Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Me Decide- One Now, One Later-- Or Both Later

I have decided I'm definitely getting a breast lift and a TT. I did the first consult last summer to get an idea of the cost ($11,000 if I do them both at the same time, or $6000 each if I do them at different times- I'm in Alabama, so things are apparently cheaper here). At the time, I was sure I wasn't done losing weight, but I have been at 158 for a solid year now, so my dreams of losing 20 more are pretty much dead in the Water and that is no longer a reason to put it off.

My husband and I originally agreed that the best time for this would be at the end of next summer. First, it will take me until then to save the full amount in cash and second and probably more important, I will hopefully be on sabbatical next fall (I'm a professor) so I'll have plenty of recovery time without having to give up my usual summer beach/pool routine.

Here's my dilemma-- I really, REALLY hate my breasts. My husband says I am obsessed with them (I am not- I just don't want to see them uncovered- ha!), and has actually suggested that I go ahead and get them done this summer. This is pretty major, because my husband is kind of a cheapskate and he's never been super excited about either surgery given the cost. The problem is, I've already scheduled my summer pretty tightly and the only time I have available for the breast lift is the second week of August. This leaves me only 2 weeks recovery before I have to go back to work. Given my academic schedule, I really can't take time off for something that is elective, so it's not really an option to extend it. And I can't go earlier because we've rented (and paid for) a beach house for ourselves, our family, and some friends the first week of August and I can't justify cancelling everyone's vacation and eating the money for an elective surgery.

I really can't afford both this year, so I would have to split them up into two surgeries, which means two recovery times. Also, I have a genetic disorder that makes anesthetic more risky for me than the average person-- so that's double the risk if I split them. Rationally, as I read this, I'm saying-- duh, it's obvious, wait another year. But man, I hate my breasts and I'm so impatient.

What would you do? Breast Lift now, knowing all of the cons (limited recovery time, extra cost to split up the surgeries, extra risk of anasthesia, going through recovery twice) or be patient for another year and do the Lift and the TT together next summer/fall?

I would really like to hear from people who've done a lift and can speak to the recovery time/back to work, in addition to anyone else who has an opinion.

Id wait and do both at once.

Cosmetic surgery is a big upheval with a band and brings quite a risk of weight gain. I didnt unfill for my TT nine weeks ago but have suffered suchdiscomfort since that i advise doing so. Ive unfilled my band once for a major surgery and it has never been the same, i definitely would not choose to unfill it twice.

Its taken me a loooooong time to be running and spinning and bodypumping again at anything like my previous schedule. Avoiding weight gain has been HARD.

Alo, its common to get a little depressed after. Your new body is still not perfect, and changes take a long time to see. Nothing else in your life changes eithet, you kind of have a post surgery letdown. I also ouldnt want that twice.

Then theres the money. Cheaper to have one anaesthtic.

I haven't had either surgery so I can't help in disscuss recovery times. But It sounds like you really in your heart want to wait untill next summer to do them both. But because your husband mentioned maybe getting the breasts done this summer you are second guessing yourself. I think you are putting too much into your husbands comment. I daubt he hates your breast the way you do and his comment wasn't meant to make you feel as though they are so bad that you need to fix them now. And being the good wife I think you are, you are trying to please him too.

I think you have already made your mind up and would like to wait, but are looking for a few to agree with you so that you can give yourself permission. Wait untill next summer. thats when it will feel like the right time. If you really are considering what your husband wants, then discuss it with him.....if it is something he really wants you to do then work it out if possible....but if you can't I think he should understand.

Good luck!! I'm saving now!! I told my husband I claim dibs on the next 3 income tax returns!! I want I TT, Perky breasts and a small chin lift.

If I were you I would wait and do it all at once.

I agree with jachut.... wait and do both at the same time.... i sure wish i would have done both at the same time.... now i have to go back and get my breast done. I was going to get both, but i read tooooo much on the internet and scared myself right out of it. I really thought the TT was going to be a lot harder than it was..... NOT!!! I was back to work in 12 days. I had little to no pain at all.

Would the end of this year be an option? If i had to do over i would have done this in Octoberishhhh. But that's just me. This Wednesday will be 14 weeks out for me and i still have some swelling and numbness in the area. I also, developed a skin ulcer on my left hip that took about 4-5 weeks to heal. The rest healed very well. My dr. did a great job on the cut. He did exactly what i asked for.... i didn't want a straight across cut, i wanted it to dip into my pubic area.

If you think you may want to do this now, and don't have the money..... This is what i did. I of course looked into the care credit and all the rest and even a personal loan, but decided to do this instead. I went to Chase and opened a Slate Card. I got approved for exactly what i needed for the surgery, not a penny more. It was a 15 month 0% interest card and no annual fee. So at the end of 13 or so months what ever i have left i'm going to switch to another 0% interest card. that way i pay no interest on the surgery at all and my monthly note is only 10% of the balance..... $8000... = $80. ...... i'm at 7900 so this month's minim. is $79..... but i pay more to get the balance down.

Thank you all-- you're right, I want to wait.

To be clear, my husband is fine with my body-- but he knows how much it is bothering me. He's sweet like that.

I'd wait to do both and stop complaining about my breasts until then to lessen annoying the hubby since he was encouraging you to go asap

It was a very hard decision for me as well. On Friday, May 18, I had both my Tummy Tuck, and breast reduction done at the same time. I couldn't be more pleased with my decision!!!

I'm currently recovering from brachioplasty and have had some complications. I'm almost 3 weeks out and actually am going to have to take 2 more weeks off b/c I had to get 18 stitches today. I can't lift anything... pretty much need to baby my left arm. Since I'm a nurse I can't work without a left arm! All that said... don't be scared I don't regret a thing.

I say wait absolutly! The reason... you never know if you will have complications. If you do have complications you don't want to rush back to work b/c you won't heal. The weight gain is also a factor! I gained 30 lbs at one point down 10 of that now but still have 20 lbs to work off. You don't want to have to do that twice! Plastic surgery is no joke. I found my brachioplasty to be the toughest surgery I've undergone. I've had my gallbladder out, pilinidal cyst removed, and the lap band.

I know you want to wait to have your surgery but I just wanted to give you some info on the breast lift for when you do have it done. I had a breast lift with an arm lift 3 1/2 weeks ago and if I worked I could ave gone back in 5 days for sure (as long as your job doesn't require heavy lifting.) As far as hitting the beach or pool my surgeon cleared me for swimming when I went in for my 2 week checkup. I had my Tummy Tuck in Feb. and I was glad I had it done separately from the breast lift but that's what worked for me and I don't have a problem with anesthesia your plastic surgeon will be a good person to ask about the risk of two surgeries. With each surgery I felt better and better in my own skin so to me it was worth doing it separate.

Hi, I'd like to add my 2 cents worth!

I did both together last year and Celebrate the results but you didn't give enough information for others to make valuable suggestions.

Re the breast surgery, a lot depends on what you need done. I'm old (77 now) and my boobs were droopy and fairly large (38 C). I hadn't seen my nipples since I was a kid and I hated that. I also suffer from Migraines and had been on many different meds as well as regular botox injections. My neurologist wrote a letter for the surgeon to submit with his request to have the breast reduction covered by medical insurance and it was actually accepted. If you have anything similar, you could try to have this covered. My daughter in law got hers covered because of neck and back pain as she was substantial!

My surgery tightened up the breasts and moved the nipples to the front. Since I didn't require having the 'C' cut under the breast, the surgery was relatively pain free, believe it or not. If you need the 'C' cut under, the amount of pain definitely increases. By the way I have full sensitivity even though the nipples were moved.

The Tummy Tuck sounds so cute but it really is a major surgery. Your stomach muscles are cut and that hurts ... a lot. Some folks can manage post op on a recliner. I sat on a recliner during the day but couldn't even lean over to shift the chair to neutral when I had to use the bathroom without help.

I rented a hospital bed and a potty chair plus a walker for the nights and believe it's what made the whole experience possible. I put a liner on the floor between my bed and the potty because it takes time to maneuver yourself out of the bed onto the potty. I used the walker to help pull myself up from the bed. The floor cover gave me a sense of security if I didn't make it to the potty in time. I bought an inexpensive painter's drop cloth and taped it to the carpet. I never needed the walker to walk. The hospital bed comes with an automatic lifter and gets you almost to a sitting position with gentle lifting of the upper section of the mattress. I couldn't have done this by myself without strong arms to help as I had no strength from my stomach muscles to get myself up. Remember, I'm fairly old.

My husband slept in another room as there wasn't enough space for the hospital bed in our bedroom so we picked up a baby monitor at a garage sale and used it at night in case I needed help. Never did need help but it gave us the ability to communicate as we were upstairs and downstairs.

Now, to your decision. If your breast surgery is major, have it separately. If yours is not much more than mine, tack it on and get it all over with at once. I had very low blood pressure for several days following my surgery so they kept me in the extra few days. No big deal. The staff is kind and the service if needed is there.

The Salvation Army lends things like potty chairs and walkers but you'll have to rent a bed. My feelings are that you will bless the bed and it's ability to lift you upright.

Hope all this helps. Just want to share one more thing. The first time the nurses were changing my breast dressings and I saw my nipples facing up, I really shrieked with delight. Everything else, all the discomfort to have a flat stomach was livable ... my boobs are beautiful and I really love my flat stomach. I'm a size 12, still have places that should be trimmer but I can live with that. My doctor says that if I get sick, the extra 20 lbs I still carry will be there for me to fall back on. Can you imagine a doctor saying "Don't lose any more weight. You're fine!!!!!!"