Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pls compare Lap Band surgery with Gall Bladder surgery

Everyone

I'm no stranger to surgery - had my gall bladder out, umbilical hernia repair, D&C, full open hysterectomy - I think I know what to expect after surgery.

However, for almost all of the above surgeries, I needed longer than the usual time to recover enough to go back to work. I'm a computer programmer so sit at a desk for 8-10 hours a day, bracketed by a 30-45 minute commute each way.

My gall bladder was a laprascopic surgery, and the surgeon told me I would be fine to go back after a week - I went back to work after that week, and had to come home at noon, then had to take the rest of the week off as vacation time because I was still recovering (and hadn't filed a disability claim). I was able to go back after TWO weeks with no problem. I did make a mistake in not filing a disability claim even though I was only supposed to be out for a week - I won't make that mistake again!

Similar thing with my hysterectomy - was told by surgeon 6 weeks, but when she saw me at 6 weeks to clear me to go back, it was obvious to her I needed more time to recover - ended up going back to work after 8 weeks. At least this time i had filed a disability claim, so extending the time wasn't a problem.

I've learned my lesson about the disability, and will be filing a claim for my lap band surgery. But once again, the surgeon is telling me i'll be fine to go back after a week. I've told her about my prior difficulties, and I think she will go along with me on saying that I need 2 weeks out of the office before going back (though I've only emailed her and haven't discussed this in person with her yet).

So my question to everyone is - how would you compare surgery and recovery for lap band to your gall bladder surgery and recovery? I'm expecting i'll need 2 weeks, the same as my gall bladder surgery.

Can those of you who have had BOTH surgeries please comment on your experiences?

Thanks for your help!!

I had gallbladder surgery and between durabond and steri-strips I didn't have one staple or stitch. I think it made for a fast recovery because I was up and around the next day. I pampered myself for a day or two just to be on the safe side, but aside from that I had a same day surgery. I can remember the days when they had to cut you wide open for gallbladder surgery and it was quite a large scar. I only hope lap banding goes as good. I guess they use staples for that. Anyone have the surgery and they used durabond and steri-strips in place of the staples? Just curious. Especially if you went to Mexico...what did they use. I know everyone didn't return to Mexico a week later to get staples out.

My gallbladder was easier for some reason, maybe because they were taking things out not putting them in. But procedure wise everything was pretty much the same.

My gallbladdery surgery recovery was much harder than my lapband surgery. I ended up back in the hospital after my gb surgery with a staff infection...kept me out of work for 3 weeks. I was back to work after 3 days with my lapband surgery and never looked back.

I had my lapband out July 12, and my gallbladder out September 2. I had a tough time with the band surgery - was out of school for the summer, so can't comment on specific time off - but no way would I have been ready to go back one week later. I'd say a good 10 days was needed........

My gallbladder surgery was 10 days out of work. I found I needed more of the pain pills the dr prescribed for the gallbladder surgery than I needed with the band surgery - no one can explain why/or predict how or why we respond to surgery.

Good luck!

I think the gall bladder was worse. I felt great after 2 or 3 days with the band and with my gall bladder I was in pain and really uncomfortable for 8 or 10 days. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that it was my 2nd surgery in 6 months? I'm not sure, but my gallbladder was definatly harder for me. ~Mandy

For me the gall bladder was much worse than the band. I was back in classes a week after banding and riding horses two weeks later.

With my gall bladder I was out much longer. I think I was out of work two weeks, but I was still miserable a month after.

I was much younger with my Gall Bladder. I was only out a week. I was told that I should only be out a week with my Lap Band, however, I took two weeks off. I ended up having an alergic reaction to the glue and that was awful. I am a nurse and I was working the floor/unit at the time. It was physically demanding. Don't worry , everything will be well. My surgeon likes his patients to get right back to work after a week. It is suppose to help keep your mind off of being on a luquid diet at first and the excersize is good for recovery. Our orthopedic patients heal faster if they are up and moving around.

I am confused................. Is it necessary to have your gall bladder taken out when you have had WLS? You are all making me very nervous.

Josephine

I have been suffering with my gall bladder for 18 months, but because I didn't have stones the doctors kept telling me my gall bladder was fine and didn't need to come out. My issues were not band related, but it is common for people to need the gallbladder out after weightloss or a major diet change, WLS or not. My MIL for example had to have her's removed after doing a 12 week opti-fast type diet. ~Mandy

I just might sail right through the band :confused: My gallbladder surgery was a piece of cake, but perhaps people who have had their chest cracked open for surgery think anything less is a great surgery. In all seriousness, my gallbladder, for whatever reason was the easiest surgery I've ever had. I was up and around and testing the waters after sleeping for about 8 hours. My cat disappeared that day and I remember going out to look around for him that evening in the car...which was really a no no. Now I'll probably get the band and be the biggest crybaby you ever say.

The old myths about Gall Bladder removal is fat, 40, and fertile. What I mean by this is that the world of healthcare use to believe that, women, pregnancy, being overweigth, and approx 40 yo were all predictors of haveing Gall Bladder problems. As for it being related to WLS, in a way, as stated above, any major diet change and major weight loss can cause problems with the Gall Bladder. Even if you did not have WLS and went on a succesful diet, you would probably have the same outcome. I have known people that did not have probblems even years after WLS.

Hi,

I had my gall bladder out 2 yrs ago (Lap) and I was just banded on 3/3 and I am going back to work on Monday. I can honestly say that the gall bladder surgery was much worse than the band. I was out for 2 wks after that one and still would have liked to have more time. The pain was worse with gall bladder and lasted awhile. Right now I can say that the only "soreness" I have is where the port is located. I was off pain meds with the band after 2 days and it was like a week with my gall bladder.