Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This No Drinks During And 30 Minute B4 & After Meal Rule Is Harder Than I Thought

I have a lot of restriction, and must take teeny tiny bites and chew like crazy, but I can still easily gulp Water. Everyone is different.

Not drinking during and after eating is hard. I find myself staring at the clock just waiting until I can have a drink some days.

Like Holly Dolly, my surgeon said I'm free to drink before eating, but I should wait 30-60 minutes after eating to drink again.

wow 60 min.. that is tuff..

I've never understood the 30 before eating rule. My doctor doesn't make us do that. If liquid goes right through the band what is the big deal? Asking because I don't know a real good answer.

Good question? I am not sure myself

I'm still in the mushy food stage post op and I took my wife to red lobster last night. I didn't even drink any of my Water. I got a to-go cup of water and told my wife that it was strange not drinking anything at the restaurant. Going to take some getting use too. Even though I don't have the restrictions of the fills yet I'm trying to get into good habits now for when I do.

ah im on the mushy stage too with no fills yet, but was told to do the 30 minute rule..

I drink right up until I eat. I make sure the Water is ice cold and I can feel when it is done draining out of my pouch. Then I eat.

I don't drink until 30 or 45 minutes after I am done eating.

They don't want you turning the contents of your pouch into a looser sludge that will drain quicker.

Think of it like a sink drain. If you have a thick applesauce draining down, it will slowly go through. If you add Water to it, it becomes thinner and will drain on through quicker.

You risk your brain not getting the full signal if the pouch is emptied too quickly. Plus when you empty it out faster it makes room for more. It can create a vicious unhealthy eating cycle. Don't go there. Not drinking with or directly after meals is one of the most important band rules!

As for gulping water. I can still take large sips/gulps but I have to wait for it to pass before I can chug some more. I don't think I could physically chug a whole glass of water at once without it wanting to come back up. It needs some time to drain.

What do you mean B-52? you can't do it always? Why not?

Think of a funnel. The large top portion is your pouch. It slopes down to that small narrow passage which would be your band. How small that passage is depends upon how tight your band is.

The concept is that food, Water, whatever has to pass through that small passage very slowly. Eat too fast and you get overfilled.

Now thinking about the funnel, you can pour Water through it slowly, as fast as it can pass through. Dump the whole container in, or put too much in there too fast.....Where do you think it's going to go???

That's why you cannot drink while eating. There is just so much room there, and you need to get the food in. Adding water will only add to the volume and over fill it too sudden.

Trust me...been there, done that. Know all this from first hand experience.

But it all depends upon how tight your band is.

Someone else mentioned hot-spicy food, which I love. But I had to give that up because, food will accumulate in your pouch and pass through the band slowly. It is one thing to have hot-spicy food go directly into your stomach, washed down with water, but it is entirely a different thing to have hot-spicy food sit there in a small confined are like your pouch. I wa getting severe acid reflux - heartburn, had to tone it down the spicy stuff.

I drink right up ti the time I begin to eat. As far as how soon after, I have learned to listen to my band and can tell when it is safe. Depends upon what I have just eaten most of the time.

I agree.. I must admit at time I drink like 10 mins later!!!! That doesnt really affect me in any way!!!!! So I dont worry too much about it... I do understand that everyone is different though!!!

All depends on how tight your band is, how much restriction you have. That's what makes everyone different.

I have a hard time getting my shake down in the morning, and forget any food first thing in the AM.

I am finding that it is hard for me to get anything down first thing in the morning also. Is that normal ?

My surgery isn't until April 25 but i tried doing it before i started my 10 day liquid diet and I had a hard time remembering it and sticking to it

This is the hardest thing I have encountered since my banding six months ago. I have lost 110 pounds so I guess I am doing something right. I have been known to take the tiniest of sips during a meal and just afterward because I don't like the lingering taste of food in my mouth. I swish a little, not obnoxiously if I'm eating with other.

I am finding that it is hard for me to get anything down first thing in the morning also. Is that normal ?

It is completely normal when you are at good restriction. I get ready in the AM and usually eat my greek yogurt with 1/4 cup of Kashi at my desk when I get to work. So that is about an hour to an hour and a half after I wake up. Yogurt is soft and I can do it in the AM. I can't do eggs or denser food in the AM.

Maybe a Protein shake will be best for you?

Like most others, i struggle with it, but ALWAYS obey the rules. I didn't get this band just to keep doing what I've always done and see no results. I've done every single thing that the doc has told me to. You just have to get in the mind set that you're going to do it... and watch the clock : ) I'm a month and a half out and it has gotten a little easier.

Normal for me...has been that way for a year now. I have my coffee, then I make a home made high Protein smoothie with about 45gm of Protein.< /p>

Gives me more nutrients and energy throughout the day than anything I would be able to eat in small quantities.