Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody Out There That Started 400+

No offense taken here by anything anyone said. I started with a BMI in "only" the obese range. Had the surgery for several reasons. Are some of those vanity related? Yep. Are some health related? Yep. We all have our own intensely personal reasons. Would I be annoyed/frustrated/couldn't always relate to people with much less to lose if i started at a much higher BMI? Quite possibly. I think I'm just a "free to be you and me" type of gal and thick-skinned to boot, so none of this offends me. I like the candid discussion and different view points and frankly just shake my head at some of the holier-than-thou comments.

Hey KRussell, first of all, CONGRATS!!! That is fantastic what you've done.

I have a feeling there are many out there who started where you are.

In college, I had a girlfriend who kept claiming to be fat, but only needed to lose 10 lbs. it frustrated me when by comparison I knew I was 110 lbs overweight. I think I judged her feeling she had lost persective... Yet to her, it was a big deal because the weight gain was enough to make her clothes not fit. I couldn't relate because I wear a lot of elastic... But also realized she had an eating disorder and challenges I couldn't relate to. Everyone has their own battles and it's important and a big deal to them.

Keep your head up and do TRY not to compare. Your journey is YOURS and it's important and valid and NOTHING should minimize your commitment and effort. You're awesome! Keep the faith!

Be so proud of yourself!!!! You're rockin' it! :D

Had the surgery April 2nd, this year. On that day I was 545lbs. I'm now 503lbs. Mostly diet, but now I gym 3 times a week and walk two miles, five times a week. just stay on task and do the right thing (and still remember it won't hurt to enjoy life.) and you'll be fine!

Well I was 355 when I started my journey after the liquid diet I weigh 334 now I see a lot of ppl getting the Lap band when they are already what we concider tiny. But you also have to take in to concideration a lot of those ppl have diabeties, hyper tension, and other health problems that loosing that 59 lbs would help. We all have different journeys this is meant to be a slow processes. All of you are beautiful and will reach our goals in due time. That's why we ate here to support each other. You will all Di so great!

there are many individuals who have to loose less than 100 pounds who are motivated to have their band surgery due to medical reasons, and not vanity.

i do not disagree with this statement at all. i can never know someone else's reasons and they can never really know mine. mine were probably 98% vanity though if i'm honest. i had no co-morbidities at all, no diabetes, no pain, no high blood pressure, no anything. it was just the fat and i was tired of trying to dress it and carry it through small spaces :P

i knew my statement might upset a few, but I really wanted to answer the OP's statement of

Sometimes I feel like not many people can relate to where im at because with 150 lbs down im just now sitting where they started :(

because I can relate to that.

it IS irritating that someone has the surgery, puts their little ticker up that says "40 pounds to lose" and they reach their goal in 4 months, then post "after 4 months, I made it to goal. I lost 40 pounds".

it doesn't matter what their reasons are...i'm glad they are at goal and all, but I cannot relate to them. I just can't. I have a huge hill in front of me...years before I get to the goal on the doctor's chart if i get there, and I can relate to the op. That's all I was really trying to say.

I don't want to belittle anyone else's efforts or say they didn't need this surgery when I don't know all of the reasons behind it. I want to support everyone else's triumphs, and i'm glad this place exists for that reason...we can all cheer each other on and support each other. .

But if some of us who had not just 100,but literally hundreds of pounds to lose were totally honest, we would say we can't relate to you skinny people who start your journey at 225 and even though we can't compare our journey to yours, it is indeed frustrating at times. That's just me being honest and my .02

.......and at the same time, i do recognize that it must be frustrating for you skinny people out there when us heftier people can lose 10 pounds by basically bending over or sneezing and it takes you 3 or 4 weeks to get that same 10 pounds off. :ph34r: :blink::rolleyes:

I had my band surgery for strictly for medical reasons. I needed to lose about 80 lbs, mission accomplilshed. I never had a problem with being "fat". I love myself no matter what I look like.

i do not disagree with this statement at all. i can never know someone else's reasons and they can never really know mine. mine were probably 98% vanity though if i'm honest. i had no co-morbidities at all, no diabetes, no pain, no high blood pressure, no anything. it was just the fat and i was tired of trying to dress it and carry it through small spaces :P

i knew my statement might upset a few, but I really wanted to answer the OP's statement of because I can relate to that.

it IS irritating that someone has the surgery, puts their little ticker up that says "40 pounds to lose" and they reach their goal in 4 months, then post "after 4 months, I made it to goal. I lost 40 pounds".

it doesn't matter what their reasons are...i'm glad they are at goal and all, but I cannot relate to them. I just can't. I have a huge hill in front of me...years before I get to the goal on the doctor's chart if i get there, and I can relate to the op. That's all I was really trying to say.

I don't want to belittle anyone else's efforts or say they didn't need this surgery when I don't know all of the reasons behind it. I want to support everyone else's triumphs, and i'm glad this place exists for that reason...we can all cheer each other on and support each other. .

But if some of us who had not just 100,but literally hundreds of pounds to lose were totally honest, we would say we can't relate to you skinny people who start your journey at 225 and even though we can't compare our journey to yours, it is indeed frustrating at times. That's just me being honest and my .02

Honesty is definitely to be valued, though I believe that empathy is a preferable value to cultivate...and I can definitely assure you that all things are relative. An individual's perspective can definitely get skewed. One definite truism I have learned through the course of my career is that all of us, to some degree, engage in "flawed thinking", which tends to be inaccurate. Raising one's awareness of those inaccuracies helps us to develop empathy for others.

Let me assure you, someone who weighs in at 200 pounds is definitely not "skinny". And for many who have less pounds to loose, it is more difficult to loose them.

For some, co-morbidities are just that; if the weight does not get lost, they will increase their chances to end up in an early grave...no vanity there. Perhaps they want to see children and/or grandchildren grow up, graduate from professional school...They are not primarily concerned about fitting into smaller spaces or the clothing they wear. The possibilities are just about endless for why they need to/want to loose weight...much likely more dire than your circumstances.

For someone who needs to loose 100 pounds, or whatever the number is, the journey can be as difficult and daunting as another's journey of more pounds, whatever the number is. You don't need to "relate" to those who weigh less, only have empathy, as we are all on our own unique yet similar journey.

Empathy...far more effective than honesty when used alone. My empathetic $.02...

Your mileage varies...Best wishes.

Ladies, I sincerely mean no disrespect but I truly believe the original poster who by the way appears to be new to the site was looking for some encouragement that she can find her way and that others know what she is going through. I don't think her intent was to spark a debate about the merits of why a particular person chose surgery. It sounds to me like she needed some positive uplifting and all we have here is a debate, a debate that can go on and on unless you agree to disagree and move on.

KRussell the original poster commented earlier about how she could barely bend over and tie her shoes. I can totally relate to that. Also, today for the first time in a very long time I walked up two flights of stairs in my office building. I was a little winded by the time I reached the top but I did it...and you know what it felt damn good. Even my arthritic

Everyone is different, everyone has their own circumstances. It's what makes us individuals. Without sounding like a politician I believe the site motto should be "Support your fellow Bandster through and through"

Jim, you are correct. My apologies for delving off into a debate.

the OP asked if anyone can relate to her situation and I can relate.

Thank you jim :) by far all I was lookin for was anyone who was still on this long journey who may be a little frustrated with where they are and trying to get on track and get to that goal I never ment for anyone to get snippy as if I was calling then out because they are smaller then me.. It was just a question I asked because I know most people my size opt for the bypass or the doc encourages it over the band I was JUST CURIOUS!

I understand any amount of weight can be hard to lose from ten pounds to three hundred I am just frustrated im almost six yrs in and still have a long way to go...

Plus Last I checked this is an open forum for discussion and questions

Had the surgery April 2nd, this year. On that day I was 545lbs. I'm now 503lbs. Mostly diet, but now I gym 3 times a week and walk two miles, five times a week. just stay on task and do the right thing (and still remember it won't hurt to enjoy life.) and you'll be fine!

I too am one of the heavier people on here. I was at 485 when I went for my consult this year. I started this process back in 2009 when I got tired of all the hassel with the insurance Company and then I got to the point where I was in April of this year..485 lbs !

My doctor told me in 2009 I was at 438 so he wanted me to lose 50 lbs in a month or two so that he would feel more confident doing my surgery. He also talked to me about the Fatty Liver disease and that scared me so Ive been working my Buttocks off to get the 50 lbs gone. Right now I sit at 448 and am soooo tired of Protein shakes which I have been doing 2 a day since April. I had been scheduled twice now for surgery, may the 23rd and then June 28th,l both have been postponed as I still havent got the 50 lbs gone, but I am sooo close!

So when you think that you are alone out here..you are not. We are probably not the majority but we still exist. I wonder to myself how I got this big..and then I look back on my life and realize that from the time I was a small child..I was doomed. I was never fed good nutritious food and learned lots and lots of bad eating habits. I can remember that my brother would work until Midnight and then get home at about 1:30 ish and would bring home pizza to me and my mother. We would get up and eat two or three pieces and fall right back off to sleep and at that time of the night..pizza is not something that you need to be midnight snacking on!! Soda and chocolate bars became my snack of choice and even though I was very active and must have walked about 10 miles a day just in the normal course of being a kid..I think that was the only thing that kep me from hitting the 300 and 400 lb mark earlier in my life!! I dont blame others as I was the one putting the food in my mouth, but I sure wish that my whole family had been more educated back in those days.

Fast forward, today 448 lbs and waiting to get in there and start day 1 of my new life :) We can do it..it will just take time and a whole lot of work on our behalf. My husband will take me to Wal mart and make me carry a 25 lbs bag of dog or cat food with me for a bit..lol He says that is what you carried everyday. When you think of it that way, kinda puts it in perpective doesnt it? I know that having gotten almost to 500 lbs..that by now I must have the strongest leg muscles in the whole USA..lol

Keep on trucking and remember that it takes time, determination and committment. It is never easy, but anything worthwhile is. :)

Since I am here...does anyone know where I can get TED anti embolism thigh high stocking for someone my

size? I see some on line but they dont really seem to be big enough!! :( Any help or direction would help loads..We are shooting for the 15th..so keep your toes and fingers crossed for me!!

I was 425, currently at 240... Feeling great. All the doctors tried to talk me out of a band and get the bypass... Very happy with my choices