Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minimum Calories...?

I am wondering how many people believe they should get a "minimum" amount of calories per day, and why.

Also, if you are concerned about getting you calorie intake, why are weight losers so concerned about burning calories to loose weight?

If your Dr. says you should get 1000 calories a day, and you burn 500 a day at the gym, does that mean you should get 1500 a day to make up the difference?

Would that negate the workout and calorie burning you did that day?

Or perhaps if your Dr. says you need 1000, and you know you'll burn 500 at the gym, then maybe you can just get 500 daily intake and say screw the gym.

I'm just wondering.

I do believe in a minimum caloric intake. And I don't think the exercise/calories formula is that simple. The 500 you take in and then burn off doesn't take into account the extra minerals. Vitamins, finer etc. From the food you eat.

you have to work out to preserve muscle mass, you don't want to loose your muscle and be all fat, that would be bad.

also you will feel better if you work out.

shoot for the minimum calorie amount so you don't starve yourself, the body needs fuel to loose, and do some working out taht is light/moderate intesity.

I don't bother with any of it. For me, It makes the process much harder than it needs to be. I have no idea how many calories I eat. Of course I eat much less than I used to because I dropped 100 pounds in a year.

I get all confused with this calorie crud too! I hate counting calories, but when my weightloss slows down I automatically think I'm eating too much! After all the years of dieting I'm just tired! Even when I have 1100 cals a day I think it's too much and that's just crazy!!

I average 1200 to avoid starvation mode when I work out I don't count it it's just healthy activity that's good for me. I was banded in November 2011 I am 6 pounds away from a 100 lost. I believe everyone is different but it works for me so I stick with it. The day I found out a single chicken nugget had 61 calories I knew counting calories was for me! Fitness pal is my friend. But as I said everyone is different.

B52, I've been reading your posts and am inclined to agree with your way of thinking. I'm still monitoring calories closely because I haven't hit the green zone yet, but I don't plan to once my band is where it needs to be.

I also don't subscribe to starvation mode though--starving children in third world countries & anorexia being my reasons!!!!!!

I don't count calories. I am not dieting anymore. This is my new way of life. I eat healthy foods with 6 small portions daily. Counting calories gets way to tedious and frustrating for me. I try not to over think my weight loss journey. So far so good.

I don't count calories either. I just eat less and more healthy than I used to. The weight is slowly but steadily coming off. When it stops I may have to get a new strategy..... until then.

I didn't count calories while I was losing and I don't count calories now that I am at goal. Like always I am mindful about the quality of food I eat and just listen to my body/band. I rarely feel hungry but my body tells me when I need food and I tend to crave what my body is needing so I just eat accordingly and when I am full I stop eating.

Everyone is different. I don't think there is a perfect formula for anyone. I count calories because I don't like the idea of getting too few calories. Band or no band, I will not lose weight if I under eat, that's just me. Now that I have the band, I don't know that over eating will be as much of a concern, but under eating is just as damaging. I exercise, but do not subtract that from my calorie intake. I eat the calories whether I exercise or not. I don't lose weight without exercise. Again everyone is different. I like counting, so it works for me.

I certainly don't count calories to make sure i am getting enough - that is never an issue. But even with my band at good restriction, to loose weight i have to keep below 1000 calorie so i do count when my weight loss has stalled. I was adding extra calories for exercise but if i go over the magic 1000, exercise or no exercise my weight stalls and if i am not careful i will start to gain. I don't track all the time, just when the scales tell me i need to.