

On a more positive note, I am thankful that they removed about 12 pounds of skin!

I found that time sooo emotional i cant tell you, i am now 7 weeks post op from exactly the same surgery as u, i was 11 hours on the operating table lol but i can tell u that at week 5 to 6 things suddenly start improving drastically. I was totally unprepared for the emotional rollercoaster and it hit me hard, i had 9lbs of skin removed and a massive repair to my ab muscles which were almost non existant ... i am still wearing compression on my legs tummy etc as my legs are still somewhat fluidy due to there being so much loose skin on them too .. my arms healed great and i just wear compression of a night now, it does help keep the scars flat if u can continue to wear the compression on them .. i do my cycling on my exercise bike and started doing lighter strength training so light is at the end of the tunnel, lean on people, spend some money , go shopping :) make yourself feel better. I had to have a small unfill for the surgery so treated myself to a little more food. I still weigh the same as pre-surgery but will lose that again once i get my fill back ..

I am sending a virtual 'hug' as i know exactly what u are going through .. just ask if u want any more support :)

Sounds like you're really down. Just think about the final outcome. You'll look great. Can only imagine your pain. I had a panni last summer. Have been doing research on brachio. If you don't mind sharing. How much did it cost for the brachio? Or was it a package? And how is the healing of the arms?

Take care of yourself and go slow...that was not only major surgery but also had to be quite a shock to your body. Take care and don't be afraid to let your body just heal.

Thanks everyone for your support. It means ALOT! I finally had a good restful sleep last night so I know this has helped my mood as well as healing of my body.

My brachioplasty was part of a package. For the whole procedure with insurance only covering part of it I had to pay $1030.00. This was for abdominoplasty, panni, back lift and brachioplasty. Can you say my body is my new 'used' car that I need. LOL

I'm trying to go slow and be patient in this process of healing. It's just so hard. I was so active just before surgery. In fact, the Saturday before surgery I ran my first ever 10K (6.2 miles). I was so, but I ran the whole thing. I reached my goal for 2012. It's just so hard to struggle to walk a mile now, hunched over. I know it WILL get better, I just want it to be better now. Hmmmm, I sound like a 2 year old. LMBO. (oh wait, I no longer have a butt - LOL) as Ralph Malph on Happy Days says: "I still got it" (a little humor left in me) :)

Anyway, thanks again guys for the support. Means alot to me.

I feel your pain. It will be 4 weeks on Thursday since my TT, LBL, BL, and liposuction. I am more sore now but I think it is because more swelling has gone down and therefore less cushion around the healing areas. I am also back at work and that is not easy. I went to the doc today the incisions under my breasts are healing slow. He said that happens a lot because of the location. Oh well!

I did go shopping and was shocked how good the clothes looked on me. It was fun!

Good luck!

I am 7 weeks out and week 3-6 were the worst. I can't exercise yet but started feeling great a few days ago. Made me realize how bad I had been feeling. I went thru a little "depression" crying all of the time. It was kind of rough. I think it was also all of the pain pills I was taking and then trying to quit smoking. It does get better. I just signed up for an all girls mud run, an obstacle course thing and I'm looking forward to that!

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I know what you mean Karen about the little 'depression'. I'm experiencing it as well as I stated in my original post. It's so frustrating. I had some complications from a lovenox shot that they gave me (which was protocol) and it thinned my blood so much that I ended up getting a blood clot along one of the back incisions. I needed emergency surgery to take care of that. Along with some other issues that occurred, my dr felt that there was some PTSD going on. Big sigh...................This to shall pass though. I just hope soon.

Skinny Jill, I was able to get out for 2 hours yesterday and went to the local Kohl's store and was "SHOCKED" to find that I can fit into a size 6 pant and a size small shirt. I was beaming from ear to ear. If they had cameras in the dressing room they were cracking up just like I was because I was giggling, laughing and saying to myself: "these are a size 6? I'm in a size 6! I can't believe it I'm........" It was fun indeed. I was tuckered out though after my short trip. But it WILL get better from here as I've gained encouragement from everybodies posts!

Thanks everyone!

I am now coming up for 8 weeks post op and i am now back to cycling over 20 miles a day and increasing my strength training every day too, my surgeon wont let me do any ab work for 3 months but i can feel how tight they are, if i lose focus i just keep looking at my before pics and i realise how far i have come .. keep resting and healing u are doing fine !

Oh Cazzy, I can't wait to get back to exercising. I've been going mad at just resting. I am complying with it though as I don't want to do more damage and have a set back. I too look at before pics and remember how far I've come. I even carry one in my purse to remind myself. Thanks so much for your encouragement. You're the best! :)

Mind you i havent been out on my road bike yet, ill wait for the 3 month threshold for that in case i fall off lol .. Am back for my fill on monday as i had some taken out the band for the surgery , now i need it back in as i am eating like a horse but only healthy food , so maintaining my weight but i need to lose the 9lbs of skin they took .. my legs still need doing , that wiwll be next year jury is still out on the breasts as a good bra does make them seem pretty normal, and ofc the cost is a consideration too, i want to go swimming but wont with my legs the way they are .. the rest of me i am pleased with its was never going to be a miracle lift at my age, but its a good attempt at one and am very pleased with my arms. I do not have the guts to post my before pics as they are awful and i am ashamed of them .. i might try to get the courage to do the after ones tho eventually !

Normality is only a couple of weeks away then u can start really enjoying your new image :)

Yeah, my legs and breasts need done. I have to save up some PTO (paid time off) from work again so that probably won't be for another year and a half or two. I won't go out in a bathing suit either. Not until I can get my legs and breasts back to normal. Yes a good bra helps, but I would still like to have perky breasts for the first time since puberty. LOL

I decided on the RNY surgery because I didn't want to have to keep going in for fills or unfills. Do you find that a nuisance at all?

Actually no i dont mind going in at all , and now i am only going in for the fill to be put back in , maintenance once u reach goal doesnt really involve fills any more maybe once or twice a year for a check up .. I am 58 yrs old now , my boobies i think will do me now, if i was younger i might think differently, but i totally understand why people want them done, if money was no object i would do them but my legs are in serious need my boobies are more of a 'want' than 'need' lol

Sounds like you're feeling much better. Well I did LMBO at the thought of you in the dressing room(I still have a lot of it to loose). It is amazing when you reach that kind of milestone. It makes it all worth while. Glad your over the hump.

I'm feeling better as far as the incisions. My issue now is I may have an ulcer due to stopping my Prilosec. I'm in pain and am VERY bloated. I go to see a gastroenterologist next week, but don't know if I can wait until then. I'm quite uncomfortable. :(

You can do it barbie. If you need any support or encouragement, just let me know. I'm here to help in any way that I can. :)