Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question For Those Who Revised To Different Procedure...

I was banded in 2010. I did really great on the diet and lost around 30 lbs. I was going to the gym at least 3x per week until my knees started Killing me! I couldn't take my prescription anti-inflammatories because of the band. Once they were out of my system (I stopped them just prior to my band placement - I didn't realize how much knee pain they were conceling), I could hardly walk up & down stairs. It was awful. Of course I couldn't exercise so I started gaining some of the weight back. I went to an Ortopedic surgeon who tried shots in the knees to no avail. This surgeon did not want to do replacement surgery & told me I'd needed to lose weight! I'm in my 50's, so not being able to even do my housework tasks helped me gain the weight back. About a month ago I got something stuck in my band (it was something I'd been able to eat before) and violently vomited. It was a Sunday so I couldn't go to my Bariatric Surgeon's office. I suffered all night long to the point of pucking up my own saliva. The stuck food was NOT moving. I went in the next day and had a doc remove all the Fluid. I found out on a later visit with my Surgeon that my band has slipped.I'm so done with the band! I'm having it taken out & am considering the sleeve (my surgeon encouraged me to switch; he answered all my questions) - I just want to make the right decision. I feel like I've failed at every "diet" possible to man & now I've failed at the LapBand...am worried I'll fail yet again on the sleeve. No matter how much you tell yourself you have to change your diet and exercise, those old temptations come back. I could eat the "bad" things with the band, but not always the "good" things I wanted, like scrambled eggs. I could eat a wafle, but not scrambled eggs??? Ridiculous! Sometimes I could eat granola, sometimes I couldn't! It drove me crazy! I feel that having the band was a big mistake for me. Now I'm just hoping my insurance will pay to remove the band; it has to come out, & approve a switch to the sleeve. I just am not certain about having that revision????

Sorry to hear about your troubles Newbie. I think you have a good chance to have a revisional procedure due to your slippage. I was considering the sleeve as well until I attended an information bariatric meeting. A bariatric surgeon informed me that many people who get the sleeve tend to revise eventually to the bypass. He did not want me to get the sleeve for that reason, and frankly, I want to have ONE revisional procedure and be DONE with it. I have not been happy with my band at all. It's either too tight or I am not losing much and need an adjustment. And like you, one minute I could eat one thing, the next minute I could not. I also have a lot of stress in my life and that affected my band as well.

I am NOT by any means thinking the bypass isn't going to have it's share of complications. But at least I know I will not have to take a half a day of work off every two weeks to adjust my band. It was a LOT more maintenance than I anticipated. But it is what it is. I am thankful I have the option for a revision. I start my Protein shakes Monday and have surgery August 13. Can't wait.

Good luck to you and let us know what you end up having done.

Thanks so much for your response! I hadn't thought of the bypass. I also saw something online today called "Gastric Sleeve Plication". My doc didn't mention that to me. That procedure looks newer. Like you, I want to only have 1 more procedure, get healthy, which means loose weight and be done with it! I see you have made up your mind for the bypass. I too wish you luck! WHOOT-WHOOT! August 13th will be here so quickly! I'll be praying for you! Let me know how it all goes for you. I'll do the same!

I had the band in 2005 and it sucked and now I am trying for the revision to the highly successful Gastric Sleeve. 2 weeks out from the procedure I just got a call from the WLC that my insurance denied the whole thing, removal of band and GS, until I get another psych eval and nutrition regiment for SIX MONTHS!!! I am pissed. I even had a sleep apnea test done as that is a new requirement if BMI is under 40, which mine barely is. And yes I have it zzzzzz... I am waiting to hear back from WLC about the possibility of having the band removed now, and the sleeve done in 6 months. AND insurance covering it. GRRRR... I look at that 6 months as time wasted when pounds could be dropping. I am 63 and getting older by the second!!

I'm 6 weeks in to my 6 month wait (due to stomach issues not insurance) so six weeks without the band and 5 months exactly til I get my bypass...,it's Driving me crazy!!!! Yes, it do seems like wasted time (logically in my care I know I need to heal, but still I want it now!!!!) good luck and I hope the rest of your journey is smooth.