Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pancreatic Disease/issues

I had a serious case of acute pancreatitis caused by gallstones about 8 months after getting a lap band. I was doing fine after the lap band surgery, but one morning suddenly developed severe abdominal pains. I ended up in an ambulance, and was in the hospital 4 straight months. My case was one of the worst - 8 operations, another 2 1/2 months in the hospital, lots of complications to numerous to mention (here's a sampling - multi-organ failure, sepsis, an ileostomy (now reversed), severe malnutrition, a cancer diagnosis probably due to a weakened immune system, etc.etc. etc. I went about 4 months with an open wound (healed by a wound vac) and nothing by mouth, not even Water. I was told it was a miracle I survived. I also lost my lap band, but lost a lot of weight due to the illness so am now normal weight. It was an absolute nightmare, but I survived, recovered, and am doing really, really well now - after a little over 3 years I have lots of abdominal scars but no disabilities. Looking at me, you would have no idea now what I went through. I had to retire on disability, but a year ago (all of this happened beginning in March, 2009) I returned to work, in a job that was a significant promotion over my previous job. As I write this, I can hardly believe what I endured, and that I am doing so well. Incidentally, my lap band surgeon cared for me throughout and performed all of my surgeries. My problems were not caused by anything he did wrong, just bad luck.

God is good! Good luck at all of you.

Well I had another "attack" and went for bloodwork during it. My bloodwork came back with elevated liver enzymes. My pcp then ordered an ultrasound on my liver, pancreas and gall bladder. Results....gall stones. I am now referred back to the surgeon who did my lab band. I see him Monday. Glad that's all that's wrong.

I've had pancreatitis before - it's EXTREMELY painful. I think that if you hd something wrong with your pancreas, you'd know it FOR SURE. In 1994, I had my gallbladder out. For 2 yrs following, I experienced tummy pain when eating meat or anything really. They did the scope and found nothing. Finally got an ERCP (an xray that they put s scope down your throat and shoot die into your bile duct) and spilling of the dye onto my pancreas caused pancreatitis. I remember writhing in pain in the ER begging for pain meds. They had to wait till my labs were back to see if that was the cause. Spent 6 days in the hospital, NPO, on major pain meds. They told me that once you have it, you'll have a chronic pancreatitis forever.

About 5 yrs later when I was stationed in Germany (Army), I came down with severe stomach pain that was exactly the same. After a nite spent in the hospital, I was fine. I've never had any other problems with it.

Just wanted to let you know that if you have pancreas problems, the doctor probably wouldn't have let you go home. You'd be in a lot of pain also! Just an FYI...

Marci