Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, So... This Makes No Sense...

I went in on Friday for a visit, with the hope of getting a fill. Prior to my visit, I was at 7.5cc. I was feeling restriction only when I ate certain foods, but was still hungry during the day, and pretty much being able to eat the same size portions as prior to surgery. I went in and explained all this, but the NP looked at me like I was nuts and asked why I thought I should have a fill. Mind you, I have gone from 218 to 203 since my surgery in December. I told her I work out 3-4 times a week, and other than my Water intake, I am floowing my program, but not seeing any weight loss in a few weeks. She agreed to give me .5cc and acted like this would be "it" for me, no more fills. Has anyone else experienced this? Shouldn't it make sense that if I am not losing, I should maybe have more restriction? Or am I wrong here?

If you're still hungry during the day, and still able to big portions like before surgery, then yes I'd say you definitely need a fill.

You're not in the wrong at all, the NP is. No one can tell you that you "should" have more restriction. Everyone's body anatomy is different and you shouldn't be questioned for simply wanting a fill so your band works as it should- with restriction.

At your next visit, I would make an appointment with your surgeon, not an NP. Be sure to tell the surgeon exactly what happened and see his reaction. I suspect he won't be pleased with the NP but he needs to know.

Best wishes.

Guess my question is how big is your band 10 or 14 ??? I can not even imagine 8 in a 10cc for myself ....It's about stopping when you are not hungry. I would expect a bigger loss then yours in 6 months. Wondering what you are eating protien or sliders.?? I would think you should talk to surgeon . But if you are at 8cc and have a 10 I would be like whoa with the NP.

The band was designed to assist with Portion Control, but for me, some of that portion control had to come from me. I had to wait 14 weeks for my first fill, and I still use drinking my free fluids to help stave off hunger. Just because you can still eat regular sized portions does not mean that you should.

No one but you really knows how you are feeling, and through experience know what you believe to be the best course of action, meaning having an additional fill. I am a strong advocate for each patient taking an active role in their treatment planning and having a say in the course of their treatment.

I agree with others that you should have an appointment with the surgeon next time, and discuss your treatment plan with them.

Good luck!

I agree with the above posters, this is about you and your band and your fills, not what some NP thinks you should have ... My doctor asks me if i need a fill as they accept the fact that with my band i am my own expert.

Do not accept the ' well its usual, or its not normal etc those sort of statements ignore the fact that some people just dont fit into their neat little boxes ..

I would ask them to let you have their criteria for fills if u arent meeting it and see ... if its just how they feel on the day then its doing u no good at all.. good luck with this, fills are one of the most essential parts to be sucessful with a lapband so dont give up and be strong :)

I did not get restiction until 10.6 in a 11 CC band. I measure my food so even though I wanted more food I was'nt eating it. Each person is different.

FYi some offices have NP doing fills. I haven't seen my surgeon since about a month out.

My NP would ask "If you measure out your food; can you go 4-5 hours before you are hungry again?" If the answer was no than I would get a fill. As I got closer to restriction she added "As you get close to finishing your portion do you get a feeling of satiation?"

If you are exercising 3 -4 times a week you need to add more sessions. My doctor wants at least 30 minutes daily.

I know my doctor is cautious with fills because if you get too tight, then you can end up with acid reflux, vomiting, a slip, or just not get proper nutrition. They want you to be able to eat properly, just not as much, but the band is not going to do it all. I've realized now, 2 1/2 years later, that I was not following the rules in eating only a half cup and stopping like I was supposed to. They want you to stop at the half cup so you don't stretch your pouch (like I did). And then set back, because it still takes about 20 mintues for your brain to realize you're full, and see if you get that feeling after stopping eating for a while. If you do, then you're good, if not or if you're hungry an hour later, then you might need a little fill.

So, I think your NP is being cautious based on your feedback. Just saying "I'm hungry" is not good enough. They want to have a comfortable feeling that you are not just relying on the band to do everything, because it won't. Sad to say, lapband is a lifetime assisted diet, and it's not as easy as people think.