Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skin In Your 20's

I was wondering, anyone who is banded and is at or near their goal, being young do you think that helped with access skin? Thanks

i had a friend who was about 19 when she had gastric bypass done. she worked out like 3 times a week and she didnt have to have any kind of surgery to remove extra skin. Not sure if that is with everyone, but im pretty sure that the younger you are, the easier it is to get that skin tightened.

Its got a lot to do with genetics and how long youve been overweight, too. Im only 40 lbs down but I really think ill have a problem with excess skin when Ive lost more. Ive heard moisturizing often is a good idea for increased elasticity...not sure how much it can really help but ill keep up with my lotion anyway :)

A friend of a friend lost 150lb, her Dr recommended Spanx to help with tightening the skin

Yep, youth helps. As you age your skin loses collagen, so it loses it's elasticity. As mentioned, how long you've been overweight matters too, as well as how quickly you lose weight (slower is better in regards to skin). I would suggest moisturizing EVERYTHING every day, and working out to build a bit of muscle, which would help fill in where the fat decreases.

I must ask.. are you serious about moisturizing? because if this is true than i will be doing this everyday! i am very scared about excess skin. I am big but alot of it is in my stomach. and i am so scared it is going to hang like it does now. I know its not a picture you want to think about but its the truth.

Yes, I am! I have moisturized pretty much my whole body every day for years! (stomach, butt, arms, feet, legs, chest and of course face). I just use a regular moisturizer (right now I love Extra Strength Vaseline lotion; really keeps skin soft). I believe also the massaging motions you do help as they get the blood flowing to those areas. I do it right out of the shower and honestly it only takes about 2 minutes. I am worth that time! lol

I am really curious about MSM. It is a sulfate that claims to help with elasticity. I have seen many testimonials to say that it works. There are lots of soaps and lotions out there that are made with MSM because it is hypoallergenic. I am curious if anyone has tried these products or powder (ingested or added to your own lotions/soaps) and seen differences in skin elasticity. It is actually a really cheap product. I found my skin was much softer after using it but I didn't do it religiously enough, and don't have excess skin (because I haven't lost weight yet). I am going to try and use it more after surgery but would love to know if anyone else has tried it or would experiment with their excess skin and post about the results!