Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes

Do you count Protein Shakes as one of your 3 meals per day or can they be supplemental to them if needed?

My doctor told me yesterday at my 7 day post op visit to never drink anything with calories again except for milk. I told her I see all the time on here that people continue to use Protein shakes as meals and she didnt see that as a good option because the whole point of the band is to keep food in your stomach longer and liquid runs through.

At the same time though, I am only getting in about 550 calories a day and I worry I will plateau because my body thinks its starving so then I think, man, maybe I should add a Protein shake as a supplement? How weird to think about actually needing to add more calories to my diet! Lol.

Do you count Protein Shakes as one of your 3 meals per day or can they be supplemental to them if needed?

i count mine as extra..

My nutritionist said not to have a shake that is more that 150 calories or more that 15 g Protein. I drink Muscle Milk Light its only 100 calories 3 g carbs and 15 g protein. Its convenient and easy to carry. I love this product!!!! :D

I drink one every morning, on my drive to work.

I then have a small snack, fruit or something at 9:30-10:00.

Which gets me to lunch.

SO basically the shake is my Breakfast.

I only have one on the weekend if I need extra Protein.

My doctor told me yesterday at my 7 day post op visit to never drink anything with calories again except for milk. I told her I see all the time on here that people continue to use Protein shakes as meals and she didnt see that as a good option because the whole point of the band is to keep food in your stomach longer and liquid runs through.

At the same time though' date=' I am only getting in about 550 calories a day and I worry I will plateau because my body thinks its starving so then I think, man, maybe I should add a Protein shake as a supplement? How weird to think about actually needing to add more calories to my diet! Lol.[/quote']

my doctor also said not to drink Protein Shakes after lap band. he also said that the Protein Shakes will just go right through . they advised me to eat meat first for protein then veggies at Las cabs. They gave me a small cup to use for potion size.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using LapBandTalk

I am too tight to eat Breakfast. Plus I am NOT a morning person. So I won't get up a half hour earlier to make eggs that I might not be able to get down. Lol.

So I drink a Protein drink for breakfast on my way to work. Around 9 or 10 I have a snack of fruit or Greek yogurt that holds me until lunch.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Protein drinks as a supplement or for breakfast. Just keep them low in calories, carbs, and sugar.

I have to drink Protein shakes since I'm only able to get in a small amount of meat and greens at each meal - the Protein shake has over 25g of protein! Much more than I can get from eating solids.. I don't do it for a meal replacement just mainly for the extra protein and vitamins! Also add some banana and Peanut Butter after my workout with spirulina ( which is 60% protein, amino acids, b12's potassium, Calcium, folic acid, and GLA - it's a super food basically! I love it!!)

I have to drink Protein Shakes since I'm only able to get in a small amount of meat and greens at each meal - the Protein Shake has over 25g of protein! Much more than I can get from eating solids.. I don't do it for a meal replacement just mainly for the extra Protein and vitamins! Also add some banana and Peanut Butter after my workout with spirulina ( which is 60% protein, amino acids, b12's potassium, Calcium, folic acid, and GLA - it's a super food basically! I love it!!)

its very similar to barley green, which i have once a day.

Do you count Protein shakes as one of your 3 meals per day or can they be supplemental to them if needed?

It really depends on your particular situation. Protein Shakes are best as Snacks in my experience, but you need to consult your doctor and a dietician.

I have to drink Protein Shakes since I'm only able to get in a small amount of meat and greens at each meal - the Protein shake has over 25g of protein! Much more than I can get from eating solids.. I don't do it for a Meal Replacement just mainly for the extra Protein and vitamins! Also add some banana and Peanut Butter after my workout with spirulina ( which is 60% protein, amino acids, b12's potassium, Calcium, folic acid, and GLA - it's a super food basically! I love it!!)

Agreed. It is especially difficult -- and vital -- to get those nutrients when cutting calories; otherwise we just crave and snack more...

I am NOT a morning person. So I won't get up a half hour earlier to make eggs that I might not be able to get down. Lol.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Protein drinks as a supplement or for Breakfast. Just keep them low in calories, carbs, and sugar.

Absolutely! I have a meal shake for breakfast which is less about protein (although it has about 10 grams) and more about carbs to fuel my body after fasting overnight, and that really gets me going. If I have 'breakfast food' I just feel sluggish all day!

Which gets me to lunch.

SO basically the shake is my breakfast.

I only have one on the weekend if I need extra protein.

I save the protein shakes for right after I exercise to recover, or as a filling snack midday. Much better than the alternatives!

My nutritionist said not to have a shake that is more that 150 calories or more that 15 g protein. I drink Muscle Milk Light its only 100 calories 3 g carbs and 15 g protein. Its convenient and easy to carry. I love this product!!!! :D

Super convenient! The stuff I used to grab on the go was not nearly as satisfying (chips, chocolate, etc.) Eating one cookie is fine; my problem is I rarely stop at one. :P

Which gets me to lunch.

SO basically the shake is my Breakfast.< /p>

I only have one on the weekend if I need extra Protein.

my psych doctor told me that if my family eats at 8pm and i get off of work at 630pm that its best that I either drink a Protein Drink or eat a Protein Bar as a replacement instead of eating at 8pm only to go to bed at 9pm...

my psych doctor told me that if my family eats at 8pm and i get off of work at 630pm that its best that I either drink a Protein drink or eat a Protein Bar as a replacement instead of eating at 8pm only to go to bed at 9pm...

Definitely! I don't sleep very well if I eat that close to bedtime. And your body tends to store that as fat since it doesn't need the energy while you sleep.< /p>

On the other hand, a Protein snack when you get home and then a small portion of a side dish could be light enough and allow you to still 'have dinner' with your family. :)

Thanks for all the responses. I'm a newbie, so it's interesting to see how something's work for some and different things for others.

Definitely! I don't sleep very well if I eat that close to bedtime. And your body tends to store that as fat since it doesn't need the energy while you sleep.< /p>

On the other hand, a Protein snack when you get home and then a small portion of a side dish could be light enough and allow you to still 'have dinner' with your family. :)

very true...i used to work until 730pm and so i would get home and it would be 8pm and i would go bed at 9pm...ive changed my shift to 630pm..and we tend to eat at 730pm and I wait to go to bed until 11pm...

I tend to consume about 1200-1600 calories...I'll have to wait a month to talk to the nutritionist to see if I'm eating too much...

Today I had half a cup of cottage cheese and a Protein shake for breakfast.

for lunch i had a 270 calorie lunch plus a 200 calorie protein bar

and I can't wait for dinner ... heh. I might have to have a few almonds...

if it gets too bad I'll have a tuna pouch for 80 calories.