Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie!!! Help Me! ;)

Wow sounds like you have made several contacts already. Those problems you mentioned about your health are from being over weight. I hope that you do choose the lapband. For me it was a great idea. I know you will do great.

Thanks for the support!! What has been your experience with the band?

Hi j cash

I'm new to the lap band myself... I was banded in 5-11-2012.... I am 5'9 with a bmi of 42.... I did not have any health problem other than my knees and the bmi and I was approved thru my insurance.... I'm glad that I did the band and I choose the band because it had less complications than others... I'm trying to learn how to eat right as we all know the good stuff is bad for you and the stuff that is good for you ..I don't like... Go figure right... But slowly I'm gradually changing my taste buds for these things....I also was trying to prevent the high blood pressure/diabetes as I'm getting older

( close to 50) and I did MIT want to have to battle those conditions either..... I say go for it and good luck..I'm in STL so I can not help u with a doctor but if u ever come this way I can hook u up with the best doctor here.

Hi j cash

I'm new to the lap band myself... I was banded in 5-11-2012.... I am 5'9 with a bmi of 42.... I did not have any health problem other than my knees and the bmi and I was approved thru my insurance.... I'm glad that I did the band and I choose the band because it had less complications than others... I'm trying to learn how to eat right as we all know the good stuff is bad for you and the stuff that is good for you ..I don't like... Go figure right... But slowly I'm gradually changing my taste buds for these things....I also was trying to prevent the high blood pressure/diabetes as I'm getting older

( close to 50) and I did MIT want to have to battle those conditions either..... I say go for it and good luck..I'm in STL so I can not help u with a doctor but if u ever come this way I can hook u up with the best doctor here.

Thanks so much for the info!! How much weight have you lost? I wish you well on your journey!

Thanks everyone for your comments! I'm taking it all in. I've been on this site for some hours now and I'm seeing that it's not an easy decision to make and not Goin to be easy if or when I get it. But I'm sure I will learn more at the seminar..This site has a lot of info and I appreciate the support!

I am in Columbus Ohio

Tanieya did was your BMI over 40 and have much weight have you lost?

Yea my bmi was over 40 , and I lost 25 lbs.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Yea my bmi was over 40 ' date=' and I lost 25 lbs.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk[/quote']

Wow that's great!! I wish you well on your continued success!! Hopefully I'll be with you soon! :)

Hi jcash,

Congrats on your decision to get banded and take control of your weight and other issues. I have been banded over 5 years and I will be honest I had some issues over the years. I even experienced the dreadful slipped band and revision surgery a few months ago, but I will say I still love my band. I would not have lost 115lbs and surpassed my goal weight if it were not for my band. I fear losing it sometimes, but now I just take it one day at a time. You are making a good decision. The band is a tool and food will always be tempting, but with proper restriciton and good food choices you will succeed. Good Luck to you!

Like others, this band really is a tool. You should look into your relationship with food otherwise you will get the lapband and possibly be unhappy and overeat and throw up. It's a ton of work but it will be harder if you have no self control. I really stress an overeaters group or therapy then look into lapband.

Like others' date=' this band really is a tool. You should look into your relationship with food otherwise you will get the lapband and possibly be unhappy and overeat and throw up. It's a ton of work but it will be harder if you have no self control. I really stress an overeaters group or therapy then look into lapband.[/quote']

Yea after reading through this site that's what I'm learning that's it's a tool something that I'm in need of. However I say I lack self-control of food but I do not feel its to a point where I need therapy or Anythin and that's just my opnion because I know myself the best. I beleive my lack of self-control is combined with lack of motivation. But I feel that lap band will give me the restriction I need to get the weight off and keep it off. Thanks so much for your comment. What has been your experience with lap band? And did u also have the other procedure done too? Plicante? (sp) lol

Hi jcash' date='

Congrats on your decision to get banded and take control of your weight and other issues. I have been banded over 5 years and I will be honest I had some issues over the years. I even experienced the dreadful slipped band and revision surgery a few months ago, but I will say I still love my band. I would not have lost 115lbs and surpassed my goal weight if it were not for my band. I fear losing it sometimes, but now I just take it one day at a time. You are making a good decision. The band is a tool and food will always be tempting, but with proper restriciton and good food choices you will succeed. Good Luck to you![/quote']

Thanks so much!! Congrats on meeting your goal.. I hope that I'm able to qualify!

I also have United Health Care but I think it depends on each seperate policy.

The first time I called them they said I did not have bariatric surgery.

I spoke to my HR dept beccause I had already done 5 months of my 6 month diet and they switch insurance companies. HR informed me that the person was wrong and we did have coverage. So to make sure I called UHC back again and that person told me we did have coverage and read me all the criteria. Also the girl at my surgeons office called them and got the criteria too.

SO you just need to check with the insurance or have the doctors office check for you.

If you don't get the answer you want then check again. :)

Good luck making your decision I know it is a tough one, I almost changed my mind at the last minute.

So glad I didn't.

Yea after reading through this site that's what I'm learning that's it's a tool something that I'm in need of. However I say I lack self-control of food but I do not feel its to a point where I need therapy or Anythin and that's just my opnion because I know myself the best. I beleive my lack of self-control is combined with lack of motivation. But I feel that lap band will give me the restriction I need to get the weight off and keep it off. Thanks so much for your comment. What has been your experience with lap band? And did u also have the other procedure done too? Plicante? (sp) lol

I think its helpful to go once or twice though, insurance requires one time at least. My experience so far is ok, 15lbs liquid diet, on day 2 if the band. The liquid diet taught me a lot. I also loved the nutritionust at dayone, she is amazing. Good luck!!!

I think its helpful to go once or twice though' date=' insurance requires one time at least. My experience so far is ok, 15lbs liquid diet, on day 2 if the band. The liquid diet taught me a lot. I also loved the nutritionust at dayone, she is amazing. Good luck!!![/quote']

oh ok that's great! Congrats! Well I hope you have a speedy recovery! Thanks for your info!

I also have United Health Care but I think it depends on each seperate policy.

The first time I called them they said I did not have bariatric surgery.

I spoke to my HR dept beccause I had already done 5 months of my 6 month diet and they switch insurance companies. HR informed me that the person was wrong and we did have coverage. So to make sure I called UHC back again and that person told me we did have coverage and read me all the criteria. Also the girl at my surgeons office called them and got the criteria too.

SO you just need to check with the insurance or have the doctors office check for you.

If you don't get the answer you want then check again. :)

Good luck making your decision I know it is a tough one' date=' I almost changed my mind at the last minute.

So glad I didn't.[/quote']

Oh ok thanks so much for the info!! Did you have to pay any out of pocket expenses?

Oh ok thanks so much for the info!! Did you have to pay any out of pocket expenses?

Yes, I had to pay 20%. My part of the hospital bill was $3038.

I have not go the surgeons bill yet, but I checked the UHC site and it looks like I owe $500 for her and the assistant.

I have UHC of Tennessee and it covered at but 1400.00. I have no complaints paying that. I have lost around 20 lbs and was banded on May 10, 2012.