Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update: Future Bandster In Saudi

Hello Everyone

I haven't posted for a while and rarely visit the board these days. I had slipped into a pretty bad funk because I have no clue when I will be banded. If you recall, I have the opportunity to be banded for free at the Government Hospital. The problem is that the WLC is newly established and the equippment hasn't arrived yet. My surgeon keeps saying that it should be here soon, but I know how these things work. It could be tomorrow or it could be forever. The last time I spoke with him he was writing a letter to the head of the Ministry of Health to remind him that he was set up and ready to go, but needs his equipment.

Today, I had to go to the hospital to have an infected ingrown toenail checked out. It has been like this for two months and has been part of my depression because I do not leave the house, as it is too painful to walk. I was given a creme by a doctor at the clinic a while back, but even then I suspected it needed drained. Well the dr. today asked if I had diabetes because it is healing so slow. I probably do. I have had gestational diabetres with all of my pregnancies and I have not had follow up since my son was born. I really don't want to know.

Anyway, I am scheduleed to have surgery on my toe wedsnday, God Willing. They will remove the root of the nail, drain and clean the absess. That got me to thinking about my weight again. If I could lose it, I may not have to worry about diabetes and these horrible infections I get from my chronic ingrown toenails. I started calling the private hospitals in my area. A few months ago I had contacted a known specialty hosptial that actually has a baratric clinic and advertises for this and whose publications I have read in online medical journals about studies for the gastric band. They charge about $6500.00 for the band so I dismissed that idea and tired to patiently wait for my dr. Well I couldn't take it anymore and I called two other very good private hospitals in the area. One charged the same and the other, my favorite charges less than $4000.00. I like this hospital and always have because they are ran by a sub-government. They are paid for by the major oil companies for their employers. So they do not profit like totally private hospitals. I spoke with the dr. and he was very knowledgable about the band. Much more than my dr who I know really doesnt know much. He is a good surgeon but has only done 3 bands and doesnt know much more than how to put it on. This other dr. was able to discuss it with me and had done 90 bands himself. I am to have a consultation with him tommorow and if all goes well can be banded in about two weeks!

It is amazing how good news can lift your spirits. I feel so much better. I still must work on being patient because now I am very anxious to get it over with.

I guess i'll be hanging out around here more :)

Oh gosh, I understand your low spirits. Too look forward to something then bam, it never occurs (if and when?). So glad that you are moving forward and not waiting on the WLC to setup shop. I always feel better when I know that I'm doing SOMETHING. The other surgeons sound very reasonable in their prices.

Good luck and best wishes.. Shawn

Assalamu Alaikum:

Feeling the way you do is perfectly normal!! :) Insha'Allah, you'll be able to get your surgery soon. I'd definitely go with the guy whose done 90 bands vs. 3 :) Be sure to talk with your surgeons about fills/adjustments... when you'll come back for the first one... are they covered (at least for the first year) in the price you pay for surgery, etc.

Ramadan can be really interesting with a band. I was always super tight in the morning, so I was lucky if I could get in a liter of Water and maybe some hot chocolate (made with milk) for sujud. Then for iftar... you have to just plan on a sloooow progressive dinner. Start with Soup... maybe milk. NOt sure if you'll be able to tolerate dates or not. For me, chunks of meat (the dish of fattah is popular among my community) did not work at all.

Peace.

Yes, I hope everything goes quickly and you start losing that weight! Hope your toenail gets better! My son had to have both his big toenails removed when he was about 15. He put on tennis shoes and played basketball that night!

See? God was pushing you to call around. He really does work in mysterious ways. I feel bad for you - toes can cause so much pain because of the nail! I'll pray that you heal well. Yes, loosing weight definately reduces your risk of diabetes. if you had gestational, then you are very likely to develop diabetes type II during your lifetime. Keeping your weight down really helps the battle.

I'm so glad you decided to check around some more! It's exciting that you can make these other arrangements. I"ll be praying that everything goes well and that you have a speedy and pain-free recovery! Keep us posted~

Emily

Oh Kabeerah! I'm so sorry about your toe, that's gotta hurt! Yowie-ouch! (((hugs))) And yes, that being confined to your house can really add to a depression.

I want you to seriously think about getting checked for diabetis, it's very serious, and the complications can litterally kill you if you are not careful!

I too would go with the doc that's done 90 over the one that's done 3. It just makes sense that way.

I'll keep you in my thoughts hoping you have a good consult with the doc, and it would be wonderful if you could be banded in a few weeks as opposed to months!