Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surprise Bill In The Mail

I am post op 3 months now and just recently received a surprise bill for the surgical assistant for $2000.00. My insurance will only allow $250.00 payment. I called the billing dept for this assistant and received a rude customer service rep stating that they will not accept any payment lower than the total amount due since the SA is not covered by my insurance. I did not have the opportunity to pick out the SA only my doctor did. Has anyone else experienced this predicament? That's $44.00 per min charge for a 45 min surgery.

Good question, the Bariatric center where I go has 4 surgeons and only ONE is in my network. He will have another assistant with him because they need two.One surgeon cannot do this surgery alone. I suppose if I get a bill for this I will fight it with my insurance company. ..

Let us know the outcome of this I would really like to know...

-Patty

Most surgeons who use an assistant, typically will bill the ins co. hoping they pay. If they don't pay, then most surgeons write it off. I would speak to a supervisor or the original surgeon's billing dept.

Like Patty above, my surgeon has 3 other surgeons in the group and yes, they always need a surgical assistant. I would start with your surgeon's office first by saying you were never told of an assist nor a charge.Good luck.

Did you call there billing department or your surgeons office? I had the same thing happen and I called my surgeons office right away. Since they chose the assistant, she was willing to just accept what the insurane was willing to pay.

Yes, I would call the physician who did your surgery and speak with "him personally". Stand your gound or you will be paying the bill, good luck! :D

I got a surprise bill in the mail for almost $5 thousand after I was told I only had my co-pay. Come to find out my referral didn't get placed in the right hands. So *knock on wood* I haven't gotten another bill from them.. Hope yours is an easy fix.