Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Slips, No More Band.

For all intents and purposes, I've had great success with my band. In almost two years, I've lost 92.5lbs. To say I am a new person is an understatement.

Now, I wasn't the perfect band patient 100% of the time, but I did follow the rules for the most part. In two years, I've had three slips. The first starting Nov 2011, and I attributed it to portion size and eating too fast. The second slip, earlier this year was caused by vomitting when I was physically sick. Instantly I felt like a pop and then it was followed by nights of reflux. Again, they took out the Fluid 100%. Now this last time, happened yesterday.

I went in to see my Dr on 6/13 and was told I had a marginal dialation that looked like it could be corrected with a two week plan of liquids, mushies, and .5c meals twice a day. So that is EXACTLY what I did. (Ok, I had one day when I went to the amusement park and had some popcorn and a few bites of funnel cake. I'm not gonna lie! But, I knew my limits and stayed within them.).

In that time til my next appt, yesterday, they were pleased with my 4lb loss in thirteen days. The reflux was non-existent and I was thrilled that I seemed to have corrected the band issues I was having.

WRONG.

Imagine my shock when I saw on the Xray that my stomach had totally muffin-topped over my band. Something happened in those thirteen days that I can't explain. It was so bad, they even asked me if I was in pain because it looked pretty bad on the monitor. NOTHING. ZERO. ZILCH. No pain, no reflux, no NOTHING. SHOCK. Pure shock that that could have happened in 13 days of being on a strict liquid/mushy diet and only eating a cup of food a day.

Now, almost two years to the day I had my surgery, I'm told my band needs to come out and I'm SCARED TO DEATH. The doctor (one of the best in the country) is saying the band is failing many people and its promise for long-term use were incorrect. :( The slips are re-occuring at an alarming rate and it's proving to not be a long-term solution like it was originally intended.

My question is, and I do have one, do you REALLY think it needs to come out...or do you think it will hurt anything if my stomach slides back down to where it needs to be? Now, I'm not looking for fills anytime soon, I'm just scared to death of losing what I've worked so hard for and being left with nothing. He seems to think it could turn into a life threatening situation and it does need to come out. I'm scheduled for an EGD on 7-26, and then I will meet with the surgeon again to decide when it's going to come out.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, he's strongly advising me to get the Sleeve. Which would be fine and dandy if my insurance would cover it. Granted, I have great insurance and they covered my band two years ago, but now I'm with another company and since my BMI is only 32 with no co-morbitities, I'm dead in the Water. :(

Anyway, thanks for getting through that if you've read it all.

I'm just so disappointed, so upset, so frustrated and my world has completely been turned upside down following this new revelation.

-T

Wow I am so sorry!!!

If your stomach is prolapsed through the band (that's what that muffin top thing is), and your surgeon says it needs to come out, then yes it definitely does. You don't want to permanently damage your stomach, or cause much more serious health issues, by living with a malfunctioning band.

I can't even imagine what you're going through, I'd be devastated too, But do listen to your surgeon- the band isn't worth putting your life at risk for,

Again, I'm very sorry :(

I would definitely let him remove the band. I would also move Heaven and Earth to try to revise to the sleeve. The things I've read about weight gain after band removal are horrifying. It doesn't even sound like "normal" weight gain. It sounds more like accelerated weight gain due to the body being so accustomed to such small amounts of food while banded.

Ohh my goodness! I have not had a slip yet but I am sure it will eventually happen. I am 11 months into the band. I too would feel the same emotions you are feeling at this moment. Please keep me posted as you will be in the back of my mind. I think I have had 4 fills & they put me on that x ray machine each time they fill me and make me drink that stuff to watch it going down the throat. I do think I tore my hyateal (sp) hernia (sp) that was fixed during the surgery as I have felt a pop too when getting sick because I ate too much too fast.... I get my next fill 7/18.

Please keep me posted on all.

I am thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way.

Best,

Karen

So is there no chance, with a complete unfill that it can go back into place?

I would be devistated if I lost my band.

Wishing you the best.

The things I've read about weight gain after band removal are horrifying. It doesn't even sound like "normal" weight gain. It sounds more like accelerated weight gain due to the body being so accustomed to such small amounts of food while banded.

Oh dear gawd- I haven't even researched that aspect of it. I know when I've been without fluids, the most I gained was 9lbs in a 3mo period. Who knows what it will be like when I'm free range. :(

Ugh...just makes this struggle suck even more.

Oh dear gawd- I haven't even researched that aspect of it. I know when I've been without fluids, the most I gained was 9lbs in a 3mo period. Who knows what it will be like when I'm free range. :(

Ugh...just makes this struggle suck even more.

I didn't want to make you feel worse. I just like to know the good, the bad, and the ugly about anything when I'm making a decision.

So is there no chance, with a complete unfill that it can go back into place?

I would be devistated if I lost my band.

Wishing you the best.

He said that it's possible that it could go back into place, because it has in the past (but granted it wasn't this bad before), but he said it will probably keep happening over and over again. He said the band itself is malfunctioning and it wasn't my fault. I don't blame the band entirely, but from the number of personal friends I've known who have had the same thing happen, it can't be just US. KWIM? I go in on 8/1 for the results of the EGD and I think that is when they will schedule the removal. I'm going to INSIST on another fluoroscope so they can see it and determine if it really does need to come out. I know, he said it does right now, but I'm praying it corrects itself. Even then, for some reason I get the impression that he's going to start limiting the amount of new bands he does, and strictly focus on Sleeves and Bypasses.

He made a good point in saying that people who have had weight issues all their lives really do need a PERMANENT solution, and although LB was supposed to be permanent, it's proving not to be. He said he just got back from a conference and the general consensus of all the doctors were they are appalled by the complication rate with the bands that have been in 2+ years. I haven't researched a lot on the net, but my little circle of people I know who are going on 2+ years with the band, out of 4 of us, 3 have had slips and 2 need it to come out.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I bawled my eyes out all the way home yesterday, and then drowned my sorrows in a bacon cheeseburger and fries last night (emotional eater much?!). I know, it wasn't the best choice. OK, it was absolutely the worst thing to do (and my body is reminding me all day what eating crap feels like), but I was sticking it to the man!! Won't be doing that again. LOL

I am so sorry. I, too, have had 2 slips. He performed surgery teh 2nd time, but did not remvoe itand was able to revision it. I am at the total of my fill that I can take(which is a measely 5 cc), aand I have to amke sur eto keep within my calories to loose or not gain.. I too would be devistated if I lost my badn. Keep in touch! Karen

I noticed that you were banded several years ago. I was told by my surgeon that the latest and greatest Allergan LapBand AP is proving to be a better long term solution than those who received a band years ago. Perhaps you can get a new band???

I noticed that you were banded several years ago. I was told by my surgeon that the latest and greatest Allergan LapBand AP is proving to be a better long term solution than those who received a band years ago. Perhaps you can get a new band???

That wasn't even mentioned as an option to me, but I will look into it. Thank you. My band is only 2yrs old and it's an Allergan 10cc. The most i've ever had in it was a 6, I think. I'd have to check my blog to remember. ;)

I am sorry to hear about your issues. I have been banded 4.5 years and never had a slip.

You might want to see another lap band doctor before you have it removed.

Good luck!