Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know most Dr's say no carbonation but I was wondering if there is any bandsters here who still drink beer. I gave up soda but I have had a few beers on 2 different occasions and wanted to hear from anyone who has been banded for a while and is still able to drink beer or if anyone has had problems bc of this.

I've had beer although it's not my favorite. I still have mixed drinks on occasion and haven't found any issues. I think you can tell after the first one, if it's going to irritate you or not that day (at least I can). Don't know if there's such a thing as less carbonated beer?!

I've had beer although it's not my favorite. I still have mixed drinks on occasion and haven't found any issues. I think you can tell after the first one' date=' if it's going to irritate you or not that day (at least I can). Don't know if there's such a thing as less carbonated beer?![/quote']

What kind of mixed drinks do you like? I used to drink vodka/soda but now no soda. Just looking for some options. I think crystal light & vodka would be good, but obviously I won't be able to order that at a bar! Ha

I am wondering about alcohol after surgery too... I enjoy having an occasional drink! Love to have a glass of wine every now and then. Has anyone tried wine?

Ive had beer, cocktails, and wine with no problem- just watch put- your tolerance will be lower from eating less

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

I drink:-

white wine

white wine with soda

champagne

lite beer

mixed drinks

My usual drink is wine but sometimes I have one of the others on my list instead. You have to learn to listen to your body and what you can tolerate. Sometimes the champage has been a problem but if I remember to drink it away from mealtimes and sip it slowly then it is fine. If I am having a beer it is normally a local beer called Cascade light which is not very fizzy and 1 of those goes down fine.

I had a vodka cruiser last night and felt awful afterwards. I don't think it was the carbonation as it had hardly any, I think I drank it too fast , on an empty stomach! Once I had some food I felt much better.

Thanks guys. I haven't noticed any problems when I drink beer. Granted my tolerance was never high pre lapband so I can only have 2 or 3 over a long period of time and I try to take small sips.

I love wine but I only have it when someones over or I go out wine is pretty pricey out so I only have 1 or 2 Beer not so much a a mixed drink with juice is okay but sometimes nothing goes down and I say Okay not tonight and pass. I live in a community where Happy Hour is a regular event and I have needed to say NO .

I like rye and diet cokes, vodka & diet coke at the bar; crystal light works well but you're right, not at the bar!

I have beer pretty often. Sometimes it gives me the hiccups. Otherwise I take the calories into account. My surgeon is not against carbonation. He says the digestive tract is an open system, so in his opinion the carbonation won't harm the pouch, it just might cause discomfort before it escapes.

I drink beer usually on the weekends. I am a little over a year out from surgery. I went to PCB and drank beer everyday, 2 or 3, it did not bother me but I could not eat much at all. Probably because the beer bloated my stomach. I did loose 5 lbs while on vacation, I drank beer instead of eating. lol not good but it has never hurt me to have a few. I have to have them on a farely empty stomach or I can't drink many and it does hit u faster so be carefull.

I drink beer on a regular basis as well as Coke Zero. I have not stretched my pouch. I would never tell anyone to not follow doctor's orders but I do drink carbonated drinks. I was banded in 2007.