Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling The Crave To Actually Chew Something!

Hi fellow bandsters. I was banded on 4/24/2012. I'm 9 days post-op, and currently in the pureed foods stage of the post-op diet. Even though I'm in that stage, I'm starting to feel the crave to actually chew something. I broke down, went to the store and bought a cup of noodles. I prepared it. I ate one small bite of it, chewing for a good 30 seconds, then immediately threw the rest of it away, I was so disgusted with myself. I need any ideas of what I could possibly "eat" in this stage without the necessity of the food going through a blender. I saw people were talking about refried Beans and scrambled eggs, which is something I'll definitely look into.

On an unrelated note, I'm scared that when I'm able to eat food normally, that I'll get stuck a lot. Is there any way to avoid stuck episodes? The only thing I know as far as not getting stuck is to avoid bread in large portions. Any other suggestions? Thanks to all that reply.

chew chew chew and then chew some more...take small bites and then chew...did i say chew chew chew chew!!!...avoid dry meats...i have recently been stuck on chicken breast and pot roast...

So poultry's a no-no?

Check.

Mashed potatoes! Just chew them really really well... I ate mashed potatoes 5 days after surgery and did just fine. Or you could try watered down cream of wheat or oatmeal, and yogurt?

Mashed potatoes! Just chew them really really well... I ate mashed potatoes 5 days after surgery and did just fine. Or you could try watered down cream of wheat or oatmeal, and yogurt?

Good point. Every now and then, I do eat a small bowl of watered down malt-o-meal. I have a new love for that stuff.

So poultry's a no-no?

Check.

No! chicken is good for you! But take small bites (dime to nickel size) and chew until you get tired of chewing and then chew some more. And eat slow.

I have not had trouble with bread (yet), but I am not in the green zone yet. And if no one has told (warned) you, restriction does not happen right after surgery. It usually takes a few fills to get green (I've had 4 fills, hoping #5 is the trick). You're about to enter bandster hell, prepare yourself. You'll question if you did the right thing, you'll think you're the only one whose had these problems, you may even gain some weight back. Most of us have been there, so don't let it get you down.

Good luck!

I was banded on 4/23 I am on purees also. to get past the desire to chew, I chew on ice from sonic. They are small and crunchy. Also, my basic menu has consisted of baked potato Soup from Panera bread and egg drop Soup. I started incorporating watered down mashed potatoes and super milky oatmeal. I'm worried about the stuck feeling too but I guess I won't learn more about limits until I start eating solids. Good luck

9529131.png<br />

Don't be to hard on your self. We all have those cravings and I really want to eat. I was banded on 4/25 and I am so ready for rel food. The only thing that keeps me going is thinking about how much weight I'm losing ;)

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Don't be to hard on your self. We all have those cravings and I really want to eat. I was banded on 4/25 and I am so ready for rel food. The only thing that keeps me going is thinking about how much weight I'm losing ;)

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Same here. I've already lost 8 pounds since the procedure. =D

this is one thing I puree....... caned chicken, some avocado ,green enchilada sauce, re fried been's and onion's ...I love mexican food so it is helping me through the puree time, as long as there is no lumps bumb's or chunks my doc said it can be puree

When I was about a week and a half out from surgery, I crunched a pretzel and spit it in a napkin. Chewing felt so good, so I did it again. :P

I know how you feel. I'm a week post op and ashamed to admit some of the slip ups I've had. I cannot wait to have a fill!! I'm getting hungry and the mushies just aren't cutting it for me. I have a constant guilty feeling for some of things Ive nibbled on including a slice of pizza. I spit it out but I'm still just sooooo disappointed in my self. I'm also moarning all the foods I will no longer be able to eat. I need more support. My family just doesn't get it. :/

So poultry's a no-no?

Check.

poultry can be eaten if its chewed properly and very small bites. i think there are the biggest lessons we have to learn. in fact we have to relearn, and its not easy.

i know that i used to woof my food down... big bites, chew five times and swallow... and nine times out of ten i would be up and down from my chair to see to others so i never paid any attention to the way i was eating, i just wanted to keep the meal moving.

all those years and bad habits, and now im relearning. SMALL bites, on a teaspoon...

CHEW at least thirty to fifty times if its chicken. i know it sounds a lot but i find that with meat the more you chew the more you can eat it without being stuck.

.. then WAIT... count for at least 20 - 30 seconds before putting another bite in your mouth. i find that meat is slower going down the esophagus, so i wait longer. softer foods dont take more than 20 seconds. i can feel the esophagus moving the food down now. i know when its in the pouch. you should be able to feel it as well. Being sensitive to that will save you from a lot of stuck episodes.

Chew a ice pop! My surgoen allowed sugar free ice pops! Its, almost, summer get some, try them! Best wishes. Karen