Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I only weigh on Wed and last week I had not lost or gained, I was the exact same weight as the week before.

I had only been eating between 700 & 800 calories a day.

After reading several posts on here I decided my body must be in starvation mode and I needed to increase calories to 1000 to 1100.

I have done that for the last four days and curiosity got the best of me, I got on the scale today and gained one pound.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I go back to the 800 calories a day?

Any input would be appreciated.

I think our bodies need at least a week to show the differences from a diet change.

Cindy's mom,

I have been eating Protein Shakes, yogurt, scrambled eggs, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, chicken, fish, Soup.< /p>

Yesterday I had to go to a party and I had one hot dog (no bun), a few baked Beans and a deviled egg.

I have tried very hard to stick to the list my doctor gave me.

upping your caloriws was the best thing, however give it a week or two.... are you exercising?

Cindy's mom,

I have been eating Protein shakes, yogurt, scrambled eggs, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, chicken, fish, Soup.< /p>

Yesterday I had to go to a party and I had one hot dog (no bun), a few baked Beans and a deviled egg.

I have tried very hard to stick to the list my doctor gave me.

Have you tried cutting out the Protein Shakes, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, and soup? All of those, albeit healthy, are slider foods. Stick with the eggs, chicken, and fish and add in lots of veggies. Watch the sodium content of foods and also be aware if it's that time of month.

Also, don't use the scale as your only measure. Use measurements like your waist circumference, hips, arms, thighs etc. You might see some reduction in inches even if you see a slight gain in pounds.

Axa,

If I cut out the things you suggested I would never get my daily Protein in, I usually have a Protein shake on the drive to work and that kicks off my Protein for the day.

Could you explain to me why I would cut them out if I am staying within the calories and protein limits?

Unfortunately, I am not a vegie eater, there are only a few that I will eat.

I do love fruit but it has very little calories or protein.

I don't have to worry about that time of the month, I am past that point in my life.

The PA in my surgeons office said the same thing about using measurement and not focusing on the scale but it is very discouraging when the scale does not move then goes up, down one is better then nothing.

Byrd,

I have went from NO excercise pre surgery to doing one hour on the Wii Fit and started walking, I am up to one mile a day, I know that is not much but I am working my way up. I have back problems and some days it is hard to go a mile.

Thanks everybody for the input.

Axa,

If I cut out the things you suggested I would never get my daily Protein in, I usually have a Protein shake on the drive to work and that kicks off my protein for the day.

Could you explain to me why I would cut them out if I am staying within the calories and protein limits?

Unfortunately, I am not a vegie eater, there are only a few that I will eat.

I do love fruit but it has very little calories or protein.

I don't have to worry about that time of the month, I am past that point in my life.

The PA in my surgeons office said the same thing about using measurement and not focusing on the scale but it is very discouraging when the scale does not move then goes up, down one is better then nothing.

Byrd,

I have went from NO excercise pre surgery to doing one hour on the Wii Fit and started walking, I am up to one mile a day, I know that is not much but I am working my way up. I have back problems and some days it is hard to go a mile.

Thanks everybody for the input.

I find that the protein you get from food such as chicken keeps you fuller. I didn't lose any weight while I was using Protein drinks. Just something to think about.

This might be an odd question...but are you regular? If you're not getting much in the way of fruit/veggies, are you taking a Fiber supplement? If not, that might help get things, um, "moving" as it were.

I only weigh on Wed and last week I had not lost or gained, I was the exact same weight as the week before.

I had only been eating between 700 & 800 calories a day.

After reading several posts on here I decided my body must be in starvation mode and I needed to increase calories to 1000 to 1100.

I have done that for the last four days and curiosity got the best of me, I got on the scale today and gained one pound.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I go back to the 800 calories a day?

Any input would be appreciated.

It's important to look at the nutrition label of everything you eat. Generally, I have been advised to avoid cheese, as the amount of fat it contains with the ratio to the Protein grams you get from it are not acceptable. Also, foods such as cottage cheese are not solid enough to keep you feeling full longer.

I have found 3 things slow my weight loss: 1. not having enough calories. 2 not drinking enough Water, and 3 not having enough Protein every day. Also, every 10 pounds or so, I will hit a plateau for a week, and then will loose again.

I was advised to avoid anything which is processed, and eat as many whole foods as possible. Processed meats, like hot dogs, are major offenders in this area. Also, sodium content is another number you should be aware of, as you will retain fluids.

You should have a daily calorie maintenance target, and also daily protein gram number to shoot for. I am still able to loose weight with having 1 Protein shake daily, as it provides 37g of protein and has very low calories and carb grams.

Much of this journey is knowing your own body, so some additional trial and error may be necessary to reach an equilibrium.

Keep up the good work, it will pay off for you!

Sojourner,

Thank you for all the information. I don't usually eat processed meats like hot dogs but I was at a party and didn't have many choices.

I think maybe I could eat more greek yogurt and less cheese.< /p>

I am getting my daily Protein between 60-80 grams. I do struggle with alot of Water. I do get plenty of liquids not all water.

So my main question was did I do the right thing increasing my calories?

Thanks for your help.

Sojourner,

Thank you for all the information. I don't usually eat processed meats like hot dogs but I was at a party and didn't have many choices.

I think maybe I could eat more greek yogurt and less cheese.

I am getting my daily Protein between 60-80 grams. I do struggle with alot of Water. I do get plenty of liquids not all Water.< /p>

So my main question was did I do the right thing increasing my calories?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I believe that you are doing the right thing to increase your calories...though I was advised to never count calories, only to measure all my food carefully, by volume after being cooked.

Your daily grams of Protein seems high...my daily goal is 32-50. Are you measuring your portions? How many grams of protein does the yogurt have? I am allowed to have only 3 oz of protein and 2 oz of a Fiber carb with every meal. I have the protein shake to help me meet my Calcium intake.

I also was having a difficult time with getting all of my free fluids in every day until I structured my time and meals. I know that by lunch time, in addition to the 12 oz of tea or iced coffee prior to Breakfast (Most needed to take my morning pills), I need to have 1- 16 oz bottle water down. Between lunch and dinner, I focus on having 2 more bottles of water. After dinner into the evening, another 16 oz bottle. Another 8 oz of water for the evening pills. I had to do something to remind myself to drink more; I ended up in the ER with severe dehydration, which I did not recognize the symptoms for.

Like I said, knowing your own body, and experimenting with different ways to meet all of your daily requirements will help immensely. I like to keep everything very simple, though it does mean lots of repetition at times. It will take me several meals to eat 1 medium sweet potato, 2 days to finish off a skinless chicken breast. But, happy thing for me, I always enjoyed leftovers! My new favorite lunch is a bed of fresh spinach, a sliced hard boiled egg, an ounce of turkey breast, with a small drizzle of fat free dressing. Dinner varies, with lean protein, usually fish with lemon juice or skinless chicken or turkey breast with a cooked vegetable. I prefer carrots, broccoli and sweet potato.

I should add, that only 1 of your carb servings every day is allowed to be a complex carb, such as sweet potato, peas, or lima Beans. I avoid "white" everything.

If you have not met with a dietitian, it would be a great idea. I do not have to limit my fluids to water, it's just that I like it, and the bottles make it much easier to stay on track with drinking enough.

I did not intend to write so much, but I am passionate about people being successful with this journey. I have a long way to go, but am feeling positive about my progress to date.

Good luck!

Thank you Sojourner. You have been very informative and I do appreciate you taking your time to try and help me. Hopefully I can use your information to better myself.

I also have a long way to go and hope to get on the right path soon.

My first fill is scheduled for June 5th.

Thank you Sojourner. You have been very informative and I do appreciate you taking your time to try and help me. Hopefully I can use your information to better myself.

I also have a long way to go and hope to get on the right path soon.

My first fill is scheduled for June 5th.

Just trust your band!! You cant live your life reading labels.. You haven't even had your first fill yet .. You will do great, trust me when you get in the green zone you will know it.!!

Trust all you have learned and trust your band.. These very words come directly from my nutritionist when I was waiting for my first fill and also discouraged..! That was just a month ago and once I just started to do these things the weight has started falling off.!!

Good luck, you can do this just relax and take a breath!!