Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Allergan (Lap Band) Has Been Subponead By Fed Gov't

Has anyone heard about this? It seems that The Lap Band is having higher rates of complications and the Gov't has issued a subpoena for records. Here is the article:

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/allergan-lap-band-subpoena-27019/

I think all WLS surgeries have risks. Its best to get an excellent surgeon and do alot of research. Sometimes things happen but i got this band in order to help me live a more normal life. i will take the bad with the good because i feel that the good will outweigh the bad. i will keep an eye on my band and my self and follow the dr;s orders......all we can do at this point.

if you go to a doctor and he doesnt tell you the bad things then u should find someone else.

Wow...that's definitely a topic to keep following and watch the results of. Thanks for sharing it here.

Regardless of the results of the inquest are, I have zero regrets getting my band. It's saved my life. Literally.

That is insane to lie to people! The almighty $$ is more important than human life to these people. I have and allergan and will follow this, thanks for sharing!

I just read the original supeona stating their reasoning. After reading it, I'm not worried about this. They do not at all mention, or take into consideration, people who have caused Lap-Band issues by their own fault.

Considering the number of under-educated people with the band who walk around with their bands way too tight for months, don't follow up on fills or continue to eat like crap so they don't lose weight, or eat around the band, they are not looking at the big picture. If they're not taking error on the part of the patient into consideration their results are going to being horribly skewed and inaccurate.

I'm glad they did this because I believe certain people should not be allowed to have lapband. I had acid reflux before the band and now it's even worse even though I am eating better and taking medications. I think people with severe reflux should stay away from having something sqeezing their stomach......besides that I like the band because I believe I would be over 400 pounds without it....I'm just not sure if the long-term results of having sever GERD is worth the weight-loss however. I'm going in Friday for another un-fill hopefully it helps. I'm praying not to gain with the unfill. I have already bought Protein Shakes and other low calorie foods to not gain! LOL!

I just read the original supeona stating their reasoning. After reading it' date=' I'm not worried about this. They do not at all mention, or take into consideration, people who have caused Lap-Band issues by their own fault.

Considering the number of under-educated people with the band who walk around with their bands way too tight for months, don't follow up on fills or continue to eat like crap so they don't lose weight, or eat around the band, they are not looking at the big picture. If they're not taking error on the part of the patient into consideration their results are going to being horribly skewed and inaccurate.[/quote']

Just read it too... Completely agree.. Maybe irresponsible surgeons need be questioned too!

I'm glad they did this because I believe certain people should not be allowed to have lapband. I had acid reflux before the band and now it's even worse even though I am eating better and taking medications. I think people with severe reflux should stay away from having something sqeezing their stomach......besides that I like the band because I believe I would be over 400 pounds without it....I'm just not sure if the long-term results of having sever GERD is worth the weight-loss however. I'm going in Friday for another un-fill hopefully it helps. I'm praying not to gain with the unfill. I have already bought Protein shakes and other low calorie foods to not gain! LOL!

I had severe acid reflux for 12 years prior to being banded. OTC meds had quit working for me, so I was on a very expensive prescription medication for it. That medication was one of the first I was able to eliminate after being banded. I haven't had any reflux at all between the pre-surgery diet and my last fill. I'm a little bit too tight now and I've had a couple of nights where I've had to take OTC meds for heartburn/reflux. From everything I've read, if you're having reflux with the band, you're probably just too tight.

I had severe acid reflux for 12 years prior to being banded. OTC meds had quit working for me, so I was on a very expensive prescription medication for it. That medication was one of the first I was able to eliminate after being banded. I haven't had any reflux at all between the pre-surgery diet and my last fill. I'm a little bit too tight now and I've had a couple of nights where I've had to take OTC meds for heartburn/reflux. From everything I've read, if you're having reflux with the band, you're probably just too tight.

That's good for you. My reflux went away for a long time after my surgery but came back after my last fill. I got an appointment this Friday to see what's going on. GERD is one of the listed complications from Lapband though. I just think it's weird that one of the benefits from the band is to reduce the amount of food intake but if you have GERD you may have to get unfills which cause weight gain in most. I am hoping I can fight the weight gain if I need another unfill. I think I have 4.5 or 5 cc's in my 10cc band after my unfill in December.

I agree. There will be pros and cons to any procedure. As we all know, with the lap band - it can be difficult to adjust to if you do not change your eating habits. The lapband is more difficult for those that love to eat vs. those that just make bad and/or lazy food choices.

By far the surgeon who did mine should not be allowed to band anyone from what ive experianced myself and what ive heard from others banded by him ridiculous

By far the surgeon who did mine should not be allowed to band anyone from what ive experianced myself and what ive heard from others banded by him ridiculous

I've always said you need to thoroughly vet your surgeon -- not just for lapband, but for any procedure that is not an emergency. Surgery is definitely NOT a place to bargain hunt.

What happen?

My parents who are both banded did research him for six montjs he was a colleage of the doc who did their bands ... Complications from others werent heard of till after i was banded and started meeting ppl who had been banded by him.. Ive had 3 port revisions and it is now flippef again and to top it off it was sideways in september when i got a fill they were unaware my hose had a kink and in march whilr exercising i felt it flip back and there was saline stuck in th kink and it went up into my band and made me so tight nothing would go threw ive been fightin to get healthy ever sincd.. Needless to say i dont see him anymore i see dr malley in kc now,and he has offered to fix my band but my insurance wony cover it

My parents who are both banded did research him for six montjs he was a colleage of the doc who did their bands ... Complications from others werent heard of till after i was banded and started meeting ppl who had been banded by him.. Ive had 3 port revisions and it is now flippef again and to top it off it was sideways in september when i got a fill they were unaware my hose had a kink and in march whilr exercising i felt it flip back and there was saline stuck in th kink and it went up into my band and made me so tight nothing would go threw ive been fightin to get healthy ever sincd.. Needless to say i dont see him anymore i see dr malley in kc now,and he has offered to fix my band but my insurance wony cover it

Wow I am so sorry to hear that! I wish you the best of luck.