Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I'm a sushi newbie...prebanding the most exotic I tried was tuna and I liked it, I think I have a taste for it and would like whatever I try. What is the best sushi to get?

I love sushi, but some is easier to eat than others after Lap-Banding. I do well with any of the diced typed sushi's and hand rolls (cuz before they hand roll it I ask them to not make it so thick and skip some of the rice.)

I find the tigers' eye, iko types seem to do well. (Sea bass, urchin, calamari sushi seems to be easier to handle.)

Good Luck and Happy Band Journeys To All

Well lets first establish something,

are we talking about the real sushi, sweetend vinager rice (rolls)

or

sashimi, raw fish fillets ?

personaly i like the broiled eel, tuna, red snapper ,flounder,,,, ah hell i like just about all of it.

try a eel spider roll or a fried salmon skin roll, talk about heaven :eek: :P

I can live with out the sushi rolls from the store, thier no better then a cheese sandwich on dry bread.< /p>

mmm, I love sushi! I had some yesterday. Here's what I got:

California roll (crab)

Bagel roll (salmon,cream cheese)

Fresh Water eel

Yellowtail

Submarine (avocado, salmon, yellowtail)

I love the sushi with cream cheese in it, but I know it's not that great for me so I try to stay away from it. One of my old favorites was called "Yummi Yummi". It was flash-fried and had tuna and cream cheese in it. Mmmmmm......

Forgot to add: I think sushi is such a personal thing. You have to try many different types until you find the things that you favor the most. I started out eating basic rolls (like your tuna), but have graduated to sashimi.

I think I've read that the Japanese believe that every time you try something new, you increase your life span by 75 days. I like to think about that when I'm eating sushi :eek:

I'm a sushi freak! But - you guys have your bands and can eat it? I assumed it would be something I'd have to give up. I know everyone is different, but you're giving me a glimmer of hope! So what do you guys do - just light on the rice and... can you do the nori? What about the sushimi -- too hard to chew it to the right consistency, or does it do ok?

As for my fav. types, Maguro, Hamachi, Unagi (all Nigiri), and for Maki -- Tekka, California, and Boston. Mmmmm... dammit I'm on liquids today. :eek:

Spicey tuna rolls...my favorite. Though the last time we went out to a good resturant was just before my fill. I had fried tofu (not sushi but goes well with it YUM! and a sashimi combo plate. Recently I have had an allergic reaction twice to sushi we got at the grocery...so I've decided not to go that route anymore. Everyone in our house likes the maki rolls, even the 6 year old. I think since banding I prefer the Sashimi.

Oh my gosh!! I'm so glad I found this thread. I absolutely love sushi but haven't gone near it due to my fear of rice. I suppose I could do as others have said and ask for less rice and see how it goes. I think I'm going to have some tomorrow. Yum, yum, yum. I cannot wait!! *drool*

Alot of sushi places you can as for rice paper instead of the nori, which pretty much just melts away when you put it in your mouth. My favorite thing that I've found is sushi bowls, where they lay the sashimi on top of a bowl of rice instead of making rolls or pieces.

I love tuna the best, but salmon is very soft and chewable. :confused:

The very worst PB I ever had was on the seaweed salad that came with some sushi. Oy vey.

Sashimi--that is, just the fish--is my very favorite food and has never caused me any problems. It's the rice and fibrous vegetables that might present problems for bandsters. Graduate to sashimi and you'll be golden. :biggrin1:

I love it, I don't have it as often as I'd like, cause the hubby hates it. He got really sick after eating sushi one time and he stays away from it like its the devil.

The very worst PB I ever had was on the seaweed salad that came with some sushi. Oy vey.

Sashimi--that is, just the fish--is my very favorite food and has never caused me any problems. It's the rice and fibrous vegetables that might present problems for bandsters. Graduate to sashimi and you'll be golden. :biggrin1:

I also love sashimi!