Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What? Is An Intern Doing My Procedure?

Exactly what does my surgeon mean when he introduces me to this other (very young) doctor whom he claims will be "assisting" him? I'm going in on Monday and I will be asking him that question directly, but does anyone have any ideas or knowledge about this kind of statement? Any advice for me when I speak to him on Monday and ask about it? How can I KNOW that the person I have researched and am expecting to have operate on me, will actually be the one doing the procedure? I don't want an intern doing the procedure with the expert advising him. NO, NO, NO! My body isn't there to be "learned" or "practiced" on!

I totally understand you on that, and you r right sounds like hes going to have an interm do it while he assist, i would let your doctor know this and tell him how u feel bout that..good luck

I believe an intern mainly just observes and the doctor actually does the procedure. They may help somewhat because they have to learn. Definitely a good question for your doctor. Keep in mind that all doctors have to be interns before they are doctors, even your doctor was once an intern. But if you are uncomfortable with the intern participating in the surgery it is your right to refuse it. Good luck to you!

i was also introduced to my dr's assistant. he said he would be meeting me for all my follow ups and giving me the fills and he said he'd be in the OR with my surgeon.

is your surgery being done at a teaching hospital? If so there is a good chance the intern could be doing it supervised by your doctor...

First I understand your concerns. During my one of my consults I was asked if an intern could sit in to which I said sure. Day of surgery I had an intern come see me presurgery (I did not see my doctor as he was having a problem with the surgery before mine.). Day after surgery I had 3 interns come see me. Again did not see my doctor. I do know he did my surgery though. I would talk to the doctor and tell them your concerns. My guess is the intern will watch the surgery and then do any stiching that needs to close you up.

I told my nurse a year after surgery that whatever intern did my closing stitches did a fabulous job because my scar is GREAT. She looked at my file and said "Your surgery was in August. NO WAY would the surgeon let them work on you. They were too new."

How do you expect new Dr's to learn things if they don't have the chance to assist surgeons?

If you really have that big of an issue with it, then tell you Dr you do not want anyone else operating on you. It's that simple.

I dont mean to muddy the Water but... Where did your doctor learn to do this proceedure? Who showed him? I hope you can soften your heart & open your mind to this "assistant" and I will pray that both of them have sharp eyes, nimble hands and quick minds.

It sounds like the student doctor will be doing the procedure, while the surgeon supervises him. I am sure this student doctor is good, and knowledgeable, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with someone that new operating on me either. I would want only the best. If you're not comfortable, do not hesitate to say so. It's your right.

I work in a hospital and trust me the intern will be doing the procedure. I know it might seem scary but interns can be better than a seaoned doc sometimes. They are so scared of screwing up, they are so careful and take their time. Don't be scared if anything happens the attending will r there

An intern/resident IS a doctor. And depending on what year s/he is, they have been doctors for a few years. New residents start in June, so he is not brand spanking new. If you are having surgery in a teaching hospital you will most likely be speaking to the resident with the attending (your doctor) standing there listening (sometimes, residents make rounds without attendings also)

Before I was a stay at home mommy I was a trauma step down nurse in a teaching hospital, so I worked with residents daily. Some of the best doctors I know I meet in their first year. But you can request that the resident does not do the surgery. I did this during the birth of my second daughter. I set the guidelines of who could be in my birth, how many students, etc.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your input and wisdom everyone. I called he hospital and it is not a teaching hospital. I'm all for new doctor's learning how to do procedures, just not on my body and not on my buck. I know some may be comfortable with it, and for those who are, great. But I want the doctor with the most experience. I researched very carefully and chose the doctor based on the fact that he had done over 1000 of these procedures. If we were talking about a mole removal or something minor, I'd be okay with it, but we're talking about a surgery and procedure on my stomach. I'd go to a brand new hair styles or a student manicurist, but surgery, no. Fortunately, I'll be able to discuss my concern with the doctor and I'll see what he says.

If it is being done at a teaching hospital, maybe the "assistant" may do part of the procedure. Depends if it is an intern or a resident. I work at a veterinary hospital and at least in that field, the interns don't really get to do procedures, just assist, with closing or hold a retractor or stuff like that. If it is a resident, then they may be doing the procedure or just helping out. I've never seen a laproscopic procedure done (only open ones), but a surgeon only has 2 hands, so they may not even be able to hold all the instruments at once.

UPDATE: I spoke to my surgeon and let him know my concern about the intern doing the procedure. He said that the most he would do is close me up after being banded. The rest of the procedure will be done by my surgeon. I made him promise! :) and he totally assured that he would be doing it. After all, this doctor is the reason I'm at this particular practice. I was very deliberate in my choice, I researched him and chose him for his research, experience and proven record. I figure, it's my body, my money and my choice. The intern, kind as he is, is welcome to get his practice on someone else's body. I'm not doubting his ability or denying the need to learn. I'm just saying...not on me, thanks. So, though I'm still afraid of surgery, I'm feeling MUCH better after having this conversation with my doctor. Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

My Dr. had informed my that all surgeons have assistants weather they be interns or other surgeons. I have surgery in a little over 24 hours and i have never meet my surgeons assistant.. But i have done enough reasearch and the fact that a good friend and family dr taught my surgeon makes me confident that im in good hands either way!!! Hope you get some answers to sooth your mind about this matter and good luck to you!