Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stainless Steel Sink advice needed......

All my neighbors and I use a squeegee on our shower doors after we take a shower. It keeps the Water spots from setting, and you don't have to clean as often.

I am ADDICTED to Bar Keeeper's Friend. It works magic on porcelain, too.

oh, after cleaning the stainless steel sink you can also rub it with wax paper. it helps to keep the waterspots and stains from setting in. it also will shine ita bit, a more natural looking shine, without the buildup from oil.

Shower doors? You know what really works incredibly? Lighter fluid... You have to clean it all off, but it works like an eraser on nastiness in general. It works for stickers and decals too (you have to score the vinyl ones though) Do not use on plastics or paint because it can remove finishes.

All of my appliances are stainless steel, I have found that ZEP SS cleaner is one of the best, for the granite try Granite Gold, which was available at Sams or costco.

My cleaning lady couldn't get through the day without Windex, she puts it on everything, except granite, due to the ammonia. You'd think they'd come up with something that would take the scratches out of SS, especially since it's so popular now.

As for the Magic Eraser, OMG, that is the greatest cleaning tool invented. The other day my son was wrestling on my white Berber carpet with his black soled shoes on and got black streaks all over my carpet. You guessed it, I grabbed the "Eraser" and every bit of it came up, of course that Eraser wasn't good for anything else after that.

Hardwood floors? Water and white vinegar is the only thing used on my floors. No film or build up.

Any suggestions for cleaning the LCD/Flat screen monitors, computer and tv type? I've tried those special cloths, but they don't really do the job. Where do all those smudges come from anyway? It's not like the gkids climb up the wall and put their hands on the screen or on the puter monitor.:confused: Sometimes my computer screen looks like I had a food fight with it.

Outdoor furntiure, that pvc stuff, take a garden sprayer, the hand pump up type, 1/2 Water and 1/2 boat bilge pump cleaner with just a little dish det, mix, spray on, let set a few minutes and hose off, removes all the mildews and winters residue.

Roof algae, that black mold stuff on the shingles, again, use a garden sprayer, mix equal parts bleach and water and a splash of dish det, which keeps it from running off the roof), start from the top, work your way down, and let the rain take care of washing it away. BE CAREFUL, it will become a little slippery and it's a long way to the ground when you're falling.

For shower walls and tub sides (not the floor of the tub!) a friend of mine uses rub on/buff off car wax! Water rolls right off with no chance for soap and mineral build up!

I will be using this on mine this week. We have horrible Iron deposits in our area that turns everything orange.

You gals (and guys) are awesome. I am doing some serious clean up around this house on my days off and some of these ideas are REALLY handy.

I had a gal at wal mart tell me to put a fabric softener sheet under the trash bag in the garbage can.

P.S. I love my magic erasers. I just wish they lasted longer.

Pat- I use rubbing alcohol on all my electronics. The moisture evaporates almost instantly and the grime comes off as quickly as using soap & Water. No streaks! I have a 2 year old and clean my TV and monitor at least once/week. This also works for the keyboard. Get some cheap swabs and a big chunk of time... Magic Erasers are the best.

Here's an idea for the sink again- is the problem discoloration on the drain? If you are looking to impress (short term beauty) try brasso on a really dry drain. It removes tarnish like those black or green splotches on the non-stainless steel part.

oh fabric softner is a secret weapon in our house. i have a spritz bottle that i fill with Water, and a spoonful of fabric softner. it takes wrinkles out of hanging items, like curtains, or a light blouse. it is also great on the carpet and couch and other upholstered items o make the house smell fresh. i also put sheets of fabric softner between stacks of towels that maybe are not used that often. same for bed linens and clothes that are put away for the season. It keeps them smelling fresh, andnot needing that wash when they are pulled out again. Also, sheets of fabric softner are great to help frizz in your hair. Lightly run it over your hair after blowdrying. It takes the static out, and calms the fizz a bit. also good to wipe on tv screens and computer screens and anywhere else that gets really dusty from static.

My cleaning solution: the maid

Seriously, hire a cleaning profession, especially if your going to sell the house. It may cost a few bucks, but a lot less then you will spend in time and energy trying to clean it urself, the are the professionals.

I must be spoiled, we have a maid who comes once a week for about 6 hours and she pretty much does everything (even the ironing) my kitchen looks spotless when shes done with it and i have a stainless steel sink as well. not to mention a glass top stove that is IMPOSSIBLE to get clean. I think the trick is to wash it with soap and Water and then dry it with a towel before it air dries...or something....thats all she does to my sink. This is my sink and stove after 5 days of use with no cleaning.

Img_0317.jpgImg_0316.jpg

As for the Magic Eraser, OMG, that is the greatest cleaning tool invented

How true!

Jenna, if you are going to sell your house soon, start de-cluttering NOW.

Trust me, Ive sold 2 homes in 2 years with the 5 of us living in these homes - and sold it within a week (both times). By de-cluttering, this means allowing alot of baseboards to show. If you need to buy a storage room to bring all the extra, then do so. We stored alot of stuff in the attic - and brought tons of toys to the grand's.

I love the cleaning wipes. These worked awesome for a quick bathroom/kitchen wipe down when a potential buyer was on their way (also makes things smell fresh).

Which brings up another point..... the odor of your home. This is a BIG thing for the seller to deal with. One idea is to use baby power on your carpets for a light aroma (make sure you do this BEFORE you dust). I use glade plug-in's (tropical mist) in a couple of the rooms that have a stronger odor then others (like the boys room, and our entrance room). Some people light a candle, or spray a room deodorizer prior to a visit.

These are just some ideas that come to mind.

Old realtor's secret - Bake Cookies or some other comfort food that smells good... Or just dab a spot of vanilla on a lightbulb. If it smells like comfort food - it will sell faster.

Another old realtor's secret - and you won't believe this, but it really sells. Paint the garage floor. Men love it because they get the vision of working in the garage. Women love it because it looks clean. Really, invest in a couple of cans of cement paint.

And Paula is right about the De-Clutter thing. You want them to be able to envision the home with their stuff in it - not be overwhelmed by yours.

Take as many knick-knacks and personal items as you can and box them up. Go for a little Starkness over too much Stuff.

Good Luck!!