Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stainless Steel Sink advice needed......

Okay all you queen of cleans... i need help. I have the regular stainless steel sink and it is all dingy looking. I can't seem to get it nice looking. What can I use on it to sparkle it up????? And there are a couple of color stains in the drain area. A year and 1/2 ago it looked all clean and strerile, now it looks like a bacteria pit even when i scrub it clean!!

Does it look nicer when it's wet? Once I was housesitting for someone while they were selling their house. Before a showing, I would rub a small amount of cooking oil into the metal with a paper towel. Gleaming gorgeousness...

There is a stainless steel cleaner you can buy, but I can't remember the name of it. It is in a powder form like comet. I use to get it at Wal-Mart. We have really hard Water (lots of iron). Everything is orange. I just don't bother with it anymore, but it does work. It used to make mine look new again.

Okay, I thought I would search a little on the net too. Some say to scrub baking soda into it then rinse and dry, then buff flour onto it, rinse then dry, then rub a thin baby oil coating over it. Geez, this seems like a lot of work to get it to look nice. I wish I would have sprung for the expensive porcelin sink 2 years ago!!!

Now that I am thinking of it.... anyone else have any ideas for housekeeping for common areas of problems????

I use Coke to clean my toilets and works great!!!

Ice cubes and lemon wedges clean my garbage disposal and keep my blades sharp.

I have used Comet and a SOS pad with good results. I use the SOS pad to scrub in the Comet with a little Water. Let it sit for a few minutes, then wash out with a sponge. Always leaves it pretty for me!!

((sigh)) I just think the sink is doomed. I tried the baking soda, flour, buffing, baby oil thing.... Although it is shiny, it is still all old looking. And it is only 2 years old. I have some of the Barkeepers (in the garage, never used lol), I think I will venture that tomorrow. I am selling this house in 2 months and I am trying to make everything look fantastic. Painting, cleaning grout, etc etc....

By the way, anyone have a good idea for taking the soap film off of the shower glass doors? I have scrubbed my fingers raw and although it looks good when it is rinsed, it comes back when it dries!!! I am furious with it!!!

Scrub it with a sponge then wipe dry. Apply oil into it. Baby oil works ok, so does Lemon oil for furniture.

Some other cleaning tips:

Soak a washcloth in hot Water with a little soap and stick it on the swiffer to mop the floors. No Need for 'swiffer wet'.

If you have old mirrors that get bad looking smears when you use windex, try using only Water. Water will not leave any smears.

If you get bad hard water on glass shower doors: clean the glass really well with lime away, then rinse clean until it looks perfect. After it's completely dry, apply rain-x. It will keep water from sticking to the shower door and will stay looking great.

Lime away is great on hard soap scum, and the rain-x does a great job too! I've used the dish towel on the swiffer with 409 or other cleaners, I double it over for extra absorbancy and it works great.

We used to own an ice cream shop with a huge triple stainless sink. I kept it clean with bar keepers friend, and once in a while polished it with car polish to keep oily residue and Water spots at bay. It seems to me that oil would resist water spots, but attract grime...though I've never tried it.

Get Stainless Steel Magic at Home Depot. Costs about 6.00

I have clean my sink with this stuff and it looks better than new. They also have one called Counterop Magic...great for granite, cultured marble, etc.

to brighten up those walls and baseboards and any other surface that you are not replacing or repainting.... get yourself a magic eraser!!! I SWEAR by them now. They are also great to remove any pet smell if you have a cat. scrub the floor and wall by the litter box and you would never know you had a cat.