Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having my Band replaced

hi trish, i had my band installed 2 1/2 years ago. i lost approx. 80 pounds mainly in the first 1 - 1.5 years. approx. 6 months ago i went in for an adjustment and i didn"t notice any tightness. i thought i had left it longer than usual for my tightning(adjustment) anyway over the next 3-4 weeks i had 2 more adjustments and still no tightness. well after six xray's and 1 gastrograph(sp) stomach camera. i was told it was't working. (no kidding) i had a secound operation and they discovered leak in tub half way between receptor and band. they replaced tubing to the band. surgery was very easy, especially since they did not have to fill me with gas. i went home from hospital the same day. back to work in 2 days. anyway, they put in 5 mils whilst on operating table. two weeks later they put in 4 more mils. there was still NO restriction. went in for more xrays and sure enough they found a leak in the band. "bummer" the doctor is now giving me the option of replacement band or gastric sleeve? i'm eager to lose weight,but i think sleeve is so permanent with possible side effects. the scary thing is, i had kept the 80 pounds off for nearly a year. in the last six months, whilst going back and forth with all these tests. i have managed to put All my weight loss back on. i don't understand what caused band to rupture/break but i was very happy with it until breakage. i guess best thing is to get new lap band and start over. at least i know i can loss the weight with the band properly functioning. it's been a very frustrating 6 months, but i am keeping positive that i will get back on track and back to a proper size and health level. this is my very first chat room of any kind. i hope i have been of some comfort. at least you now know someone that has gone through similiar experiences to yourself. if you want , let me know how your new surgery goes, and i can keep you up to date with mine??? best wishes jim

Jim, I am so sorry I did not see this post until now. There is another person on here that just had her band replaced due to a leak in the band. I was planning on have my surgery April 27 1 day before my bandaverisary but I have to wait until May 25th. I am thinking of it a new experence. I will be starting all over. Lets keep in touch okay.. PM or email me anytime!

Well everyone my surgery will be May 25th. I talked to Denise from Inamed today and she was just the nicest person. I hope to get all this fixed soon. Right now I am more worried about the little infection I have over my port area then my leaky band. but I am hanging in there.. I want to cry sometimes but I WONT let myself!!! I need to be strong and know that this 2nd time WILL work for me. Thank you all for putting up with me and all my problems you all have been wonderful support! (((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

Trish, what a great attitude you have! I know you'll be a huge success with your new band, or with whatever the road throws your way. You're an inspiration, really! Best of luck to you on the next leg of this journey. :hug:

Trish, your taking a frusterating situation and making it a positive. Alll the best for a new lease on life with a new band.

May 25th cant come fast enough!

Although, Im worried about that port infection. :phanvan

You know, LBT's history with port infections hasnt been very positive. :nervous

MEGA (((hugs))) - I applaud you for being SO darn positive! :clap2:

I have been struggling with an infection in my port incision too. I have been on Anti-biotics for a long time. I think it is almost closed now. ONe thing I started doing that seemed to help for what the info is worth. I started covering it when I took a shower or got wet with a Water proof band aid. After I started that the incision started to heal.. Not sure, maybe your infection was in the port not the incision? Anyway, good luck with the new beginning!!

Trish, Sorry I'm just seeing this post for the first time.

Jim and Trish I had my band replace a year ago and I'm down another 28 lbs. (that's what it's all about).

The replacement was easier than the first banding. I was fortunate to have Dr. Sanchez who replaced it for free charging CJ medical, the makers of the AMI swedish band, due to it was faulty. I now have an Inamed band with only one fill (1.3cc).

I did go through a leak repair prior to replacement but it didn't work.

I'm so glad I was re-banded. the worries and fustration of a leaky band or tubing is depressing.

I will add if I ever had to have my band removed without the option of re-banding, I would have the gastric sleeve proceedure. The fear of gaining all my weight back would be devistating. A very hard choice.

Best of luck, your in my thoughts.

I have been struggling with an infection in my port incision too. I have been on Anti-biotics for a long time. I think it is almost closed now. ONe thing I started doing that seemed to help for what the info is worth. I started covering it when I took a shower or got wet with a Water proof band aid. After I started that the incision started to heal.. Not sure, maybe your infection was in the port not the incision? Anyway, good luck with the new beginning!!

Glad to hear your incision is closing up... Mine on the other hand was NOT an incision but merly a needle poke from getting a fill (for the 7th time) just one simple poke caused what you see above. I got my meds and will be taking them as the Dr. ordered.

The replacement was easier than the first banding.

Im am praying it will be the same for me. I remember when you got yours replaced, your leak was in the tubing, correct? I am actually looking forward to my new band... but for now I am more worried about this infection. it seems like everything is getting tossed at me at once and I dont seem to have the ability to soak it all in... taking it one step at a time thats all I can do for the moment.

Hi Trish, Yes my leak was in a kink in the tubing.

I’ve read this thread over and the open sore thread. And I’ve got questions. How did your doctor know the port was leaking to be re-placed? Did you have a leak check under fluoroscopy? That’s the only real way to see the leak and know where it is. I remember being filled with over 7cc’s and no restriction. That’s when my doctor put the contrast in and we could see the leak under fluoroscopy and knew exactly where it was.

I believe I read that part of your tubing was replaced along with the port. When they did that with me it didn’t work. The part they sew together with a sleeve broke apart.

This whole infection bothers me; it could travel to your band. And why the waiting to get re-banded? Your band doc should be on this and get you fixed up ASAP. I know its hard traveling; I was going back and forth to Mexico and had to arrange for extra child care.

Hopeing the best for you.

OK I might get blasted for this but come on people. If you have an infection then the port HAS to come out and the wound needs to heal before a new port can be replaced.

If you have any infection brewing it has the potential to lead to erosion. I SHOULD KNOW!! LISA (DELARLA) SHOULD KNOW!!

Please don't take it lying down. DON'T wait almost a month to get something done. My surgeon had me in surgery within a week of finding out my issues. He had me in surgery to remove the band within HOURS of finding out my erosion.

Any infection need to be treated pronto. Any port infection needs to have the port removed (most likely that is the source of the infection) and have the surrounding tissue healed prior to any further surgery. Yes that most likely means an open wound that you will need to pack but that is the only way it will heal. Sepsis can set in fast and there are new critters mutating every day that become immune to all our great antibiotics. So don't treat an infection lightly. If you are not getting answers from your doc that you like ask him to explain why he is waiting.

Why isn't taking the port or band out and letting your area heal first before putting a new port or band back into an infected area worth exploring?

What are the chances that this port or band would become infected too?

What are the chances this might lead to an erosion? Get him to explain his answer in detail. If not then why not?

Please be informed. I don't want any of you to lose your bands or ports. PLEASE ask the hard questions.