Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Totally Discouraged :(

I've been banded for 9 months and lost very little. What I have lost I've done by white knuckling it. I remember waking up from surgery and being ecstatically happy that I was finally going to conquer my weight problem. Im 9.5 in an 11cc band and I never feel content. I must have "head stuff" to work out but I seriously feel hungry. I start every day by working out drinking Water watching what I eat and by 4pm I'm off the wagon. How did you all lose the weight? How did the band help you? It's not helping me and I'm so bummed!!

if you're never content , have you gone in for a fill, or seen your Dr ? Are you following the rules of lap band eating ? Maybe talk to a nutritionist ? How many fills have you had ? These are all questions that you should be discussing with your lap band Dr. Ive had 6 fills in 6 months, finally hit restriction with the 6th fill, down 45 lbs by following the rules 95 % of the time. Make an appt with your Dr and hopefully you can get back on track. Good luck !

What exactly are the rules? I've heard 3 meals a day 2snacks and Protein first. I'm def guilty of eating on the run sometimes. I get my protein in every day. I'm a workout fiend and do it every single day either cross training in an hour long boot camp, walking 4-5 miles or hot yoga. The band is not stopping me from eating and I guess I thought it would! I'm not afraid to work hard (believe me the exercise thing was not me a few years ago). Maybe I expected too much? How are some people down 100 lbs from this? It feels to me like the same old will power story?? Help! I don't get it!

The only real "rules" that are consistant for the majority of Lap-Band doctors are:

-No more than 1/2 cup to 1 cup of food per meal. When the food is gone, you're done eating, hungry or not,

-60-80g of Protein are necessary daily

-No carbonated beverages

-Follow up with your doctor reglarly

-No drinking during meals

Other than that, every surgeon seems to have their own recommended diet and rules.

I would highly suggest logging your food for a week or two then taking the log to a nutrionist. This way they can see exactly what you're eating and advise you where changes are necessary for successful weight loss.

Also, because you didn't mention counting calories, it would also be helpful. Most people who don't count calories and aren't losing weight are shocked how much they're actually eating once they do start counting. Just a suggestion,

Best wishes

I agree with the above posts. My first visit was at the end of August & as of today I've lost 90 lbs. using my fitness pal & having friends on there has been very helpful. I'm 51 & have been up & down forever so I know what works for me, but each of us is unique. For instance, I must have high Protein, lower fat, very few carbs & as little sugar as possible. One of my sister's (normal weight - no wls) needs lots of fruit & complex carbs. We're all different. Also, since you're exercising so much (good for you) sometimes you need to adjust your intake up or down. Finally, for me it is necessary to shake up my calorie level one or two days a month so I don't get stuck at the same level. All the best! I am a believer.

The only real "rules" that are consistant for the majority of Lap-Band doctors are:

-No more than 1/2 cup to 1 cup of food per meal. When the food is gone, you're done eating, hungry or not,

-60-80g of Protein are necessary daily

-No carbonated beverages

-Follow up with your doctor reglarly

-No drinking during meals

Other than that, every surgeon seems to have their own recommended diet and rules.

I would highly suggest logging your food for a week or two then taking the log to a nutrionist. This way they can see exactly what you're eating and advise you where changes are necessary for successful weight loss.

Also, because you didn't mention counting calories, it would also be helpful. Most people who don't count calories and aren't losing weight are shocked how much they're actually eating once they do start counting. Just a suggestion,

Best wishes

I agree with Mis I know counting calories is a pain but if u arent losing weight what choice do u have, how do u know u are creating a defecit in your calories eaten and burned if u arent counting them. Your lack od restriction needs to be investigated, I certainly would go back to the surgeon and get your band checked out, it may be u have a small slow leak, your band may have come undone.. rare but possible, you may not have as much fill as u think u have, could be any number of reasons, there are a very small group of people who never feel much restriction at all however much fill they have, but u need to discount all the other problems before your sirgeon can decide if this is your issue .. good luck with it ...

Thanks everyone. I do have some restriction but I'm still waiting for everything to click! I'm counting calories I joined weight watchers ...again....but I know i am still eating way too much. I guess I thought this was a magic pill?? I thought I would not be ABLE to overeat or I would be able to control my eating better with the band??

Is everyone that is successful trying SO hard? I thought it would be more natural once I was banded??

I am so sorry you are feeling discouraged. Are you eating processed foods? The reason I ask is because processed foods will always slide right down because it already has gone through a phase of digestion it will not stay in your pouch. Take a look at your diet are you really not satisfied after eating some skinless chicken breast, vegetables and sweet potatoes for example? For the first year I battled with head hunger I kept telling myself I was really hungry but I wasn't I just wanted to eat. But please keep on going in the right direction no matter what your scale says doing the opposite will only cause weight gain and you already know that.

I think you need to start from scratch .if u thought this would be a magic pill , and u dont know the Basic band rules, u didn't get properly oriented or u were so excited u didn't hear when they they talked about those things.so my suggestion is to

1.start from post op liquids and work ur way back up.

2.u said u get ur Protein in but are u eating it FIRST !?eat it protein FIRST !

3.eat ONE cup of food per meal.that means protein ,veggies and just a spoonful of carbs all need to fit in a 1 cup.

4.since u are crashing at 4pm make sure that meal specifically is protein only.

That would be my suggestions

Goodluck !

I agree with the above advice, I've been banded since 2006. I think it sounds like you are not quite at the right fill level. For me, when I first was banded I only lost 11 pounds in the first few months, and felt like I had totally failed at weight loss AGAIN :(. Then, the first year, I had lost 60 total.. with a lot of work which bummed me out. But then I put it into perspective.... 60 pounds IS a LOT, and to do it over a year's time, is appropriate weight loss. I wanted it fast because I want instant satisfaction, part of the reason I have a weight problem to begin with LOL... then I went in for another fill, and got to the right level where it was really working for me. I didn't constantly think about food, and my band told me when to stop eating. Not with pain or other "signals" but because I felt full with a small amount of food. I have lost a total of 160 pounds.

I do agree with the above post, if you are disillusioned, give yourself a "re-start". It will bump your metabolism and get your mindset back where it needs to be.