Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining Weight On My Preop Diet!!?? Help

I am was 280 a week ago and maintained that eating a lot of junk and Pasta. Now I am 286!! I feel bloated and gross and I have gained weight despite starting my preop diet!

I am worried I am doing it wrong.

I am having:

8am: 1/3 a cup of dry oatmeal for Breakfast with 1/2 cup skim milk and a splenda

~10am: 1 cup oikos greek yogurt (usually with a fruit on the bottom)

1pm: premade salad from my grocery store that says it is under 300 calories. I have been switching between santa fe salad (1oz chicken 1 oz corn/black Beans, and like a few tortilla crunchy things) and chicken caeasar (2oz chicken, 1 oz cheese) They do come with 1 oz of creamy ish dressing each, but the nutrition label says the calories (210-280 depending on the salad)

4pm: 1 skim milk string cheese

8pm: 8 oz of talapia or swai fish fliet and as much vegetables as I want. The other night I made collard greens with no added salt chicken broth and a small amount of olive oil and ate the whole pound. And before that I was grilling eggplant and zucchini on the grill or defrosting (with just water) brussel sprouts.

I usually have a glass of skim milk somewhere in there too.

I would guess this is around 150-350 calories per meal which is less than 2000 calories.

I thought this would be a good diet!! but my body is fighting it!!! Help me figure out where I'm going wrong!!! I don't want my liver to be fatty/big when I have my surgery in 2 weeks.

My hormones are not telling me to bloat right now, so what do you think is the cause? What was your preop-diet? DId you gain weight?

CRAZY!

Make sure you are weighing and measuring everything. Try tracking it using Myfitnesspal.com and see where you are at.

Google "Sugar Busters Diet"....its great. Watch the salt and drink tons of Water. You can do this!

My preop diet is only 900 to 1000 calories.

Watching your fat and sugar grams is essential for success. What made the positive difference for me was the amount of exercise I was able to do.

I only had basic foods; salads with lean Protein, 1% milk, an egg in the morning. I stopped eating bread, and most everything else with carbs added into it.

I needed to loose 6 pounds to be at the weight the surgeon wanted me at to complete the surgery. I lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks, and was 6 pounds under what he required, just in case his scale varied significantly from mine at home!

I agree with others who have posted. Journal everything you put in your mouth, reduce the portions and number of calories you have daily, and get out there and exercise!

If others have done this, you can do it too!

Best wishes...

Many people (myself included) didn't eat 3-5 meals before the preop.if u were a "one meal and snack on junk all day"person and now ur eating all these scheduled meals, ur body just may be adjusting and holding on cuz it's not used to it.I'd suggest giving it a few more days until ur body realizes that this is the new way of eating .im sure u will start to drop lbs.

My pre-op diet was a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch.< /p>

A meal for dinner with 4 ounces of chicken or fish and a vegetable.

Doctors orders!

I was aloud low carb shakes for breakfast lunch and could eat sugar free Jello and broth low fat all I wanted no sugar no carbs. Then if I couldn't take it one meal a day with 3 oz very lean meat and two cups of certain veggies. Oh and for a treat sugar free pop sickles. I lost 23 lbs and my liver looked great he said. But every doctor is different. Your lucky you can eat more. Good luck! I'm sure it will all play out. Then after the band is in place liquid only omg I'm starving!!!!!!!! But I can not fail I'm nit messing anything up! I go tomorrow to hopefully get out on mushies.

Uh!! So frustrating! Kind of the same thing happened to me. Pre-op shakes, bars and veggies only. I lost weight really slowly (still have 2 days left), and it is so frustrating. LIke you, I was eating a good 1000 calories less than I was before. It does not make sense to me at all. I still don't understand it, and all I can say is, I share your frustration with this. I came to the conclusion that at some point my body would start letting go of the pounds, and it has, just not as quickly as it has for others, and not as quickly as I'd like it to. Gaining weight is more confusing! So strange. Maybe you can ask your doctor what he/she thinks....Good luck. Even if you don't drop pounds, you are doing something good for your body and I'm guessing you will start to feel the benefits soon.

I would recommend having a Protein based breakfast and cutting out the snack. You are basically eating two breakfasts. For breakfast I would recommend Greek yogurt (with or with out fruit), with half a scoop of vanilla whey isolate Protein Powder (I add splendra since Greek yogurt is sour). For lunch and dinner have 3-4 oz of solid protein and low fat/cal veggies. I think your lunch protein is too low and your dinner protein is too high.

My pre opt diet is only liquids. I'm only on day 2 so I don't know of I have lost anything yet, but I feel really bloated and sick. Very nauseous and bad headaches. I'm maybe getting in 500 or 600 calories.

I was only on a liquid diet for two days before surgery. Did anyone else have to do a "bowel prep?" That wasn't pleasant, to say the least! Because of my schedule and and my surgeon's I only had a weeks notice before surgery. Luckily I didn't have to lose weight for my liver. When I found out I was having surgery, I did go a bit CRAZY eating....I'm not lying! :P

I agree that you are eating too many calories- I aimed for approx 1200-1400 pre-op and tried to eat less processed stuff. Also, you want to do low-fat, so I would try to eat basic, lean items without added sauces or oils. It sounds like you are eating the Safeway pre-packed salads, and those do not have enough protein- buy extra meat to add to them if you need to or just find something else entirely- some stores have the salad bar where you're in control of how much of what goes on.

You want to aim for 60g+ Protein per day (or body weight x 0.3 to get total protein). I didn't see you saying how much Water you are drinking, but this is important too- try to get 60oz or more per day.