Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are You Prepared For The Consequences Of Your Blessings?

Are you Prepared for the Consequences of your blessings? I just want all old bandsters and new bandsters to know that the more weight you loose and the healthier you get! There will be consequences for your blessings and you must be ready for it!! I have learned that this is and will be a life changing event!! This is not a miracle cure for weight loss but it is and can be a blessing in disguise! The dictionary states that a blessing in disguise is: something that at first appears to be bad or unlucky but is actually good!!

And if you are not prepared for the consequences that follow this weight loss journey!! This can be a very negative event! I have heard many say that they feel that that the Lap Band Failed them. You must have faith, because if you have been a victim for so long and have had many bad experiences anything that good the follows it may appear to be a threat!!

But know that those who have been through hell and back this could be a major revelation for you!! Learn to be prepared for the consequences of your blessings!! People will envy you, not be supportive, even hate you!! But find family and friends that support you and hold on to them!!

The trouble with weight has not come to break you, its a test to make you stronger!! Its almost like a open book test the questions are located in the back! of the book! No reason to fail! You just have to do research to get the answers!! Its a Test!! None of us can fail because the answers are there!! God will never give us test that we are not prepared for!! You must learn how to do research on this Lap Band Weight loss so we can pass the test!! Failure is not an option!!

You are right! We can all learn from others failures and successes! Many people on this site have had great sucesses and have lost over 200 lbs. It is not easy, life is not easy. It is not always fair, but life is not fair. Some folks fail, and some have failed lapband. I don't know why some lapbands seem to fail. Is it human error or manufacture error?? Either way, there is a failure and some folks just take it as another failed diet. I am sorry for that; but if they are forum followers, as I am, they will see that there are far more successes than failures. Thank you! Karen

Thanks I needed this....I am getting banded 7/10....great encouragement :)

Are you Prepared for the Consequences of your blessings? I just want all old bandsters and new bandsters to know that the more weight you loose and the healthier you get! There will be consequences for your blessings and you must be ready for it!! I have learned that this is and will be a life changing event!! This is not a miracle cure for weight loss but it is and can be a blessing in disguise! The dictionary states that a blessing in disguise is: something that at first appears to be bad or unlucky but is actually good!!

And if you are not prepared for the consequences that follow this weight loss journey!! This can be a very negative event! I have heard many say that they feel that that the Lap Band Failed them. You must have faith, because if you have been a victim for so long and have had many bad experiences anything that good the follows it may appear to be a threat!!

But know that those who have been through hell and back this could be a major revelation for you!! Learn to be prepared for the consequences of your blessings!! People will envy you, not be supportive, even hate you!! But find family and friends that support you and hold on to them!!

The trouble with weight has not come to break you, its a test to make you stronger!! Its almost like a open book test the questions are located in the back! of the book! No reason to fail! You just have to do research to get the answers!! Its a Test!! None of us can fail because the answers are there!! God will never give us test that we are not prepared for!! You must learn how to do research on this Lap Band Weight loss so we can pass the test!! Failure is not an option!!

The insights you share are so accurate...having the band surgery has destroyed a friendship of over 40 years for me. My former friend tried to talk me out of the surgery (she had the original gastric bypass over 10 years ago)...and apparently decided that if she was going to be obese, and I was not, then the relationship was not worth enough to maintain.

Initially, this hurt me; but after developing a better understanding of the situation, I understand that she is the one with the problems. There's nothing I can do about that...still a sad situation. But still no regrets for having my surgery and feeling better!

I hesitate to write this .........but as I read some of the post on here I can almost pinpoint who is going to make it and who isn't. And it is all about attitude. The folks who post asking how can they twist the rules to eat something that is not on the pre or post diet. The worry about the liquid diet parts. I don't mean to be a smart a$$ but come on thats why every diet we have ever been on has failed we cheated, we ate what wasn't on the diet then we figured we blew it and we might as well eat.

I want to say look your Dr, PA, Nutritionist, Physch, know what they are doing your paying the big bucks why not just listen to them and try to follow the rules just like they gave them too you.

I try really hard to be kind but honestly it isn't always easy, guess I am a TOUGH LOVE kind of Lady. Some folks can sugar coat things but we all got FAT doing the things we wanted. THe band is a tool, sometimes you get hungry, No one ever died from hunger carrying around 100 extra lbs. The band opens the door to control , but you have to still walk through it . It's a gift but you do have to unwrap it.

Peoples reactions to my amount of weight loss have been extremely positive, its my reaction that has been less than positive at times, its wierd that i have all these positives in my life now i have lost weight and yet i still have days that the positivity leaves me. I have a wonderful DH and plastic surgeon, who took 9lbs of skin off me and yet days can still be filled with self loathing over the state of my body and what i have done to it over the years. You solve one problem and find another to concentrate on, i dont know if its due to the amount of weight i lost but once i lost the weight, then my loose skin was an issue , i get rid of 9lbs of skin and now the skin on my legs is annoying me, once i have them done next year i am sure i will find something else to concentrate on, i am sure the others who have lost weight and had plastic surgery know what i am talking about. I am not worried about friends or family's reactions anymore i am more concerned over my reactions to me, why wasnt i this critical over me when i was obese ..

Some of living with this weight loss is about the emotional changes not just the physical, i would have to get out of my life anyone that wasnt supportive to me as i just wouldnt want that negativity in my life ..

I hesitate to write this .........but as I read some of the post on here I can almost pinpoint who is going to make it and who isn't. And it is all about attitude. The folks who post asking how can they twist the rules to eat something that is not on the pre or post diet. The worry about the liquid diet parts. I don't mean to be a smart a$$ but come on thats why every diet we have ever been on has failed we cheated, we ate what wasn't on the diet then we figured we blew it and we might as well eat.

I want to say look your Dr, PA, Nutritionist, Physch, know what they are doing your paying the big bucks why not just listen to them and try to follow the rules just like they gave them too you.

I try really hard to be kind but honestly it isn't always easy, guess I am a TOUGH LOVE kind of Lady. Some folks can sugar coat things but we all got FAT doing the things we wanted. THe band is a tool, sometimes you get hungry, No one ever died from hunger carrying around 100 extra lbs. The band opens the door to control , but you have to still walk through it . It's a gift but you do have to unwrap it.

Wow... you spoke the exact thoughts that have run through my head many times. Well said and I totally agree.

I agree that we should listen to the doctors we chose and follow the plan given to the letter. However, lap band isn't a brain transplant, and there are many of us that will not just wake up one day and say "oh, I get it." It's a lifestyle that each individual has to adapt to. I have paid a ton of money to dieting consultants, pills, special shakes and food. That didn't change the way my brain worked either. Lap band is a tool....just like many other "tools" it's still can be a struggle for those who have the food addiction. That's when counseling may need to looked into. Just like alcoholics or drug addicts....a food addict cannot do it on thier own either. I am greatful to find a site that has so much diversity, and hope to find the support I need to continue this process.

Hi my name is Keke, and I am a food addict.

Peoples reactions to my amount of weight loss have been extremely positive, its my reaction that has been less than positive at times, its wierd that i have all these positives in my life now i have lost weight and yet i still have days that the positivity leaves me.

Typically, we are our own worst critics....

I am wondering if there is some type of research data out there that has the successes vs. the failures and what the ratio is between going to a Center of Excellence vs. going to an independent surgeon.

Cazzy, I have been there I have lost over 200 pounds had plastic surgery and will have my legs done in July and I cant for the life of me understand why I wasn't critical of myself when I was over 300 pounds like I was when I reached bellow my goal weight. The only answer I have is that being that big I was dead inside I didn't care about my self and when you don't care about yourself you can't even be critical of yourself and thats worse. When I started caring about myself that was when the critical part of me came out (critical towards myself) I had to realize that my self worth didn't come from the way I looked or the # on the scale that kept me in bondage my worth came from who I am in Christ. :-)

What you have written in this post about the individual looking at ways to "bend" the system (in this case, the recommended diet) can also be said about other addictions as well.

I spent years working as an addictions counselor for a county drug court program, and it was amazing to witness the lengths some people will go to try to manipulate the "system" (in this case the treatment center and the court) to bend the rules to accommodate them. I could also predict, virtually from week 1 who would successfully complete the treatment program. I once had a client come to my office late on a Friday afternoon to request a treatment compliance letter for court on the following Monday morning. If he did not have the letter, he was going to go to jail. I asked my client how long had he been aware that he would need this letter, and he said for several weeks. My reply was that I could have the letter for him on Monday afternoon...and that his lack of planning did not constitute my emergency. It was a common treatment issue for a "population" dealing with addictions...manipulate the system instead of changing choices and behaviors.

Many of us had/have an addiction to food...emotional eating to cope with problems, stress, or boredom. And I agree, I have been amazed by the threads I have read that discuss which alcoholic drinks you can have shortly after surgery...how many calories, and so on. Also posts discussing ways to continue to have the carbs many have gained weight on, instead of recognizing that their relationship and understanding about food and the emotions which are associated with it need to change, if they want to have a successful and lasting weight loss journey.

Alright, I do see a valid reason for sugar free throat drops for sore throats or coughing...but sugar free chocolate candies? I had to give up chocolate if I wanted to even hope to loose weight...and agree that if I continued to believe that it was alright to have chocolate as before, I would only be setting myself up to fail with weight loss. An occasional piece of chocolate is believed to be healthy...but if you have an "addictive" personality, one piece is too many and a hundred is not enough.

There will be a number of others here on the forum who will disagree with my beliefs about the process of change as necessary for success, and manipulative behaviors as a predictor of failure, but success or failure is directly related to changing our choices and our behavior. What we were doing before with failed diets did not work...and to expect a different outcome if our approach to solving the problem does not change is not realistic.

This quote "Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results" appears in the Basic Text of Narcotics Anonymous.

I'm not implying that we are drug addicts, only that some of the same behaviors packed on the pounds...and change in beliefs and behaviors is the only way to success with loosing weight.

IMHO...your mileage may vary. Best wishes to all of us for success...