Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Have Gastric Plication Done After You Already Had A Lap Band?

Hi all,

I got my lapband about 3 years ago. I went from 246 to 202 over the next 6 months. Then, my weight loss plateaued and slowly started to creep up. My doc tried some nutritional supplements to boost my metabolism and they did not seem to help. But, the metabolism testing that he has done show I should be burning 1800 or so calories a day. I put all my food in MyFitnessPal on my phone, so do it when I am eating, not trying to remember later. And I keep my calories around 1500 to 1600 a day, so I should be slowly losing, not gaining. :-( I do admit to sometimes drinking with my meals (I know I am not supposed to), but if my calories for the day are 1500, should that really make a difference in terms of weight loss?

At my last appointment, he suggested going in again for surgery and getting gastric plication, basically where they fold in your stomach and stich it to create what works like a gastric sleeve, but without cutting your stomach. He has been doing it for about 6 months and now it is his standard protocol when doing a band to also do the plication. He says that he has done it for existing band patients like me that have either stalled in their loss or started to gain. He says that they have been losing again, but of course, since this is a new procedure, he doesn't have more than a few months data.

He claims the insurance approval process is not anywhere near as difficult as the first time around since it is considered a revision to my existing band. So, he says, make the decision and give us a call and then I could have the surgery within a month (since you still have to do some pre-op testing and a pre-op diet).

Anyone with any first hand experience as a band patient that went back in for plication??

Stacey

You should check out the band with plication thread they have going on here. I have not heard of someone getting it after the fact, but know I would have opted for it if my Dr would have been performing it.

I have read on one of these boards about that but can't remember where. I would say go for it... I'm having banded plication on the 28th... Good luck!

Stacey

Thank you for posting this I am having the same issues as to gaining weight also I have had my bad 3yrs in July 2012 I have been kind of bad though as of late working around the band using what is called a slider food.

So that being said I have since downloaded "myfitnesspal" and love, love, love that app!! I am working on a 1200 cal regime I was 254 when I got banded and now at my lowest was 203 but since have gained oh about 10 lbs. I have made some major life changes since Jan 2011 and there was a yr working for a company that I totally hated and the stress nearly killed me. No longer working "unemployed" a whole different kind of stress but the stress of the job is gone.

I was to a point where I constantly had sleepless nights, major hair loss and a huge Vitamin deficiency, my cholesterol has even jumped from 206 to 221 so I once again have to make some major life changes to protect my health. I had to find a new doctor when I moved to NJ in Jan 2011 he never once checked the band not even at the 2 yr mark. So this week I changed doctors and we are due to have a barium ultra sound to see if there is anything actually wrong with the band or if I have stretched my pouch. I am also scared to death I have NEVER had one issue with this band and I hate the thought of major issues especially since my medical insurance is running out at the end of May since I lost my job.

Anyway I wish you luck and please keep me posted as to this process as it might be something I have to have done eventually. At this point I am really not sure what is going on with me and this band. We will see.

Have a great day

Michele

Stacey

Thank you for posting this I am having the same issues as to gaining weight also I have had my bad 3yrs in July 2012 I have been kind of bad though as of late working around the band using what is called a slider food.

So that being said I have since downloaded "myfitnesspal" and love' date=' love, love that app!! I am working on a 1200 cal regime I was 254 when I got banded and now at my lowest was 203 but since have gained oh about 10 lbs. I have made some major life changes since Jan 2011 and there was a yr working for a company that I totally hated and the stress nearly killed me. No longer working "unemployed" a whole different kind of stress but the stress of the job is gone.

I was to a point where I constantly had sleepless nights, major hair loss and a huge Vitamin deficiency, my cholesterol has even jumped from 206 to 221 so I once again have to make some major life changes to protect my health. I had to find a new doctor when I moved to NJ in Jan 2011 he never once checked the band not even at the 2 yr mark. So this week I changed doctors and we are due to have a barium ultra sound to see if there is anything actually wrong with the band or if I have stretched my pouch. I am also scared to death I have NEVER had one issue with this band and I hate the thought of major issues especially since my medical insurance is running out at the end of May since I lost my job.

Anyway I wish you luck and please keep me posted as to this process as it might be something I have to have done eventually. At this point I am really not sure what is going on with me and this band. We will see.

Have a great day

Michele[/quote']

Where in nj do u live?

Where in nj do u live?

I live south near the town of Blackwood, NJ just south of Deptford.

Hi all' date='

I got my lapband about 3 years ago. I went from 246 to 202 over the next 6 months. Then, my weight loss plateaued and slowly started to creep up. My doc tried some nutritional supplements to boost my metabolism and they did not seem to help. But, the metabolism testing that he has done show I should be burning 1800 or so calories a day. I put all my food in MyFitnessPal on my phone, so do it when I am eating, not trying to remember later. And I keep my calories around 1500 to 1600 a day, so I should be slowly losing, not gaining. :-( I do admit to sometimes drinking with my meals (I know I am not supposed to), but if my calories for the day are 1500, should that really make a difference in terms of weight loss?

At my last appointment, he suggested going in again for surgery and getting gastric plication, basically where they fold in your stomach and stich it to create what works like a gastric sleeve, but without cutting your stomach. He has been doing it for about 6 months and now it is his standard protocol when doing a band to also do the plication. He says that he has done it for existing band patients like me that have either stalled in their loss or started to gain. He says that they have been losing again, but of course, since this is a new procedure, he doesn't have more than a few months data.

He claims the insurance approval process is not anywhere near as difficult as the first time around since it is considered a revision to my existing band. So, he says, make the decision and give us a call and then I could have the surgery within a month (since you still have to do some pre-op testing and a pre-op diet).

Anyone with any first hand experience as a band patient that went back in for plication??

Stacey[/quote']

Hi Stacey,

I was wondering what was your decition on the plication? Did you go for it? If so has it helped you in any way? I got banded 2 months ago and I am losing very slowly and I would like to know how it went. (just Incase I need it in the future)

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

U shouldn't drink Water BC.it pushes.ur food through too quickly n u get hungry quicker again

Sent from my SGH-T989 using LapBandTalk

I had the band with plication 6/26 sine 6/15 I have lost 45 lbs I go Thursday for my first fill even though insurance will not pay for it my doctor does it free for now he believes that it makes a huge difference time will tell but so far so good

Stacey,

Our stories sound so much alike. It's been 28 months since my surgery. I went from 249 to 203 all in the first 6-8 months after surgery. Then nothing. No more weight loss. It gets discouraging. It sounds like your doctor is doing a great job. I've never had anybody check my metabolism. I didn't even know that could be done.

Let us know what you decide to do. Best wishes for a good outcome!

Hi. I have the band with plication. I had it done 3 weeks ago, July 6 to be exact. It's working for me. No hunger so far. :0)

Wow if you are allowed 1500 calories then you can have way more than me I was told to stick around 800 a day. I did have the plication done and I do think it made a difference I only have .5cc in my band and my doctor doesnt see a need to add anymore right now because I'm losing so well and I stay full for a few hours.