Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

had my surgery on wed and today my left shoulder hurts alot as it does every time i take a deep breath.

trying to sip as much Water as i can..took a couple sips of Protein Drink too.

i can feel whatever i drink go down and then shirtly, almost like my stomach constricts. i had the plication so i am wondering is that why.

any advice or suggestions..........i will be thankful for any responses.

Carolina, I had the same shoulder pain. It's finally gone as of yesterday. I thought mine was because of a hiatal hernia repair but maybe it's just normal, pain meds and heating pads helped me... And sleep! You'll feel much better in a couple days! I used my spirometer even when it hurt... Seems like this would eventually ease it a bit.

yes, they did a hernia repair on me too. hard to take a deep breath

As much as it hurts try the spirometer 6 or 8 times at least 2 or 3 times a day. I really think this helps in the long run. The first couple really hurt but it does get better. I really thought that was the worst part. I also had a sharp pain on my left side of my abdomen with this, it got worse with deep breaths. Just know that this time next week it will practically be gone! Hang in there!

The shoulder pain is gas. You need Gas-X,hot tea and walk as much as you can. The incentive spirometer should be used at least 10 times a hour while awake, at least for 3-4. It helps to keep your lung clear.

The shoulder pain is gas. You need Gas-X' date='hot tea and walk as much as you can. The incentive spirometer should be used at least 10 times a hour while awake, at least for 3-4. It helps to keep your lung clear.[/quote']

Perhaps that is what is text book but I am saying what I did... And I used tons of gas x and mint tea and the spirometer is what made it feel better,. My doc said some of the pain comes from gas but in my case it was more from the repair to my diaphragm and the pain from deep breathing .., try everything Cgirl... Just hopin you feel betterr

The pain is caused by pressure from gas and swelling on a nerve that we feel in our shoulder. Get up walk around, use the gas x strips. Walking is the best. hate to say it but your going to have to tough your way through it. It is going to start to really die down after day 3. That is typically when the swelling starts to subside. If folks like myself have it without getting a hernia repaired. Took me about 1 week for it to be fully gone.

so glad to read this post I thought something was wrong with my shoulder

Should I have asked my doctor for a spirometer ?

they gave me one in the hospital

i didnt get the breathing spermetor or what ever it is? any other sugestions to getting the breathing pain to go away? seems worse when im standing!!!

i didnt get the breathing spermetor or what ever it is? any other sugestions to getting the breathing pain to go away? seems worse when im standing!!!

Just take in a slow deep breath and hold it for about 5 seconds then release. Do that a couple of times in a row several times a day. That should help. Using a heating pad helped me a ton and the gas x strips. My Dr told me it wil feel like a crick in my neck and that was a big fib lol. It should only last a couple more days. Mine lasted about a week. Good luck with everything.