Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Scheduled Thursday... Does It Hurt? How Does If Feel? Advice?

I was supposed to get my first fill last Thursday, but because my port site incision became infected and they put me on antibiotics for 2 weeks and pushed my fill to this upcoming Thursday. Does it hurt? What does it feel like? Is it scary? I absolutely hate needles and am sort of scared and nervous... I am also excited though because I have been really hungry the last week and know I need my first fill STAT! Any advice/first fill experience anyone can share with me to help? Thanks!

I find the best way to get any kind of injection is to not watch the needle go in. So long as I do that I am fine. Normally they don't hurt, there is a small prick and that is it. It is a bit like getting blood taken or something.

The anticipation of what it will be like is generally worse than the reality.

Doesnt hurt at all! Dr feels around for your port pokes you (quick) weird part for me is i can always feel the Fluid when it is being taken out and being put in and the tightening. Its usually extremely FAST, they give you a bandaid but ive personally never had bleed ( but its possible) Then i get a sip of Water to make sure i can swallow if i can im good to go if i cant im readjusted with fluids removed. I would get a fill over blood drawn any day!!

It doesn't hurt but sometimes there is an uncomfortable feeling of them trying to find the port. It doesn't hurt it's just odd. I would not look at the needle it can be intimidating. My doctor wouldn't let me see if for my first 2 fills. You will feel a quick prick them you won't feel anything. The worst part for me we when she was pushing around on my port trying to find it. Hope it goes well =)

Just came back from my first fill and it wasn't bad at all! It did not hurt one bit, it was just uncomfortable/weird when my doc was poking around to find the sensor. He put in 5cc! I don't feel any different yet, but have only eaten liquids since.

Just know that one fill usually doesn't put you in the green zone... It takes time (and usually a few fills) to get the right restriction. No one warned me about this part, but know that it doesn't happen over night (even though I thought it would).

I know this, but am hoping i feel a little something after this first fill :)

On my first fill my doctor polked around until he found the access port too. The weird part of mine was the feeling in my stomach of tightening, I laughed and said that feels Soooo weird. He said he doesn't normally get laughing when he does a fill. I was worried that the port turned or didnt work. No worries after that first visit.

Oh YES. Mine rubs w a numbing gel, then a numbing shot, then the fill. I can honestly say I've never felt anything. She GOOD! First time every time! :)

My doctor is so sweet, he knows I'm a fainter so he distracts me talking, gives me lidocaine I put on one hour before procedure and asks if I want a numb injection. I don't need all those bells and whistles after the third fill. You really don't feel it kind of hear a little pop ( maybe my imagination) when it goes into port. Not a bad experience like I thought it might be....just look at the big picture of better health, make that vision!!!!

I was supposed to get my first fill last Thursday' date=' but because my port site incision became infected and they put me on antibiotics for 2 weeks and pushed my fill to this upcoming Thursday. Does it hurt? What does it feel like? Is it scary? I absolutely hate needles and am sort of scared and nervous... I am also excited though because I have been really hungry the last week and know I need my first fill STAT! Any advice/first fill experience anyone can share with me to help? Thanks![/quote']

My surgeon makes me do a crunch as he puts the needle in, then he sits me up and has me drink Water until it will not go down easily as he is putting saline in. Once it won't go down easily he takes some out and has me drink once again.

I don't even feel the needle, they numb the area.!

Jamy

Had my first fill yesterday. A little poke with some lidocaine to numb the area, was a really small stick and a little burning sensation, but lasted all of like 3 seconds. Then he did the fill, couldn't feel anything, had to drink 2 big gulps of Water, and he wanted it feel like there was only a slight hesitation before the water went down, or a little burp and then the water goes down. He put 3.4 CC's in for my first fill.