Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After Surgery, Do Any Of You Struggle With Still Eating Too Fast ???

Bansters:

I know most (if they struggle with this) will quickly realize that they can't eat fast at all do to the band in place. Furthermore, I know many are forced to eat very slow because of the band iin them.

However, I'm wonder if many forget that they have the band ....and "woof down" food like they did before surgery. I'm sensing that some old mindsets and behaviors still do exist post surgery. I"m always on the "go" and this is one thing I'm wondering if I may have a problem with.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

Thanks Bansters !

My bariatric nurse told me that she had a patient that was in front of the tv watching the super bowl with a bowl of pretzels and was "mindless" eating. He wasn't paying attention and was "woofing down" and ended up at the hospital. So the lesson learned is no mindless eating! Old habits die hard! I get banded on June 5th! :0)

I do! I get 30 minutes for lunch and the past two days, my time hasn't been the whole 30 mins. so I rushed to eat.. Then it hit me, ouch! My band quickly reminded me to slooooow down. I am always on the go and I definitely need to pay more attention.

Bansters:

I know most (if they struggle with this) will quickly realize that they can't eat fast at all do to the band in place. Furthermore, I know many are forced to eat very slow because of the band iin them.

However, I'm wonder if many forget that they have the band ....and "woof down" food like they did before surgery. I'm sensing that some old mindsets and behaviors still do exist post surgery. I"m always on the "go" and this is one thing I'm wondering if I may have a problem with.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

Thanks Bansters !

im like it to a certain extent. i dont woof down so much but get impatient in between mouthfuls, plus the size of the mouthfuls.. things like that. But, having said that, there has already been a huge change with me in two months. Before, i would take big mouthfuls, chew about five times and swallow. ive come a long way since then, and im confident that i will continue to pick up the good habits that i need to have. If i dont, i can look forward to many ''episodes'' of being stuck or sliming. lol.

I forget I have a band 99% of the time. I used to take a regular bite, not chew that well, and generally eat too fast. and I would get the hiccups or all those other lovely things that happen on the way to food getting stuck. It kept occuring again and again. Now, my solution is to first cut up all my food into tiny little baby bites. It lets nothing get stuck (or almost stuck) and it's a visual for me to remind myself how and why I eat this way. The only problem is it's realy embarrassing around people who don't know I have a Lapband (which is everyone but my doctor and my husband!). My mom even asked me why I have regressed and eating like a child again.

Negative reinforcement is an amazing teacher. If you don't slow down, chew well, and take small bites, you band will tell you that you MUST. After a few stuck episodes, the pain will make it clear to you that you just cannot eat like you used to.

In days past, I was always the first one done eating, now I am the last. I don't even think about my pace these days. It just is. If you insist on eating fast or taking huge bites you will be getting stuck every meal after your band is tightened up significantly.

My bariatric nurse told me that she had a patient that was in front of the tv watching the super bowl with a bowl of pretzels and was "mindless" eating. He wasn't paying attention and was "woofing down" and ended up at the hospital. So the lesson learned is no mindless eating! Old habits die hard! I get banded on June 5th! :0)

yep.. i agree completely that t.v. is a big no no. ive habitually watched t.v. all these years while eating and thats helped develop most of my bad habits, im sure. also, how can we really enjoy our food when our concentration is on the telly?

Negative reinforcement is an amazing teacher. If you don't slow down, chew well, and take small bites, you band will tell you that you MUST. After a few stuck episodes, the pain will make it clear to you that you just cannot eat like you used to.

In days past, I was always the first one done eating, now I am the last. I don't even think about my pace these days. It just is. If you insist on eating fast or taking huge bites you will be getting stuck every meal after your band is tightened up significantly.

eating fast and being the first to get up from the table has been one of my big problems as well. Being in charge of the meal always meant that i ate quickly, got up quickly and did whatever came next. that went on for years. now im struggling way after everyone else has finished and started to clean up. lol. It feels really odd to have that happening now after so many decades. :huh:

I forget I have a band 99% of the time. I used to take a regular bite, not chew that well, and generally eat too fast. and I would get the hiccups or all those other lovely things that happen on the way to food getting stuck. It kept occuring again and again. Now, my solution is to first cut up all my food into tiny little baby bites. It lets nothing get stuck (or almost stuck) and it's a visual for me to remind myself how and why I eat this way. The only problem is it's realy embarrassing around people who don't know I have a Lapband (which is everyone but my doctor and my husband!). My mom even asked me why I have regressed and eating like a child again.

..lol.. what did you tell her?? ive had these issues as well with my brother and sister etc. i had to say that im re training myself in every way to eat differently.. lol... i get some odd looks i must say. Well?? its the truth.. lol.. just some little items i missed out on telling them. :rolleyes:

Forgetting was my first and only stuck episode.

I was making deviled eggs and when I was done I just popped the extra one in my mouth and took about two bites.

I was in hell for the next 20 minutes,

Do it once and you won't forget.

Grandma, if it were only true. I'm 6 months into this and I eat too fast at least 50% of the time. I wolf down the first 3-4 bites and then my mind kicks in. A few minutes later the pouch gets pissed and lets me know it. Then I have to sit back for 15-20 minutes and painfully wait for all to pass. Then I try to eat my cold meal but I'm not hungry anymore so i don't. I guess it's keeping me from eating too much but I fear I'm eating not enough.

tmf

Forgetting was my first and only stuck episode.

I was making deviled eggs and when I was done I just popped the extra one in my mouth and took about two bites.

I was in hell for the next 20 minutes,

Do it once and you won't forget.

Haha.....too funny !!! Don't mean to laugh but was just getting the visual !

The only problem is it's realy embarrassing around people who don't know I have a Lapband (which is everyone but my doctor and my husband!). My mom even asked me why I have regressed and eating like a child again.

Wow...I wish I can do the same thing...except my brother has the lapband.....and everyone will know that I go it to. I've already told my parents and will tell my the rest of my brothers and sisters about a week or 2 after.

..lol.. what did you tell her?? ive had these issues as well with my brother and sister etc. i had to say that im re training myself in every way to eat differently.. lol... i get some odd looks i must say. Well?? its the truth.. lol.. just some little items i missed out on telling them. :rolleyes:

I told her it's helped me lose weight. She had noticed me go down two sizes since the beginning of March. (got my Lapband in December but I didn't figure out how to work it until March)

Thanks guys for all the info you shared. I haven't had any of the problems yet but I haven't had a fill yet either. I do eat small and chew chew lol. Good luck everyone