Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise Exercise Exercise

I just peeked into the excercise and fitness section and noticed far less post than in the post op section. Most of us who had the band were not exactly what you call gym gurus before we were banded, hence we gained weight which pushed us into morbid obesity! Im saying this in the most non judgmental way possible WE MUST EXERCISE! I know some have never even entered a gym, thats ok, there is still time to join, if not at least power walk/jog for 30 minutes a day. This post was as much for me as it is for those who are struggling with excercising! Good Luck and lets continue to encourage each other in this area!

You are so right! I HAVE to get a plan soon. I am already stalling in my weight loss.

Very positive and a great reminder!

I do agree that we must excercise. Walk, ride a bike, swim, do stuff at home like a ball, wts, treadmill,rope, wii, any excercise video you think you might like.. Just move!!!!!! I don't go to the gym I have a treadmill and I do different levels each time I use it.. It changes things up for me.. I also use a rope, wts, I have a malibu pilates machine which I love. I have several different work out videos and a excercise ball.. I also do crunches, squats, push ups, etc.. So no need to go to a gym, just reminder to move!!

When I knew I was getting banded I started a consistent routine, 5 days a week and joined a gym. I was doing Zumba and dance classes. Since I started the liquid diet I had no energy.. Two weeks post op I feel so out of the swing of things. Getting back on track today! The band isn't going to do the work for me :)

I was working out at the gym for years prior to my surgery. Though it was more like blah I should go to they gym. I didn't really want to go. I'd been dieting for years, and was actually 60 lb lower than my high weight prior to my initial consult.

Now I LOVE working out. I look forward to going to kickboxing 6 days a week. I've been working with a trainer once a week and doing train to failure. Been off from that the last 2 weeks as I just finished the 10 weeks and she recommended a 2 week break before we start again. I've started taking a bootcamp class once a week (though I think they only do it during the summer) I walk to the grocery store since it is like .25 miles or something away, I find it silly to drive. I think the key is finding something you love doing. I love the way working out makes me feel.

my knees hurt so bad but i am hoping with me losing weight, i can begin to walk more and more..

I think a lot of us don't go to the gym because1) we have A LOT of bad memories of gym class, 2) we are embarrassed to be seen working out.

My answer is I don't do any classes that are on land; where it is easier for a large group of people to watch me (though I do use cardio machines). I do Water aerobics where most of your body is covered by Water.< /p>

My opinion is people can't complain that I'm fat AND complain I look bad exercising. One or the other but not both.

I have a piece of advice. I used to be petrified to join a gym becuase my experience with them was that I had to be weighed by a trainer before my "free " learn how to use the machine sessions. I was mortified because I did'nt want some hot guy knowing how much I weighted. My answer to this is get a letter from your doctor saying you are healty enough to exercise. If they want to weigh you give them the letter and say you prefer not to be weighed. They do work for you not the other way around.

I worked out twice a day with a trainer and ran half marathons before surgery. I've also hit the gym doing cardio as soon as I was allowed and weights will follow as soon as my doctor says it's ok. I didn't gain for lack of exercise. I gained for lack of self control.

I want to LOVE exercise and admit this has been an area I am very bad with. I talk myself into doing it, hate it and stop. I KNOW it will help with weight loss and I will feel better. But, I really hate it......

I had my lapband surgery in August 2009 after being over weight my entire life. At about 6 weeks in I stopped losing weight. The cranky nurse is the office asked if I was exercising. I exclaimed "do you see that I am hardly consuming any calories on this liquid diet? She said that it didn't matter because your body needs to move to lose. She could have been nicer about it but the bottom line is she is right. I joined planet fitness and didn't feel horrible doing what little I could (in the beginning). I gradually walked at lunch 3-4 days a week at lunch and went to the gym 3 times a week. My weight started to melt off and I lost ~150 lbs in 10 months. 2 years later, I am trying to lose the 20 lbs that I gained in the past 9 months (had a few surgeries) but I am determined to get back down to where I was.

I just peeked into the excercise and fitness section and noticed far less post than in the post op section. Most of us who had the band were not exactly what you call gym gurus before we were banded' date=' hence we gained weight which pushed us into morbid obesity! Im saying this in the most non judgmental way possible WE MUST EXERCISE! I know some have never even entered a gym, thats ok, there is still time to join, if not at least power walk/jog for 30 minutes a day. This post was as much for me as it is for those who are struggling with excercising! Good Luck and lets continue to encourage each other in this area![/quote']

I have exercised since my teen years. My last pregnancy i gained 100 pounds (bed rest from 20 weeks up) no matter what i did I couldn't get it off. I work out 3-4 times a week. Maybe that's why I don't post. Just don't assume if there are little post we don't exercise.

Nicole my post was for those of us who are not being as diligent as we should. Kudos to you and your workout regiment, however its not as easy for some of us. My post are always to motivate, and uplift people who are determined to reach their weight loss goals, never to put anyone down! My post wasn't really for the people who have it all together as far as working out, but for those of US who are trying to get where you are.

@BOB05212 Thank you for your encouraging post. I was guilty of lack of exercising. I am get much better now. Thanks for the reminder.

Your welcome lose 100, for me it was just getting started, once I started back at the gym, I remembered how good I feel when im done working out, just remember to stay hydrated while your working out! Good luck on your weight loss success, failure is not an option!