Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 4/20/12 And Concerned.......

Guys I was banded 4/20/12 and fluctuate between 193 and 199 pds. I have had only one "fill", 1 cc since I was banded. I had two appts for "fills" but the doctor would not fill my band because my allergies were acting up. I am a little discouraged. I initially went to lap band consult and weighed in at 217 pds. The day of surgery I weighed in at 199 pds.....I lost those 18 pds on my own. So today when I went to my visit the PA told me that I want to achieve weight loss due to better eating habits and NOT because of RESTRICTION,...........I am somewhat confused!!!!!! I thought the point of having the freaking band placed is to cause satiety due to restriction along with better eating habits..........maybe I didn't get the memo..........if that was the case then I should have went to a nutritionist and never got banded. I really need feedback here becuase I still consider myself a NEWBIE. I am not trying to be negative whatsoever I just didn't like what I heard from this PA regarding her methodology of the band. I don't feel restriction and I am only maintaining my previous weight loss. Please tell it like it is because maybe I am doing something wrong and not "working" with the 1 cc I have in my band. Thanks!

I think what she meant was, because you have so little in your band the weight you lost was because of your willpower not restriction, That's not at all saying you were wrong to get the band- it's hard to be banded without restriction and she was likely just complementing you for losing despite it.

Restriction with the band is:

-Only eating a cup of food or less, and that's enough

-going 4-5 hours between meals without being hungry

-losing weight

I am guessing, with only 1cc in your band, you aren't experiencing the first two yet. That's all the nutrionist was referring to,

You're not doing anything wrong at all- just hang in there until you do have restriction :)

Not knowing everything that was said I am going out on a limb here...

I was banded a week before you and when I went for a fill one of the questions I was asked was about eating soft foods. I think the idea behind the question is to make sure we are eating band appropriate foods at this time since some soft foods, like ice cream, are high in calories. My guess is that the PA meant a balance of good foods and restriction and not restriction alone. We do still need to make healthier food choices, remember it's just a tool.

What did that PA weight, 87lbs? The other two replys might be right, but I travel a different road. When they haven't been there they don't understand. Most of us do lose on our own during preop time, but our motivation is excitement based. It is just a tool, but it works on many things at once. If we eat in the order we should, Protein first, we get what we need and don't have room for the bad stuff. It also helps with the mindless eatiing because food can become just fuel and not our comfort. I am able to eat most of the things they say we shouldn't be able to. And there are many that I just can't eat. A slice of pizza goes down fine, but I can't eat a hard boiled egg.

I got this because I suck at diets and I don't want to be on one the rest of my life. My band alows me to eat most of the things I want but only a little of it gives me what I need. You will learn what you can't eat and you will learn not to go to far.

Just because she works in that office she might not have a true understanding of our reasons for this. Many docs now put in a small fill during surgery (mine did) and pace out the fills slowly. This is a lifestyle change and you aren't doing anything wrong. You are right about what needs to happen in order for you to feel you made the right choice. I take it you didn't get a fill, you may need to speak to your doc. Good Luck.

What did that PA weight' date=' 87lbs? The other two replys might be right, but I travel a different road. When they haven't been there they don't understand. Most of us do lose on our own during preop time, but our motivation is excitement based. It is just a tool, but it works on many things at once. If we eat in the order we should, Protein first, we get what we need and don't have room for the bad stuff. It also helps with the mindless eatiing because food can become just fuel and not our comfort. I am able to eat most of the things they say we shouldn't be able to. And there are many that I just can't eat. A slice of pizza goes down fine, but I can't eat a hard boiled egg.

I got this because I suck at diets and I don't want to be on one the rest of my life. My band alows me to eat most of the things I want but only a little of it gives me what I need. You will learn what you can't eat and you will learn not to go to far.

Just because she works in that office she might not have a true understanding of our reasons for this. Many docs now put in a small fill during surgery (mine did) and pace out the fills slowly. This is a lifestyle change and you aren't doing anything wrong. You are right about what needs to happen in order for you to feel you made the right choice. I take it you didn't get a fill, you may need to speak to your doc. Good Luck.[/quote']

I agree totally with u. That's what I got out of the post :)

Guys I was banded 4/20/12 and fluctuate between 193 and 199 pds. I have had only one "fill"' date=' 1 cc since I was banded. I had two appts for "fills" but the doctor would not fill my band because my allergies were acting up. I am a little discouraged. I initially went to lap band consult and weighed in at 217 pds. The day of surgery I weighed in at 199 pds.....I lost those 18 pds on my own. So today when I went to my visit the PA told me that I want to achieve weight loss due to better eating habits and NOT because of RESTRICTION,...........I am somewhat confused!!!!!! I thought the point of having the freaking band placed is to cause satiety due to restriction along with better eating habits..........maybe I didn't get the memo..........if that was the case then I should have went to a nutritionist and never got banded. I really need feedback here becuase I still consider myself a NEWBIE. I am not trying to be negative whatsoever I just didn't like what I heard from this PA regarding her methodology of the band. I don't feel restriction and I am only maintaining my previous weight loss. Please tell it like it is because maybe I am doing something wrong and not "working" with the 1 cc I have in my band. Thanks! [/quote']

Sounds like the PA is not really sure of what the purpose is. Sure healthy choices is one of the ideas but feeling full and being restricted is the "Tool" everyone refers to. We are overweight not stupid. Don't get discouraged girlie it will all come together, and great job keeping the weight off. That's surely an accomplishment!!! Hang in there. I am 3 weeks out and an looking forward to my first fill. Keep us posted!! :)

Yes to the last 2 posts. I have even been discouraged here on the boards because people who have restriction I

I'm not sure what to tell ya but good luck n prayers r with you.

I went today for my first fill n have lost 11 lbs since my 2 week check up the dr put in 3cc but way to much so he took out 2cc. He said my band unfilled was giving me some restriction n I might not need much more, u may b in similar situation. (hope I don't need much it hurt like something) my surgery was 5/18 n so far I'm down 33 lbs. good luck again n keep us updated.

Sorry, I will continue. I think some people who have already achieved restriction forget what its like and why we got banded in the first place. I knew that food did not have the proper place in my life and that is why I got the band...I never felt full! You are not wrong to want what you paid for...restriction. it is even more difficult to stay positive when you are not seeing results. Do you only have to see that person???

Thank you guys for all of your input. I only have two PA's available to me and they r both new to the facility that I receive my fills. Both PA's have an extensive bariatric background according to the one I saw........mind u this particular PA is not banded and the hefer is my size. I almost felt like telling her to apply the lap band diet to herself because she could also afford to lose a few. From the get go this person was VERY condescending because she saw that I had mentioned reflux at my last appt.and gave me the lecture from hell w/o letting me get one word in edgewise. What the broad did not know is that I have had freaking reflux prior to surgery and at my last visit the NP and I were trying to figure out if my excess mucous was allergy related or true reflux. ( I chew every bit to mush and I wait one minute or more between bites.) Then she suggested to remove the 1 cc I have in my band........I told her if that is what she felt is medically necessary to narrow my problem down then by all means do it............and of course she didn't take any one cc out because she was being facetious. I can take the heat and I am not one to BS but I am truly baffled about my last appointment. Hopefully, I can get a fill at my next appt. Thanks guys for your support!

I think you need to find another PA. They "stink" as far as bedside manner and professionalism.. I am to goal and nobody in the office where I had my surgery treated me or talked to me in that way. I believe I would have gone right to the top and complained in person and in writing and then moved on to another facility. I never had a fill and am to goal and if I ever felt that I needed to get a fill, I would not think twice about going back to my surgeon. They were very supportive especially when they said I was doing so good with no fills that it was my choice if I wanted to do fills or not and I chose not to. I still get stuck occasionally because of too big of a bite or eating too fast but it is my constant reminder to not go back to my old eating habits. Good luck and talk to whoever is in charge and get them to see that this is not what YOU paid for with the surgery. Good luck and keep the faith.

Could she have meant that before restriction you will only loose by restricting your food intake by willpower?

I think you need a fill. The point of the band is to get fills if you are'nt full on 3 oz off Protein and some veggies for 5 hours. My PA is a bit of a drill sargent but it's more about keeping me honest than being mean spirited.

How is your exercise plan? Most of us need to exercise. My doctor says min. of 30, 7 days a week.

Are you weighing your Protein. I am at restriciton but still measure. You will serve youself too much if don't.

The band is doing nothing for you right now. You need fills to get help. It took me 6 months of fills to get restriction so I feel your pain.

Both PA's have an extensive bariatric background according to the one I saw........mind u this particular PA is not banded and the hefer is my size. I almost felt like telling her to apply the lap band diet to herself because she could also afford to lose a few. From the get go this person was VERY condescending because she saw that I had mentioned reflux at my last appt.and gave me the lecture from hell w/o letting me get one word in edgewise

This sucks! I think I would say something to her if you are unfortunate enough to have to deal with her again. Many times PA's have a much better bedside manner than doctors and are able to spend more time with patients. It doesn't sound like she even takes the time to listen/read about each patient. Please report her!!!!

I feel like you wrote this for me. I just got on here to tell my tale. I started at 6 months prior to surgery at 235. When I was approved and finalized, I weighed 232. Had a few great last gorges and went into surgery at 239. Of course they have me at 232. I went to my first post op with no fill, and was read the riot act for not following the diet, but she did give me a .3 cc fill. Lost 9 pounds that month, but have NEVER felt restriction EVER. She said she wouldn't fill me because I didn't NEED a fill. Went this time, and lost 3 pounds. She said she wouldn't fill me because I didn't DESERVE a fill!!! I am dead serious!

She picked apart everything I ate. According to her, you eat your portion and stop. If your stomach is growling, that is not HUNGER that is food MOVING THROUGH YOUR SYSTEM. Told me to quit thinking like a fat person and start thinking like a skinny person. I told her that if I went to a restaurant, I feel less deprived ordering a hamburger without a bun than a broiled chicken breast. She said DEPRIVED????? Do you want to be fat or skinny?

So she says I should eat what I am supposed to, and nothing more, and never cheat. But I can eat ANYTHING at ANY TIME and have NEVER had restriction, so I think I need a fill. If I could eat my portion sizes and never cheat, why would I need the surgery

I really thought when I had this surgery that I would be eating normal food, like a normal human being, and be rid of the broiled chicken breast and broiled fish and no this and no that. I figured I could eat almost like a normal person (minus the fried foods and really bad stuff), but eat 1/4th of what I normally did, and be satisfied. But she said to me, well you should have told the doctor that you wanted the MAGIC PILL!!! She was so hard on me, I was almost in tears.

I started at 239, I now weigh 206, so I've lost 33 pounds. She said that's not nearly enough this far out. But she won't fill me. I am seriously thinking of asking for another PA to fill me. Is that even possible?

FRUSTRATED!!!

I feel like you wrote this for me. I just got on here to tell my tale. I started at 6 months prior to surgery at 235. When I was approved and finalized, I weighed 232. Had a few great last gorges and went into surgery at 239. Of course they have me at 232. I went to my first post op with no fill, and was read the riot act for not following the diet, but she did give me a .3 cc fill. Lost 9 pounds that month, but have NEVER felt restriction EVER. She said she wouldn't fill me because I didn't NEED a fill. Went this time, and lost 3 pounds. She said she wouldn't fill me because I didn't DESERVE a fill!!! I am dead serious!

She picked apart everything I ate. According to her, you eat your portion and stop. If your stomach is growling, that is not HUNGER that is food MOVING THROUGH YOUR SYSTEM. Told me to quit thinking like a fat person and start thinking like a skinny person. I told her that if I went to a restaurant, I feel less deprived ordering a hamburger without a bun than a broiled chicken breast. She said DEPRIVED????? Do you want to be fat or skinny?

So she says I should eat what I am supposed to, and nothing more, and never cheat. But I can eat ANYTHING at ANY TIME and have NEVER had restriction, so I think I need a fill. If I could eat my portion sizes and never cheat, why would I need the surgery

I really thought when I had this surgery that I would be eating normal food, like a normal human being, and be rid of the broiled chicken breast and broiled fish and no this and no that. I figured I could eat almost like a normal person (minus the fried foods and really bad stuff), but eat 1/4th of what I normally did, and be satisfied. But she said to me, well you should have told the doctor that you wanted the MAGIC PILL!!! She was so hard on me, I was almost in tears.

I started at 239, I now weigh 206, so I've lost 33 pounds. She said that's not nearly enough this far out. But she won't fill me. I am seriously thinking of asking for another PA to fill me. Is that even possible?

FRUSTRATED!!!

BEAT DOWN!!! You got one, but that chicken head needs one bad! You can't allow anyone to treat you that way. You are paying for a service, which should come with comman curtesy and human compassion. Everyone has to report to somebody and you should find out who is supposed to keep her in her cage. If this isn't just a fill center you should request to see the doc ASAP! You difinatly deserve that.

Some of what she said is true about the noisy tummy. I was told to eat the right portion taking my time. Wait 30 min. and if I was still turly hungry then have a string cheese or a little deli meat. There is a natural delay between your brain and the full/satisfied sensation, true even without the band. It's really kind of how we got overweight. By the time messages are received we have usually gone to far with the food.

You will get to restriction (if you can steal a fill), maybe. I don't have restriction like others talk about I just have a band with a mind of it's own. I can eat pizza, some breads, waffles; yet there are days when Protein drinks or even Water can bubble in my chest. Sometimes what I eat at lunch will not go down for dinner. Hard boiled eggs are not my friend, but an omlete is fine. Most mornings I am tight, don't think about eating until 2 when the DH starts fussing. This is a lifestyle change and you do have to change how you think. I love chicken and have kids menu fingers or share them with my DH. The small changes can really make a big difference. Use a bread or salad plate for your meals and NO refils. Drink your Water at least 30 min before eating and not with the meal. The most important thing is to learn to HEAR and understand what your body is telling you.

My meals are in a poolhall about 4 nights a week and I don't get a lot of choices so I share what hubby wants or some Soup if I'm lucky. We can't eat the amount we think we want and lose, we only need to eat the amount we need. Time will help you know what that amount is.

Good luck, but ya got to report that woman.