Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Little Things Do I Need After Surgery?

Hey all!

Just have a question for those already banded. I am going shopping tomorrow for my post-surgery needs. I already have gas-ex (because everyone swears by it), but what other things made you more comfy after surgery? I will most likely set up camp in my room to be close to the bathroom. My bed sits high so not sure if thats a good thing or not. Please give me your thoughts on what worked and what didn't!

Thanks!

Misty

I found a heat pad very helpful and some sugar free candy/sweets etc to suck on if u are allowed :)

I am a little concerned that u say u will set up 'camp' in your room .. to be honest u need to start moving arolund as soon as u are able to, this not only helps with the gas but also prevents things like DVT from forming, so walking to the bathroom is a good thing :)

Some people return to work within the week some dont feel like it but we all recover at different rates so just do what u can as often as possible !

I agree with Cazzy...though some people say not to use heat, I did find a heating pad on my abdomen soothing. And, you need to be moving...walking around your house will not only help to avoid the possible DVT, but also will get everything inside "moving" again...which also means the gas which does cause some discomfort. I was given a series of foot and lower leg exercises that I had to do several times a day in addition to walking around the house.

If you have not already been provided with prescriptions for a liquid pain medication and something for relief from nausea, be certain to get them, and have them filled. I only took 2 doses of the prescription pain medicine, but did take several doses of liquid Tylenol for the pain, so that is another item I would put on your list to have on hand when you get home.

If you are taking any oral maintenance medications, such as blood pressure medication, you need to discuss with your doctor the availability of another form of the medication. I was able to temporarily change to a liquid form for several...if you take pills, you will need to either cut or crush them. That was the worst part of my post op experience...very bitter taste.

Post op, I really enjoyed SF popsicles. You may have a slight sore throat, so the SF hard candies or throat drops (ie Luden's) may be a good temporary choice.

Best wishes to you as you begin your journey!

The ones I highlighted in red would be things I bought again. I did not find any relief using GasX, so it is not on my list. The peppermint tea seemed to help with gas pains the first few days I drank it (I burnt myself out on it and stopped drinking at day three or four, gas pain started soon after).

Stage One:

- Peewee Pillowpet or small travel pillow to hold against stomach when getting up/down, in/out of car, walking around house, sleeping, etc.

- Lipton cup-a-soup Cream of chicken

- Soups that can be pureed and put through a sieve.

- Peppermint tea

- Protein powders or ready to drink shakes.

- 3 Protein mix shakers if using powder

- Yogurt without seeds or chunks. Only two or three cases = 8 to 12 yogurts.

- SF syrups

- Pillow "chair" to prop up in bed with

- food processor. I bought a Ninja Kitchen Pulse so I can get rid of some of my other appliances.

I found a heat pad very helpful and some sugar free candy/sweets etc to suck on if u are allowed :)

I am a little concerned that u say u will set up 'camp' in your room .. to be honest u need to start moving arolund as soon as u are able to, this not only helps with the gas but also prevents things like DVT from forming, so walking to the bathroom is a good thing :)

Some people return to work within the week some dont feel like it but we all recover at different rates so just do what u can as often as possible !

Thanks for replying and I know I will be moving around soon after, but so many people said that they slept so much for the first 2-3 days after I guess that's what I meant. I guess having things at bedside (other than meds and water) doesn't make much since anyway that way it will force me to get up and move!

1) Couch Pillow for the ride home to prevent the seat belt from hitting your incisions.

2) Liquid Tylenol-did'nt take any perscription pain killers once I got home- Look for store brand much cheaper.

3) Some premade Protein shakes-day 2 I was out and about but since you are on liquids you get hungry at odd times. Got ravenous and had to stop at Target for a protein shot because I could'nt wait the 30 minutes to get home to eat.

4) Stock for clear liquid stage- broth has less flavor. Don't bother with low salt versions they taste horrible.

5)Pacific Brand tomato/sweet red pepper smooth Soup.< /p>

6)Mrs. Dash no salt herb flavorings - Add to Stock and smooth Soups before heating adds a lot of flavor.

7)Hamilton Beach Personal Blender - Mixing container is a travel cup, excellent at blending ice for in Protein Shakes. $15 at Walmart and Target.

8) Unflavored Benefiber. You can add it to your liquids. Should help with Constipation. I buy large containers at costco still use it everyday.

9) Some people eat Jello. I think I had 1 mini container. I HATE jello.

10) When you can have sugar free pudding buy name brand. Store brands just did not taste as good (I am a cheapskate thus I bought store brand).

Wow, you guys are so detailed. Thank you so much, can't believe the big day is tomorrow!

Well today is the big day and I think I am prepared with supplies. A little nervous but glad to have support with this community...thanks to everyone and see you in bandland!

Well today is the big day and I think I am prepared with supplies. A little nervous but glad to have support with this community...thanks to everyone and see you in bandland!

Hope it went well! Are you feeling ok?

Hope everything went well! Curious to know how you are feeling, my surgery is the first week of July! And I'm nervous!

Wow - I never thought of some of the items in this list. I have surgery on 6/28. I will add this stuff to my list. Especially like the pillow and heating pad ideas...

And I am nervous too!!!

A heating pad, wedge pillow, and chapstick came in handy for me. I had major dry mouth/lips after surgery.

Definitely Chapstick! I haven't been banded yet, but I remember how dry my lips were after my laparoscopic gall bladder surgery.

Hey all, thanks for asking how I am! I am doing well considering. Still have some gas pains and just a little around my incisions. Taking my pain meds every 4 hours and gas-x and walking and moving around as much as possible. Excited for it to be over and that I am on my way to recovery!

YEAH MISWOO!!!!

:D When your feeling like it, post your surgery experience? So happy for you! Go get 'em, girl!