Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got banded 7th Jan, got restriction fron 16th May, have lost 52lbs ... but my hair has started shedding, I notice when brushing or showering. Luckily I have quite thick hair.

I dont eat much at all and still puke 'the slime' up a lot. I am losing 1-2lbs a week. I would say my diet is pretty balanced.

Any ideas whats causing this??

Stephanie

Are you getting enough Protein? Someone mentioned on another thread that Biotin is good for hair, nails and skin. I am going to try that, with my doctor's permission of course, because I've noticed I'm shedding more than usual.

I went to the dermatologist when I started loosing hair. I too was lucky to start will a thick head of hair. He said your body goes into kind of a shock from rapid weight loss. He said it would stop, and it did. My hairloss started about 4 months post op and lasted until about 6 months post op.

this happened to me after surgery and unfortunately its normal....there are several reasons your hair can begin to shed and i had almost every reason (ie, recent surgery, rapid weight loss and high Protein diet are just a few reasons) yes the Biotin works wonders as long as you take it faithfully.

Yes, this is very common and is 'temporary'. Your body is going through some major changes, like a 'shock'. You need to make sure you are getting enough of Protein daily. Oh, Biotin pills cannot hurt to take. I take them and I am not banded yet I want to try and combat it just in case it happens. Besides, Biotin is very good for your skin and nails, just as for your hair. I take a dosage of 2500 once a day with my other Multivitamins. I have noticed I am 'shedding' less...

Best of luck, oh... and don't stress about it too much that is not good!

Yes, totally normal. I am however concerned that you are PBing a lot. If you can not comfortably eat 3 oz of solid Protein and veggies you are too tight. Too tight can lead to band failures like slipping. Even if it means loosing slower it would be better to get a small unfill than to chance band slipping.

Make sure that you are eating Protein 60-70g a day. Also take a Vitamin called biotin...its for Hair growth. It should slow down and eventually stop the loss. Also once you get to your goal weight and are just maintaining it should stop too. Congrats on the awesome weight loss!!!